Pentax woes, tell us about yours.

geordie01

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 21:39
I have had to change the batteries on my p30 the other day that's 5 times in 18 years !!
I had to send my first k-r back to jessops after a fortnight due to complete failure but the next one i got from srs is still going strong after 10 months

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 21:47
I spent Sunday with an old friend (Deer shots in Photos). He has a Canon 500D, I found it very light and plasticcy (if there is such a word) compared to my K-7. The K-7 just feels so much more of a camera, chunky and dependable and would survive a fall or two. Also it has so many more usable features. I tried to change the DR on the canon but couldn't find it and not sure it has it. We were taking a picture of a tree against a bright clear blue sky and the Canon could not get the detail in the dark foreground that I could with the Pentax.
And to think, when I started looking for my first DSLR the 500d was top of my list, I then switched to the Nikon D90, then read a write up on the K20 and WR sprung up but because its burst rate was poor (karting shots) I settled on the Nikon D300 (not S) but then the news broke of the K-7 5 fps and every article I read waxed lyrical about it so that is how I became a Pentaxian, and a proud one too.
Oh, and I have had tremendous fun playing with some old and cheap manual lenses which has probably taught me more about how to use the camera than anything else.
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

Mannesty

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 21:50
johnriley wrote:
What an incredibly negative thread title....

Well, you could view it as negative as some others have, but it's just a title. Did you read my post?

I listed some of the very few issues I've had. All have been resolved, or are in the process of being resolved. I'd call that quite positive.

My choice of title was deliberate. I'd hoped to provoke some topical discussion and apart from a few humerous diversions, it largely succeeded.

I fully expected that most contributers to this thread would actually be happy with their Pentax kit and with the eventual resolution of any problems they'd had. I know I am.

It's annoying and sometimes downright inconvenient when a camera fails, and somebody's well known law says that "if anything can go wrong, it will". IMHO, good after sales service is what keeps us happy with our Pentax kit.

I'm sure we all accept that whatever piece of sophisticated equipment you care to name, irrespective of the maker, it will have it's problems for some consumers. How those problems are fixed is what's important to me.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 08/11/2011 - 22:00

michaelblue

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 22:00
geordie01 wrote:
I have had to change the batteries on my p30 the other day that's 5 times in 18 years !!
I had to send my first k-r back to jessops after a fortnight due to complete failure but the next one i got from srs is still going strong after 10 months

Like I've always said ...don't buy anything from jessops!
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

nass

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 23:19
Pentax let me down: my W90 broke halfway through the holiday of a lifetime and I didn't get the pics of my 7 year old swimming with turtles. K-7, fine. W90, pos.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

Unlocker

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 23:42
We've had:-

3x faulty K-7s, all replaced no quibble
2x faulty K-5s, both replaced no quibble
1x DA* 16-50 die the day before a wedding shoot, replaced morning of wedding before SRS even opened
1x DA* 50-135 that went back for repair so many times it got replaced around 2 years old when SRS demanded a new one out of Pentax.
3x Faulty Metz 58s with zoom errors, 2 replaced no quibble, 1 repaired quickly for free around 2 years old.

Yes that's negative...but... due to building up a good relationship with my dealer it was dealt with quickly, sometimes instantly and always positively.

Let's hope Ricoh put a lot of attention into QC as it is sorely needed, in the mean time, just buy from a decent dealer, price alone should not be your deciding factor!

WebsiteBlogGearTwitterFacebook

davidstorm

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 23:59
I'VE ONLY EVER OWNED ONE PENTAX DSLR (K-x) AND I'VE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. MY SON HAS A USED K-m AND HAS NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. IN CASE YOU'RE WONDERING WHY I AM SHOUTING - I AM TRYING TO GET A POSITIVE MESSAGE ACROSS AS I THINK PENTAX GEAR IS BRILLIANT!!!!!

Apologies to those of you who've had problems, but I suspect most have been more than pleased. On a somewhat related point, I own a Saab 9-3 (silly beggar I hear you cry) and when I first purchased this car I was almost swept away by the tide of negativity on forums. Suffice to say the car is fantastic and has now covered over 100,000 miles with barely a sweat broken.

Best wishes, David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

robbiec

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 00:40
K-5 replaced without quibble by SRS last December. AF issues in low light @ wider than f/2.8. Other than that no issues at all with new kit.
My Gallery
[url=http://pentaxphotogallery.com/Robbie Corrigan]ppg[/url]

tyronet2000

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 07:50
michaelblue wrote:

Like I've always said ...don't buy anything from jessops!

Jessops are letting me play with my camera as I pay for it (interest free)

If I'd had to save up to buy it I'd most probably found a different hobby in that time. Would not use Jacobs ( Newcastle branch )they had a lens I'd ordered go to someone in Glasgow. So a 2 hour trip in a bus for nothing!

I think speak as you find is probably the right way to go.
Regards
Stan

PPG

ChrisA

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 08:14
Long before I'd even heard of SRS, I bought my K10D from Jessops, never a problem with it.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

simonkit

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 08:17
Pleased to say (touch wood)I haven't had a single problem in 4yrs of Pentax ownership.

On the whole you tend to see people with negative experiences commenting on it much more than those with positive ones so looking at this forum over the past year or two I get the impression that Pentax is at least comparable to other manufacturers when it comes to QC

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link

johnriley

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 08:40
The dedicated Canon and Nikon forums are full of unhappy people for one reason or another.

I had some stats once about the failure rates of video recorders and the best ones still had a 15% or so failure rate within the first year. The worst were over 35%, which is staggering.

Camera failure rates don't seem to be anywhere near as high as that.
Best regards, John

Mike-P

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 08:52
Does it not say something that every single negative comment on this thread which involves a camera has named a K-5 as a problem?
. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 09/11/2011 - 08:52

DrOrloff

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 09:01
Failure of sophisticated electronic goods happens. The important issue is how it is dealt with when things go wrong.

I have friends who have had failures with Canons, the latest only earlier this week. Canon were very good, received the faulty camera one day and the replacement arrived the following morning. My early experiences with Pentax were extrememly frustrating. Since I have switched to SRS any issue has been dealt with impeccably and I feel very confident that I am fully supported. I agree with those who have said find a good dealer.

Oh and don't get me started on Ford.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

tyronet2000

Link Posted 09/11/2011 - 09:11
Wonder what the rate of Photographer failure is? Mine is 99.9% but I still enjoy it
Regards
Stan

PPG
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.