Pentax smc DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited

George Lazarette

Link Posted 11/07/2009 - 21:54
In my view the perspective of the first and third give the impression that you are very close. Personally, I don't like that, though Shim seems to take the opposite view and that's fine. It's all a matter of taste.

For that reason, I think that the middle one, where you are further back, has the best, most natural, perspective.

However, the other two both have charm. The same framing on a longer lens would, to me, make them look better.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 11/07/2009 - 22:00
mikew wrote:
Stefan - I'm guessing that George thought it was cropped because he can identify the perspective you expect from various focal lengths on a face having had many more years experience than you and I. He possibly couldn't have said 50mm equivalent but in FF range he 'knew' it wasn't 60mm equivalent.

Then again I may be wrong!

Mike

That, and the fact that it is square!

G

Anvh

Link Posted 11/07/2009 - 22:02
I'm with you their George.
This one is done with the 100mm

Not framed that well but the "perspective" is nicer.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

George Lazarette

Link Posted 11/07/2009 - 22:05
BODYHEAT wrote:

I think there is some semantic issues around what the word 'portrait' means. For me, portrait has always meant head, shoulders and some torso, which would make 85mm a good choice, as opposed to 'headshot' which is basically the head and perhaps some neck for which you might want a longer focal length, like the old 120mm 2.8 which is a lovely lens, although there are exceptions.

I am sure you are right. I like a very tight portrait, so a longer focal length is essential.

Quote:
Maybe we'd all be better photographers if there wasn't a choice of lenses and we had to think more carefully of how we compose and use a 'standard' lens, which would be in the 35mm-43mm range I guess for digital.

Make that 31mm to 43mm (for obvious reasons!), but I agree with you.

G

morelia

Link Posted 11/07/2009 - 22:07
The last shot is very "3D", very nice of the head.

Anvh

Link Posted 11/07/2009 - 22:13
Thank you John but we're going quite of topic here

If you want a portrait lens I would suggest the DA70 or FA77 those are perfect I believe for that. 40mm is fine but not for the tight portrait shots and that's why I bought that lens and also to have some freedom when shooting indoors, it's a nice lens for that.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

George Lazarette

Link Posted 11/07/2009 - 22:17
Anvh wrote:
I'm with you their George.
This one is done with the 100mm

Not framed that well but the "perspective" is nicer.

Agreed. Not quite as sharp as it might be, but lovely soft colours,and a good capture.

I suspect you would love the 77mm.

G

Anvh

Link Posted 11/07/2009 - 22:32
Mhmm think so too George but the price
It's clearly worth it though but still can use the money somewhere else now at the moment to my spite.
Maybe next year.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.