Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax LX mirror foam

co049
Posted 16/01/2021 - 10:43 Link
I had my Pentax LX serviced in November 2011, which included replacing the mirror foam damper. I have now noticed the foam is deteriorating again and needs to be replaced.

I would have expected it last longer than this, the original foam lasted 28 years, has anyone else had a similar experience?
Chris,

Pentax K1ii, K3, K-m & MX-1.
Pentax LX, MX, ME Super & MV.
"Old Skool" with the new!
LennyBloke
Posted 16/01/2021 - 10:59 - Helpful Comment Link
co049 wrote:
I had my Pentax LX serviced in November 2011, which included replacing the mirror foam damper. I have now noticed the foam is deteriorating again and needs to be replaced.

I would have expected it last longer than this, the original foam lasted 28 years, has anyone else had a similar experience?

Hi Chris - I've not had this experience but it doesn't surprise me. I'm not sure that the materials used for the foam replacements is tested for longevity (with the possible exception of some of the "pro" service centres maybe?). It can be an expensive business getting them replaced competently but if it prolongs your use of such a beautiful camera then it's probably worthwhile. You could think of it like a car - every few years there's a need for a major (expensive) service
LennyBloke
womble
Posted 16/01/2021 - 11:50 - Helpful Comment Link
Mine was done longer ago than that (maybe 2005?) and is fine. How are the light seals around the door?
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
co049
Posted 16/01/2021 - 12:40 Link
womble wrote:
Mine was done longer ago than that (maybe 2005?) and is fine. How are the light seals around the door?

The rest of the seals are fine, the strange thing is my MX had its Mirror Foam replaced at the same time and its still ok, the work was carried out by a professional service centre. It must be a batch issue or something then?
Chris,

danofmk
Posted 17/01/2021 - 09:14 Link
It's not a big job to replace it yourself really.

Have a look on ebay for some foam of the right looking thickness and you can cut it yourself and have some spare for next time.

Appreciate that wasn't the point of the post....
co049
Posted 17/01/2021 - 12:22 Link
Comment Image
danofmk wrote:
It's not a big job to replace it yourself really.

Have a look on ebay for some foam of the right looking thickness and you can cut it yourself and have some spare for next time.

Appreciate that wasn't the point of the post....

Thanks I have been looking on line, the only kits are in the USA at present. I could cut some foam down the make new dampers.

To replace them you need to remove the lens mount and the 4 screws to the shroud behind it. You then need to rotate the shroud 90degs to gain access to the remains of the old foam to clean and remove it.
Chris,

Edited by co049: 17/01/2021 - 12:22
danofmk
Posted 17/01/2021 - 13:42 Link
Mmmm, anybody with an LX care to comment on that?

Seems like over complicating the job to me, but I don't have an LX to check. Certainly EVERY other pentax slr I've done it on does not require removing the lens mount, or any other part for that matter
co049
Posted 17/01/2021 - 14:15 Link
danofmk wrote:
Mmmm, anybody with an LX care to comment on that?

Seems like over complicating the job to me, but I don't have an LX to check. Certainly EVERY other pentax slr I've done it on does not require removing the lens mount, or any other part for that matter

I've done foam on the MV & ME which was straight forward and easy to get to without any disassembly, but the foam on the LX sits behind the shroud.
Chris,

barkin
Posted 17/01/2021 - 14:23 - Helpful Comment Link
I don't have an LX either, but I've a K1000 that's going to need doing before too long.
In my recent Googling and reading up on the subject, I recall reading that the LX isn't as straightforward as some.
LennyBloke
Posted 17/01/2021 - 16:16 - Helpful Comment Link
I do have an LX but I don't consider myself competent enough to replace the foam on it - it isn't as straightforward as on some other models (as per the instructions in co049's post).

But just as important is the question of what type/grade of foam should be used - I would imagine there are many different types and qualities, some presumably better suited and longer lasting than others? If you are going to do it yourself (and I'm sure many of us are very capable) I'd do your research on the foam properly
LennyBloke
co049
Posted 17/01/2021 - 16:40 Link
It is a bit of a strange one, as I said both my LX & MX were serviced together and had their foam dampers replaced. The MX is still fine and the foam is in very good condition but on the LX it's just falling apart.

I think it will be best to give Robin a call Harrow Technical and see what his waiting time is since he is only part time since retirement.
Chris,

Jonathan-Mac
Posted 17/01/2021 - 18:03 Link
I have never had an LX either but I'd be amazed if it needs to have anything removed to replace the mirror bumper. Replacing this foam is the easiest camera upkeep job there is - just remove the old one and stick a new one in. Buy a larger sheet of foam from ebay and cut to size, it'll cost less than any special "kit" and you'll have enough material for many other cameras too.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
co049
Posted 17/01/2021 - 22:07 Link
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
I have never had an LX either but I'd be amazed if it needs to have anything removed to replace the mirror bumper. Replacing this foam is the easiest camera upkeep job there is - just remove the old one and stick a new one in. Buy a larger sheet of foam from ebay and cut to size, it'll cost less than any special "kit" and you'll have enough material for many other cameras too.

Comment Image

Jonathan it's not a simple task, I have done MV, ME & MX dampers but on the LX its hidden behind a shroud that needs to be removed first.
Chris,

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.