Pentax woes, tell us about yours.

Mike-P

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 09:13
tyronet2000 wrote:
Wonder what the rate of Photographer failure is? Mine is 99.9% but I still enjoy it

Now now, don't start going off topic with mildly amusing comments.
. My Flickr

gartmore

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 14:37
I've just discovered that the iris in my 200mm SMC Takumar has stuck. It was only bought in 1977; should I send it back to Pentax and demand a new Pentax smc DA* 200mm f2.8 ED(IF) SDM Lens?

That, and a much loved and well used 645 that needed a new main board after about twenty years are the only problems I've had.

Fair wear and tear I think.

I know one very famous photojournalist who won't use Nikon because of reliability issues. In the film days he preferred Minolta.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

andrewk

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 14:53
Pentax woes? I have a K200D with 18-55mm ALII kit lens and three other Pentax lenses none of which is under 30 years old and all of which work perfectly.

Woes?? None that I can think of.

Andrew
Flickr photostream

japers45

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 15:17
I had a sensor stain on the K5- it took me 2 months to notice it. It wasnt the end of the world, I took the faulty K5 to Rome and got some good pictures- then I had it replaced when I got back no questions asked.

I agree with those who say it isnt about the problem but how it is dealt with.

Just read AP at lunchtime- seems the latest problem is with the Sony Alpha 77 (letters page) and firmware issues as yet unresolved- Sony have not ackowledged the problem.

Eagle12

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 15:21
The only regret I have about Pentax is that I didn't discover them years ago, instead of messing around with Minolta Dynax 5000i and 7000i.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 16:08
I've had a P30, a mz50, an istDl2 (all of which were stolen), a k200d and a k7, a P30t and a Z70. None have skipped a beat! So my general perception of Pentax products is of reliability.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to diminish the problems people have had with the k5, which are clearly well above the norm.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Frogfish

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 16:16
Pentaxophile wrote:
I've had a P30, a mz50, an istDl2 (all of which were stolen), a k200d and a k7, a P30t and a Z70. None have skipped a beat! So my general perception of Pentax products is of reliability.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to diminish the problems people have had with the k5, which are clearly well above the norm.

But are they ? Take the stain issue out of the equation (and maybe blame Sony as well as Pentax for that ) and what are you left with ? More than the industry 'standard' of around 5% ?

My first Pentax was a K7 - zero issues, in my K5 I had a main board failure, quickly changed and normal service resumed. I'd happily take a K5 any day of the week - and if it has any issues get them resolved - just to be able to shoot with this wonderful camera.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Last Edited by Frogfish on 09/11/2011 - 16:17

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 16:37
I think Pentax, not Sony, are ultimately responsible for the QC of Pentax cameras, in fact I don't think it's so much the sensor as the AA filter assembly. But I agree perhaps the stain issue has sensitized k5 owners to further niggling faults which they might previously have forgiven Pentax for...
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Don

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 17:43
Frogfish wrote:
Pentaxophile wrote:

But are they ? Take the stain issue out of the equation (and maybe blame Sony as well as Pentax for that ) and what are you left with ? More than the industry 'standard' of around 5% ?

My first Pentax was a K7 - zero issues, in my K5 I had a main board failure, quickly changed and normal service resumed. I'd happily take a K5 any day of the week - and if it has any issues get them resolved - just to be able to shoot with this wonderful camera.

I also wonder if changes in manufacturing forced by society and governments to reduce the use of lead solder is a contributing factor as well, which would affect all camera makers BTW not just pentax... so relibility may be advesely affected for many new peoducts accross the board?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

johnriley

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 18:17
Quote:
I also wonder if changes in manufacturing forced by society and governments to reduce the use of lead solder is a contributing factor as well, which would affect all camera makers BTW not just pentax... so relibility may be advesely affected for many new peoducts accross the board?

I understand this is a recognised problem.
Best regards, John

tyronet2000

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 18:26
What do they use for solder now? I know lots of components are surface mounted rather than chips in sockets, but thought the actual connections were still soldered. Probably manufactured by the company that put in the cheapest tender
Regards
Stan

PPG

Belinda B.

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 21:09
Hyram's new K3 still has not arrived.
Belinda B.

Mannesty

Link Posted 10/11/2011 - 14:28
Well my hopes have been realized and Pentax have agreed to replace my AF160FC, so now I have nothing at all to moan about.

My dealer has sorted out all and every issue for me by replacing my two duff DA* 16-50mm lenses that suffered early life failure (early batch too), and my duff AF160FC flash which will be with me next week.

Reason enough to choose a reputable, reliable, and customer-centric dealer I think.

Who's my dealer? SRS of course.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Tringa

Link Posted 10/11/2011 - 16:44
The worst thing that happened to my K5 is me. About 9 days after buying it and on the first day of a two week plus holiday in Islay and NW Scotland, I dropped it on a tarmac path.

Apart from some scratches it was unscathed.

I had read a lot about the step up to a DSLR from a simpler camera and even though I understand a lot of the basics of photography, I had been a bit concerned. I should not have been, so much of it is intuitive and so many of the controls are just in the right place. It is a great camera and being able to use a number of lenses that haven't seen the light of day for about 30 years is a bonus.

Dave

davidrobinson

Link Posted 11/11/2011 - 10:14
Pentax will have it's problems as will all manufacturers, we will see more of them here than the NikCanOlyPraSon users. When I worked for a Ford dealer I became obsessed with Ford problems and Fords short comings, I totaly forgot about the benefits. At the same time my colleagues at other Dealers were tearing their hair out about their chosen manufacturer problems, however I didnt see it. Lets enjoy and discuss and not become dejected. And yes lead free solder is more brittle and has caused problems in cars.
David
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.