Pentax SMC DFA 100mm F/2.8 Macro

Jonnylawman

Link Posted 08/04/2011 - 13:41
Because I browse (and shop!) frequently at Amazon I get daily emails from them about items that they think I might like.

Often the emails are pointless - if I have just bought a portable 320gb hard drive then I hardly want to know about similar drives that they have on special offer! (particularly if the one I have just splashed out for has gone down!!!).

However, today's had some Pentax lenses in it and one was the DFA 100mm F/2.8 Macro.

(My wife is a butterfly enthusiast and I must have been researching macro lenses such as this on Amazon as using my Tamron 70-300 macro is not ideal).

Synergy Electronics were selling this NEW for under 140 including postage and, as I was sure this was a bargain (Amazon had the rrp at 699.99) I clicked on BUY after I had checked that Synergy seemed reputable with decent feedback.

Do bargains on lenses like this come up from time to time or have I somehow bought a dud?

It was advertised as new and, having returned items before from Amazon even from marketplace sellers) without difficulty I took a chance.

However, I am now worried. Should I be?

Jonnylawman

thoughton

Link Posted 08/04/2011 - 14:11
That must be a pricing error, but hopefully they'll honor it

I just had a look at Synergy Electronics on Amazon, and they aren't offering the Pentax 100mm macro anymore, just the 360 flash and 50-200 lens.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!

greynolds999

Link Posted 08/04/2011 - 14:16
Not at all.

Amazon (rightly) have an excellent system for buyers. They don't even pay the money to the seller for a week so if you have an issue you will get your money back.

If the stock is advertised as new it must be. And remember that by law, you are entitled to open the box, check the item and even take a couple of pictures.

And if you then decide you don't want it they are responsible for the return postage.

They are far, far easier and safer than eBay for this sort of thing.

Terms - but note that Amazon are legally incorrect about the return postage costs.
My Photobucket

Jonnylawman

Link Posted 08/04/2011 - 16:28
Oh, I didn't think that it might be a pricing error! I was just worried that it was so cheap because it wasn't really new or was known to be faulty.

The lens being sold was the last one they had and so I was even more keen to secure it!

Assuming I don't get an email saying that the price was wrong and it was 340 and it does arrive then I will give it a thorough test to check that all is OK.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Jonnylawman

col55555ine

Link Posted 16/04/2011 - 13:47
have you recieved your lens yet?
k-5 IIs, Pentax 60-250, 17-70, 100macro WR, 50mm F2,
AF50 F1.4, Siggy 10-20, Siggy 100-300 F4, ..Pentax Af 160 ring flash

Jonnylawman

Link Posted 17/04/2011 - 17:37
No, and it ain't never going to arrive!

It turned out to be a clear pricing error but, instead of honouring the mistake or even contacting me to suggest a deal, the seller via Amazon cancelled the order on the basis that the item was supposedly out of stock!

I suppose it was a bit too good to be true!

Jonnylawman

layingback

Link Posted 18/04/2011 - 07:55
Yeah, had that happen in the past with Amazon "partners" (non-photographic). In my case lost the chance to buy the seasonal product from anyone as it took the seller a week to discover he didn't have the product. The really annoying aspect of this is that you can't warn others through Amazon Reviews as you aren't able to leave a comment on a seller-cancelled order!

Googling my seller showed that he had a pattern of doing this. I suspect it's caused by remote selling, meaning they don't own/manage the stock at all, they buy from another vendor on-demand, so have no stock control per se.

I "discussed" this at length with Amazon at the time, and basically they agreed that was a very good reason to want to leave a negative review, but no, they weren't going to change their policy!

So I've not paid any attention to Amazon negative review numbers since.
My PENTAX Page

Algernon

Link Posted 18/04/2011 - 09:00
If the original email was a "Special Offer" they should have honoured it.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Jonnylawman

Link Posted 19/04/2011 - 13:46
I did think about starting up correspondence with Amazon over it but then Helios posted a Sigma 105mm macro for sale and I decided to go for that instead and forget about the 'bit too good to be true' Pentax one!

The Sigma should arrive tomorrow!

Jonnylawman
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.