Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

phalaenopsis

Nimitz
Posted 21/06/2008 - 19:35 Link
Very nice - but I do like the light on the first one better - the back flower is better lit....and that adds a lot to the image.

I got no clue how you remove the shadow.

Keep it up
gartmore
Posted 21/06/2008 - 19:51 Link
Nimitz wrote:
Very nice - but I do like the light on the first one better - the back flower is better lit....and that adds a lot to the image.

Keep it up

Cant win

I moved the back light to the other side - but clearly too far

I'm going to move it slighty back again and re-shoot but I'm not going to re-post you will all be glad to hear... well, unless it is spectaculrly better
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Nimitz
Posted 21/06/2008 - 20:00 Link
gartmore wrote:
Nimitz wrote:

Keep it up

Cant win

I moved the back light to the other side - but clearly too far

I'm going to move it slighty back again and re-shoot but I'm not going to re-post you will all be glad to hear... well, unless it is spectaculrly better

lol - well - I think the composition is just excellent. Would imagine you could PS the first one a lot better.....

Keep it up....one of the best flower pics we have had for a long time here.
ChrisA
Posted 22/06/2008 - 00:51 Link
gartmore wrote:
Cant win

I like the second one much, much more.

Notwithstanding those that liked the white before, I think the detail is much clearer in the second one, both in the centre of the foreground one, and its petals.

There's also enough in focus in the background one to maintain interest - I find my eyes flitting from foreground to background.

And then when I finally rest on the centre of the foreground one, it's satisfyingly sharp, and I can enjoy the detail.

I find I'm liking the composition now, too.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reshoot. You've also reinforced my self-confidence in appraising photos, which may or may not, of course, be a good thing...
Daniel Bridge
Posted 22/06/2008 - 11:39 Link
Re: cropping/framing, I was using the term 'crop' not to imply that you'd cropped the image after taking it, but cropping the subject when you took it. Framing would have been a better term, I agree.

Second one looks a little less bright than the first, to me it looks as though the exposure could be lifted a bit, but then Chris might not like it again. Also, I prefered the tendrils of the back flower in the first shot, they had a nice highlight on them, and were a little further from the edge of the frame. Still a lovely shot though.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
gartmore
Posted 22/06/2008 - 17:42 Link
Daniel Bridge wrote:
Re: cropping/framing, I was using the term 'crop' not to imply that you'd cropped the image after taking it, but cropping the subject when you took it. Framing would have been a better term, I agree.

Second one looks a little less bright than the first, to me it looks as though the exposure could be lifted a bit, but then Chris might not like it again. Also, I prefered the tendrils of the back flower in the first shot, they had a nice highlight on them, and were a little further from the edge of the frame. Still a lovely shot though.

Dan

You know its funny, exposure was the same on both shots so the only variables were focus and my mucking about in PSE. I have to say I just poke about and, wrongly, dont make or take notes of what I do The truth is out.

So extremely limited edition pics are the result.

I liked the first one best too so I'm going to dodge it since the plant has gone in the huff and started to wilt and I'll keep the result hidden from Chris.

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
ChrisA
Posted 22/06/2008 - 17:58 Link
gartmore wrote:
and I'll keep the result hidden from Chris.

Long live subjectivity

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.