Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax M 100mm f/4 macro PK-M

trixie
Posted 12/01/2012 - 20:37 Link
I would like a macro lens for my K-x DSLR and I don't want to buy this if it dosen't fit as its quite expensive and will be the most I have paid for a lens, any advice will be appreciated thanks in advance.
Best wishes Trixie :
[[quote]Trixie xx If at first you don't succeed, try, try again,then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. W. C Fields.
womble
Posted 12/01/2012 - 20:43 - Helpful Comment Link
It will fit but you'll have to use stop-down metering which is, to be frank, not very accurate. OK for flowers as you can shoot, look at the histogram, adjust, and shoot again but probably less helpful for bugs that don't tend to hang around while you adjust the exposure. An 'A' series lens would still be manual focus but easier on the exposure.

HTH. K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
trixie
Posted 12/01/2012 - 20:49 Link
womble wrote:
It will fit but you'll have to use stop-down metering which is, to be frank, not very accurate. OK for flowers as you can shoot, look at the histogram, adjust, and shoot again but probably less helpful for bugs that don't tend to hang around while you adjust the exposure. An 'A' series lens would still be manual focus but easier on the exposure.

HTH. K.

Thank you Kris I did wonder if I would have to do this, I don't want to spend ages with it and loose the moment while busy adjusting the exposure, Will have a look for an A series one instead of this one this is £139.00 do you think that its expensive as I really haven't an idea of whats a good price for a macro lens.

Best wishes Trixie
prsjnb
Posted 12/01/2012 - 20:52 - Helpful Comment Link
It will fit and you can read what others think about it here: link

It is an oldie but 'goodie' subject to the following:

Heavy

Manual only (exposure and focus)

Not a true macro (maximum reproduction ratio is 1:2; 1:1 or life size requires the use of an extension tube)

Not, IMHO, the best lens to begin with unless you are mostly interested in photographing static subjects or intend to use it mainly for work under controlled conditions indoors.

Having said that, if you are being offered a 'mint' copy at a bargain price (£75.00 or less) it might be worth buying.

Jon
trixie
Posted 12/01/2012 - 20:58 Link
Thanks Jon, I followed the link too and had a look at what others think, I hope that it hasn't got a bayonet fitting though I must chck it out properly, Best wishes Trixie
[[quote]Trixie xx If at first you don't succeed, try, try again,then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. W. C Fields.
davidstorm
Posted 12/01/2012 - 22:59 - Helpful Comment Link
Hi Trixie, you would be better off if the lens you are interested in has a bayonet fitting as this will fit your K-x without the need for any adaptors. If it doesn't have a bayonet, you would need an adaptor. If you go for the Pentax-M (excellent lenses but as mentioned they require manual exposure) it will definitely be a bayonet fitting.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
fatspider
Posted 12/01/2012 - 23:08 - Helpful Comment Link
Quote:
you would be better off if the lens you are interested in has a bayonet fitting

Trixie did say it was a PK lens David, in the topic title

As for Macro lenses Trixie you could also consider the Tamron Macros, they can be every bit as good as Pentax and can be picked up for quite a reasonable price in KA mount too.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
geordie01
Posted 12/01/2012 - 23:17 - Helpful Comment Link
I have the M100mm f4 and i love it, ok it is manual focus but most macro is manual focus and it is manual mode but it is not 400 quid and to be honest once you get used to stop down metering it is fairly quick and not that far out on the k-r and is still ok on a 110d.All lenses used to be this way and i think it is fun. But £140 seems a bit steep.
davidstorm
Posted 12/01/2012 - 23:20 - Helpful Comment Link
fatspider wrote:
Quote:

As for Macro lenses Trixie you could also consider the Tamron Macros, they can be every bit as good as Pentax and can be picked up for quite a reasonable price in KA mount too.

Hi Alan, have a look at Trixie's reply in the post above mine. You'll see that she makes reference to 'hoping it hasn't got a bayonet fitting'. This is why I posted the comment.

Regards
David
Flickr

Edited by davidstorm: 12/01/2012 - 23:20
fatspider
Posted 12/01/2012 - 23:44 - Helpful Comment Link
Y'know I noticed that just after my post, I was rather hoping you wouldn't notice seems like it was me half asleep after all
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
davidstorm
Posted 13/01/2012 - 00:03 - Helpful Comment Link
fatspider wrote:
Y'know I noticed that just after my post, I was rather hoping you wouldn't notice seems like it was me half asleep after all

No worries, hope you sleep well!

Regards
David
Flickr

trixie
Posted 13/01/2012 - 08:52 Link
fatspider wrote:
Quote:

Hi Alan, I have a sigma lens with a bayonet fitting and it wont fit my K-x I'm going to have to re think this one,, might have a look at a tamron as I have a Tamron wide angle lens that I really like,

Thanks to everyone Cheers Trixie
johnriley
Posted 13/01/2012 - 09:06 - Helpful Comment Link
Are you sure your Sigma lens is a Pentax bayonet Trixie? There are many other types of bayonet fitting for different makes of camera.

All the Pentax branded bayonet lenses will fit your K-x so these will not be a problem. It's best of you choose one with a Ka bayonet though, so that all the electronics couple with your camera and you don't have to mess about with manual settings.

You can tell suitable lenses as they will have electronic contacts on the mount and an "A" setting on the aperture ring. This includes all manual focus SMC Pentax-A lenses and all autofocus ones.
Best regards, John
DaveHolmes
Posted 13/01/2012 - 10:40 - Helpful Comment Link
Just to be clear... When Pentax users say 'bayonet' they are referring to the K-mount as opposed to m42 fitting, which is screw mount and requires an adapter...

If your sigma lens does not fit K-x it is either:
1)Faulty (or damaged)- possible the mount is bent slightly...
2)bayonet fitting (but not K-mount - perhaps nikon-F or olympus...)
3)M42 (screw thread (this will work on K-x but will require an adaptor..)

With regard to your search for a macro lens...

I too would really love a decent macro and intend to save for either a Tamron 90mm macro or a Pentax-FA 100mm f2.8 macro lens... But looking at around £300+
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
trixie
Posted 13/01/2012 - 22:18 Link
johnriley wrote:
Are you sure your Sigma lens is a Pentax bayonet Trixie? There are many other types of bayonet fitting for different makes of camera.

All the Pentax branded bayonet lenses will fit your K-x so these will not be a problem. It's best of you choose one with a Ka bayonet though, so that all the electronics couple with your camera and you don't have to mess about with manual settings.

You can tell suitable lenses as they will have electronic contacts on the mount and an "A" setting on the aperture ring. This includes all manual focus SMC Pentax-A lenses and all autofocus ones.

Thank you John for the information I have looked at my old sigma lens and it does fit i had to go to the settings and adjust the settings in the menu to enable, so this fits now. I have had it for a while and never used it ! but I will now. thanks again for the help. Cheers Trixie

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.