people leave pentax site ??

jeff0000

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 09:43
I have noticed that a lot of the old members have left or closed down there account I have seen 3 go from here in 4 weeks WHY????????? is it coz they have gone e to the darkside or have they got fed up ? the 3 were good on the site so why have they gon with no good bye or reason.
playing firm but fair all the way

japers45

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 09:52
I guess people come and go quite a bit.

I think it unlikely that people are "fed up", but if that is the case I suppose that's up to them, there are lots of new members too

walkeja

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 10:03
They could be on holiday!
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

Cayman

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 10:09
there would appear to be some who just join either to sell stuff or get a answer to a question and then move on

thoughton

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 10:31
Which 3 have you seen go?
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

johnriley

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 10:32
People come and go, depending on their Pentax interests. If they go, experience has shown that goodbyes can be a shockingly bad idea - they have always resulted in furious arguments as to why they have moved on to something else. I can't recall an "I've moved to ...... and this is why" thread that ended well.

I suppose that if someone loses interest they won't bother to return to explain, and there could be many reasons other than that. Indeed some do join, ask or sell and move on.

Sometimes they return as well, and are always welcome to do so. PU is an open door.
Best regards, John

Mike-P

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 10:58
People mostly move on because they have changed brands. To come on here and basically say they have found that Canikon can give better results than Pentax is probably not the best of ideas .. as many have found out.

Usual reason is going FF .. something you cannot get with the current Pentax range.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

wvbarnes

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 10:59
I joined when I bought first a KX and then a KR after many years without a SLR camera.

I initially 'joined' to get the Pentax Magazine which sadly shut after I'd only received a few issues. I'm really not sure of the value of the replacement virtual subscription in place of the printed mag.

The Forum however is excellent.

I've since learned a lot, been amused a lot, helped one or two novice photographers out (surprising how many people have some expensive gear without understanding the basics), bought some gear, posted some pics for critique and generally enjoyed being on here.
Last Edited by wvbarnes on 10/08/2011 - 11:00

Gwyn

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 11:09
thoughton wrote:

Good question. You've got me curious now Jeff.

I'm just busy at the moment so not so active. Still read daily but rarely feel the need to respond.

gartmore

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 11:10
Sadly, a fair number of members whom I held in some regard have left because of the platitudes that often pass as C&C.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

dougf8

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 11:14
gartmore wrote:
Sadly, a fair number of members whom I held in some regard have left because of the platitudes that often pass as C&C.

Until the forum (commercial Ltd company) decides that members require qualifications in English, and/or photography/art/media then its just the simple old fashioned bullying that goes on, that will dissuade people from posting platitudes.

Shame we can't stop people posting bobbins images too.
Lurking is shirking.!

fatspider

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 11:17
Quote:

I'm curious too now

Perhaps there should be an automatic posting informing us someone has gone, I'm changing my username to Elvis before I go, then you can all still se me occasionally
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

DrOrloff

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 11:31
Members come and go for all sorts of reasons as with all forums. There are a few who have appeared to have left since I joined and whom I miss either for their photos or humorous contributions. Some have left their website links and I check their work out from time to time.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

michaelblue

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 11:34
If I hadn't joined the forum I wouldn't have my fantastic K7 or the equally satisfying DA 55-300 lens!
It's also nice/demoralising/challenging to see some of the amazing photos posted by other members.
So I'm happy!
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

Gwyn

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 11:48
DrOrloff wrote:
Members come and go for all sorts of reasons as with all forums. There are a few who have appeared to have left since I joined and whom I miss either for their photos or humorous contributions. Some have left their website links and I check their work out from time to time.

I agree. I for one really miss Oggy. He is still a member but hasn't been around for months.
It's a shame when members just seem to vanish. I just hope that those who were active and are no more are all well and happy.
Whilst I can understand to some extent those who choose to switch systems not posting their farewells here it would be nice to know that they have gone for a good reason, and not due to a problem with the forum or due to ill health or something.

As far as leaving due to platitudes, well that it is the nature of a forum. Not everyone feels able to give a detailed critique of a photo, but they know they like what they see.

Even on more "professional" sites than this you still get mundane comments and platitudes, plus some really nasty, snide comments.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.