PENTAX PK SMCM 135MM F3.5

philstaff

Link Posted 03/10/2010 - 17:10
Will this lens work with the K100D and K10D and is it any good there is one for sale in my local camera store and if I can do a trade off with a lens I have for sale I wouldnt mind doing a deal. I have read the Pentax 135/3.5 SMCM has a very good reputation but not sure of the PK smc 135 3.5.

Ian

womble

Link Posted 03/10/2010 - 17:50
Yes, it'll work with stop down metering (which is a bit dodgy I'll admit). Pretty nice lens, quite small, but not a nice as the much bigger and heavier K series 135mm f/2.5.

They are pretty common as they date from the time when 28/50/135 was a common trio of lenses so don't pay over the odds for it.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Hardgravity

Link Posted 03/10/2010 - 18:52
Cracking lens on a ME or MESuper, if you can live with stop down metering then it's well worth a play.

I got mine for £20 and have used it on both my DSLRs.

Can't confirm what Kris says about the 2.5 version though, they seem pretty scarce.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

pschlute

Link Posted 03/10/2010 - 18:55
I can only speak for the M version and as Kris says they are plentiful, so do't pay too much. The M has a built in hood and is superd on digital.

Here is one taken with mine

Peter

My Flickr page

womble

Link Posted 03/10/2010 - 18:57
Lovely image Peter. K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Dangermouse

Link Posted 03/10/2010 - 20:30
I don't think there's such a thing as a bad K series lens (the original SMC Pentax range from 1975-77 are often known as the K series). If it's in good condition and the price is fair then go for it. Don't pay more than £50 and for that I'd expect mint or nearly so.

I find stop down metering is accurate down to about f11, go below that and it starts underexposing badly although you can easily meter at f8 then use a bit of simple calculation to set the shutter speed for smaller apertures.

I don't have the 135mm from the K series but I do have the 120mm f2.8, which is a very nice lens indeed. Smooth and solid as all K series and with a nicely unusual focal length.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

philstaff

Link Posted 11/10/2010 - 14:46

Got it this morning and I think this will make a nice lens to take my dog portraits thanks for the feed back guys the photo is straight from the k100 D untouched.
Ian

pschlute

Link Posted 11/10/2010 - 15:04
I knew you wouldn't regret it.
Peter

My Flickr page

philstaff

Link Posted 11/10/2010 - 15:15
Payed £30 for it and at that price Im more than happy, to be honest Peter the photo looks 10 times better than from the P Bucket upload.
Ian

asview

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 13:59
excellent lens got mine for £20 pin sharp and lovely contrast,
on my K7 it meters well without much intervention, its certainly sharper than my 50-150 2.8 Sigma

all the best.
albert

Dangermouse

Link Posted 15/10/2010 - 15:05
Paid £50 for mine, it is pretty much mint though. Very handy if you want to do some discreet architectural studies, fit it to a black ME S equipped with a wrist strap and you can cradle it in a hand against your hip while walking about. The length and speed enable you to fill the frame with interesting details without any blur problems from shooting handheld.

I didn't originally realise that we were talking about the M version as opposed to the K, which is a much larger lens.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.