Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax MZ-7 mirror motor gear repairer?

JohnX
Posted 06/02/2024 - 18:32 Link
I have a virtually unused, absolutely immaculate, MZ-7, that seems to have the broken mirror motor gear issue.

The mirror stays up all the time.

Anyone suggest where I can get a quote for it's repair, please? Seems such a shame to just throw it away.
Benz3ne
Posted 06/02/2024 - 20:57 Link
I had a look at a tear down for a similar camera that exhibits a similar issue (also with the mirror motor gear) and it looks like an exceptionally involved repair.

I’ll suggest Asahi Photo but I have a feeling that the cost of repair would be fairly large.
https://www.asahiphoto.co.uk/
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 07/02/2024 - 12:02 Link
The repair is very difficult as you need to take the camera apart completely. The gear is right at the centre. I took an MZ-5 apart a few years ago, having ordered replacement brass cogs from a company in Poland, but I wasn't able to do the repair or put the camera back together again. It's just not worth it.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
JohnX
Posted 07/02/2024 - 19:00 Link
Thanks guys. The camera is truly mint, but I suspect it'll be uneconomic to repair, if indeed it's actually repairable.
JohnX
Posted 09/02/2024 - 12:29 Link
Well, Asahi Photo think they can repair it, and have given me a ball park quote of just under £100+vat.

Head says don't do it, heart says ignore the head.

Heart is winning ATM.
LennyBloke
Posted 09/02/2024 - 13:15 Link
JohnX wrote:

When your heart makes the decision for you don't forget to check whether the replacement cogs are Brass or Plastic
LennyBloke
JohnX
Posted 09/02/2024 - 18:32 Link
LennyBloke wrote:
JohnX wrote:

When your heart makes the decision for you don't forget to check whether the replacement cogs are Brass or Plastic

They're not brass apparently, but they've never had a return or complaint in the 7 or 8 years they've been repairing MZ cameras. But, I am aware of the risk.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.