Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax prices at Focus NEC show & the Pentax stand...

Pentaxophile
Posted 08/03/2011 - 15:25 Link
Other than the shot of the handsome fellow with the massive zoom, did anyone take any pictures of the stand?
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
hefty1
Posted 08/03/2011 - 15:30 Link
You're right, I'm not a marketing guy. If I was I would doubtless have been more impressed by the juggler on the Sony stand, the giant yellow feathers seeking to poke my eyes out on the JVC stand, the three Nikon staff who between them didn't know if a D3X could meter with a pre-AI lens, the girl who just stared blamkly on the Fuji stand when I asked if they had any film samples (I think she thought I meant of the Hollywood variety) or any of the other numerous distractions on display.

All Pentax had to offer were multiple working examples of all their current range of cameras, most of their current range of lenses and knowledgeable, friendly staff. To make matters worse they had enough space around each to make fondling the goods a pleasant experience rather than a bunfight.

Perhaps they should hire a marketing guy for next year so we too can scrap over a single camera while highly trained kittens knife fight each other to the death for our amusement - that'll show the other manufacturers! Alternatively, they could have a no-gimmick stand comprised of quality goods and staff with a sound knowledge of photography, something that stands as a metaphor for the brand itself? Oh hang on...
Joining the Q
bretbysteve
Posted 08/03/2011 - 16:23 Link
"Alternatively, they could have a no-gimmick stand comprised of quality goods and staff with a sound knowledge of photography, something that stands as a metaphor for the brand itself?"

Agreed, however, properly applied marketing is not a gimmick....and I did not once suggest Pentax have a 'gimmicky' stand full of jugglers or feathers! It's not gimmicky to properly and effectively promote your products.

When applied like Sony did, then yes, that was gimmicky..but you know what? There was a queue of punters all round the stand USING the Sony cameras supplied by Sony taking shots of that juggler you took offence to and whilst you think this is gimmicky, it got potential buyers using Sony cameras, which is half way to selling them one.

...For any business, successful marketing is ESSENTIAL and like it or not, Pentax is a business. The digital market is far more competitive than the film world. Leica almost went out of business because they failed to appreciate this and I would hate Pentax to make the same kind of mistake.

If all Pentax do, is to try to sell to those already 'converted' then they risk losing market share and I would not want a choice of only two major brands of SLR.

cheers Steve.
Edited by bretbysteve: 08/03/2011 - 16:25
fatspider
Posted 08/03/2011 - 17:37 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Other than the shot of the handsome fellow with the massive zoom, did anyone take any pictures of the stand?

I wonder if that was taken with MY 16-50? which must have become the worlds most expensive body cap for a while.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Pentaxophile
Posted 08/03/2011 - 18:05 Link
Well, looking for images I have just googled 'Pentax stand at Focus 2011' - and unfortunately this thread is the first thing google brings up. So anyone casually googling this subject will be greeted with the phrase 'The Awful Pentax Stand'. For all our moaning about other people slagging off the brand, we do a pretty good job of it ourselves.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Unlocker
Posted 08/03/2011 - 18:16 Link
fatspider wrote:
Pentaxophile wrote:

I wonder if that was taken with MY 16-50? which must have become the worlds most expensive body cap for a while.

Yarp!
gtis
Posted 08/03/2011 - 18:51 Link
Unlocker wrote:
Pwynnej wrote:
Hope somebody mentioned the Super Telephoto to them

Not just mentioned, we showed 'em too! Still none the wiser though.

Comment Image

alan
no you cant have one
neil
cheers Neil
pentax k3
DA* 300 f4 DA* 50-135 f 2.8 smc DA* 16-50 f2.8 50mm f1.7 pentax1.4xhd converter

Panasonic Dmc Fz200
giofi
Posted 08/03/2011 - 20:24 Link
womble wrote:

It looked very pretty indeed!

Best wishes, Kris.

Thanks Kris, it would be nice to have ....

Giorgio
fatspider
Posted 08/03/2011 - 21:35 Link
Quote:
alan
no you cant have one
neil

My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
womble
Posted 08/03/2011 - 21:39 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:

Yes, I did but you'll have to wait until I have finished the roll of film and had it developed...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Edited by womble: 08/03/2011 - 21:39
johnriley
Posted 08/03/2011 - 22:18 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
Well, looking for images I have just googled 'Pentax stand at Focus 2011' - and unfortunately this thread is the first thing google brings up. So anyone casually googling this subject will be greeted with the phrase 'The Awful Pentax Stand'. For all our moaning about other people slagging off the brand, we do a pretty good job of it ourselves.

I agree and I've modified the title. Let's present the thrust of the thread more accurately.
Best regards, John
Anvh
Posted 08/03/2011 - 22:27 Link
Gwyn wrote:
It sounds to have been a better stand the they had at Photokina in any case - there they had just two K-5s and one (or maybe two) 645Ds to play with. They had more K-rs than K-5s. And no freebies whatsoever .

Played with the 645D and got a pentax shirt at zoom
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Anvh
Posted 08/03/2011 - 22:32 Link
womble wrote:
giofi wrote:
Quote:
and they did have the K5 limited in silver in a display cabinet with the 43mm Ltd.

Does the k-5 limited look as good as in the picture published on the web?

It looked very pretty indeed!

Well it's on my list now.
Asked the local shop here for the price and it was very good so i'm going to try to get one.

Just found out they are limited though so hopefully i can get one.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Dangermouse
Posted 08/03/2011 - 22:33 Link
Pentaxophile wrote:

I think it comes down to this:

We all like Pentax and want them to succeed, but we get annoyed when they do silly things in marketing or release products that could be so much better.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
grahamwalton
Posted 08/03/2011 - 22:55 Link
I was impressed with the Pentax stand at Focus. I examined the K5 and chatted at length with a lady who really knew the product.
On the stand were a display of cameras all with different lenses for the visitors to try.
I made the point about lack of long lenses, teleconverters and a future requirement for a tilting lcd screen. I was told that this feedback would be passed on.

I was given a gift of a Pentax Foldable Light Reflector.

I was given a Pentax 645D to play with and told to take as much time as I wished. A group of pros were examining another 645D.

The Pentax stand is right next to the Jacobs stand that is selling Pentax products.
Friendly Regards
Graham

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.