Pentax smc DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited

mikew

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 12:56
No problem Stefan - one of the problems with the way forums list their entries

Mind you, you now have George to deal with although compared to a grumpy old man like me he's a pussycat!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 13:16
Quote:
Mind you, you now have George to deal with although compared to a grumpy old man like me he's a pussycat!

Sorry Mike. When it comes to needlessly excoriating comments, you're not even in the same league as George! Bless him.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

mikew

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 13:18
Try me some time

Then again I suspect you'e right!

Mike
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 19:43
Anvh wrote:
Don't you think that focal length is quite personal and also how can you agree that 24mm is better then 40mm, you don't even know where he wants to use it for

How many 60mm lenses were available for 35mm cameras in film days?

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 19:44
Pentaxophile wrote:
Sorry Mike. When it comes to needlessly excoriating comments, you're not even in the same league as George! Bless him.

I'll take that as a compliment.

G

Malo1961

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 20:12
George Lazarette wrote:
Anvh wrote:
Don't you think that focal length is quite personal and also how can you agree that 24mm is better then 40mm, you don't even know where he wants to use it for

G

I can think of three. Namely: Canon, Nikon and Leica. All macro's but (except the Canon one) also very versatile as a bit more as standard.
Then there is the Nokton 1.4/58 MM which comes very close (and in PKA fit), and still in production.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Last Edited by Malo1961 on 08/07/2009 - 20:12

George Lazarette

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 20:21
Malo1961 wrote:
G wrote:

G

I can think of three. Namely: Canon, Nikon and Leica. All macro's but (except the Canon one) also very versatile as a bit more as standard.
Then there is the Nokton 1.4/58 MM which comes very close (and in PKA fit), and still in production.

Martin.

Virtually none, in other words.

The fact is that it's not a popular focal length. I have a 43mm as well as the M 40mm. Neither gets used. Of course, you CAN think of uses for them - sombody mentioned small groups - but in practice 40mm lenses on digital are no more popular than 60mm lenses on film.

G
Last Edited by George Lazarette on 08/07/2009 - 20:21

bretbysteve

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 20:21
G:

60mm's....Canon 60mm EF-S macro, Nikkor 60mm macro (two types), Leica R 60mm macro, Contax 60mm S macro & Contax 60mm C macro, there were also at least one or two 3rd party lenses in 60mm...I think Panagor was one.

There are also several 58mm lenses, which is very close to 60mm.

The 60mm macro's are utterly fantastic slightly long 'standard' lenses. Some of the above are better than the same brands 50mm lenses.

I use a Contax 60mm all the time with film and so the Pentax 40mm is fine for me....

cheers 'S'
Last Edited by bretbysteve on 08/07/2009 - 20:22

George Lazarette

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 20:22
I am sure some people will use them and love them, and that's fine.

But most people don't. That's all I am saying.

G

Malo1961

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 20:36
George Lazarette wrote:
I am sure some people will use them and love them, and that's fine.

But most people don't. That's all I am saying.

G

I think there are more around than you think,George
There is a difference between useless and special purpose, you know...
But I give you this. It's a focal length you must grow to. But after that you won't let go for a long time....

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

NorrisTudor

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 20:46
DA40: Small and compact, very fast focus, very sharp right across (being a pancake).
- no close focusing,

DA35: + Great macro facility, wider FOV, better lens cap etc.,
- not as sharp in the corners as the DA40, much slower focus (due to macro, has more length to travel)

For me I wanted something v.fast and compact, so it was easy for to take the camera out daily. With this lens (DA40), I can slip the whole camera into my laptop bag.
Last Edited by NorrisTudor on 08/07/2009 - 20:47

jon.dc

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 22:13
wish I had never asked now

Malo1961

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 22:16
jon.dc wrote:
wish I had never asked now

Why is that....... Because there is some disagreement between members?? Happens everywhere, even in the best marriages.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Anvh

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 22:48
George it seems that other members have helped me, thank you Martin & Steve

Jon asked only how the DA40 is and you're suggesting a focal length almost half of that, that was the whole point I was making.
I don't care how many people like the focal length or not, Jon has the 17-70 and a 50mm macro so I think we can assume he has a fair idea how the focal length is.

If you explained your comment more I wouldn't have a problem with it but you only said this
"40mm is a useless focal length on digital. A 24mm pancake would make much more sense."
That just is very blunt and your only argument backing this up is because there aren't many 60mm lenses on 35mm camera... yeah so what is the point?
With that way of thinking I would have bought a Canon or Nikon right, there are more poeple using and buying them so they must be great.

Malo1961 wrote:
Why is that....... Because there is some disagreement between members?? Happens everywhere, even in the best marriages.

Won't call it a disagreement, just an argument and that's very healthy.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 08/07/2009 - 22:49

rparmar

Link Posted 08/07/2009 - 23:27
George Lazarette wrote:
The fact is that it's not a popular focal length. I have a 43mm as well as the M 40mm. Neither gets used.

You don't use the FA43? That's maybe the best portrait lens ever made. Even if you dislike the focal length, no one can argue with the rendering.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.