Pentax lose another top lens designer!

Algernon

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 08:51
Saw this first on Ricehigh's site after losing a top designer to Nikon nine years ago Pentax have now retired (fired) another top designer, Mr. Hirakawa, which makes you wonder who is left? link

Some of the lenses Mr. Hirakawa designed.

FA 80-200 F2.8
FA 85mm F1.4(IF) FA ★ 85mm F1.4 (IF)
FA 24mm F2.0AL FA ☆ 24mm F2.0AL
FA 28mm F2.8AL FA28mm F2.8AL
FA 77mm F1.8 Limited FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
FA 43mm F1.9 Limited FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
DA 40mm F2.8 Limited DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
DA 55mm F1.4 SDM DA ☆ 55mm F1.4 SDM
DA 10-17mm FISH-EYE DA 10-17mm FISH-EYE
DA 14mm f2.8 DA 14mm f2.8

I don't think he will struggle finding another job?
Canon perhaps?
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Algernon

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 08:57
=================================================
MY CV

Dear Sir,
Can I have a Job?

Some of the Lenses I Designed for Pentax:

FA 80-200 F2.8
FA 85mm F1.4(IF) FA ★ 85mm F1.4 (IF)
FA 24mm F2.0AL FA ☆ 24mm F2.0AL
FA 28mm F2.8AL FA28mm F2.8AL
FA 77mm F1.8 Limited FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
FA 43mm F1.9 Limited FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
DA 40mm F2.8 Limited DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
DA 55mm F1.4 SDM DA ☆ 55mm F1.4 SDM
DA 10-17mm FISH-EYE DA 10-17mm FISH-EYE
DA 14mm f2.8 DA 14mm f2.8

Yours Sincerely,
Mr. Hirakawa - Lens Designer

=============================================

Letter from Big Camera Company (BIGCAMCO)

Dear Mr. Hirakawa,

You've got the JOB. When can you start?

Yours Sincerely,
BIGCAMCO

Algi

fatspider

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 09:03
Thats briliant news, Nikon lenses will soon be available in K mount
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

johnriley

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 09:21
That translation is just dreadful...virtually unreadable. I wonder what it really says?
Best regards, John

Algernon

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 09:38
fatspider wrote:
Thats briliant news, Nikon lenses will soon be available in K mount

How about some Limited's in Nikon or Canon mount?........
No Thanks!!!

Algi

flossie

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 09:43
johnriley wrote:
That translation is just dreadful...virtually unreadable. I wonder what it really says?

Reads like an attack on Hoya by someone who hates Hoya because they rationalised and re-focused Pentax.

Anyway, I think this comment is most telling where any redundant lens designer would be heading... :

Quote:

Welcome to come to China to continue his camera design and development work, can then be developed on the PK mount it better.
Tokyo does not welcome you, and Beijing welcomes you!

Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

pentaxian450

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 09:57
Ricehigh has had a grudge against Pentax for years. Whenever he gets a chance to discredit Pentax, he does. He doesn't care if his comments are true or not. He just hates Pentax.

When Ricehigh is the source of a comment, I ignore it.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)

Algernon

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 10:35
pentaxian450 wrote:
Ricehigh has had a grudge against Pentax for years. Whenever he gets a chance to discredit Pentax, he does. He doesn't care if his comments are true or not. He just hates Pentax.

When Ricehigh is the source of a comment, I ignore it.

Some good stuff on Ricehigh's site. It's easy enough to sort out which is which. I've just noticed a German program on there that assigns USB Drive letters from an INI file and a File Manager that I never even knew existed. Also a free HDD Disk to Disk copier that I'd never heard of that looks good.

If it wasn't for Ricehigh I doubt if they would have offered alternative batteries on the K-r

The website above isn't Ricehighs site. It's forum.xitek.com

Some nice Pentax Bird photos on there link I wonder what lens that 400mm f/5.6 is?
That K-x is superb even at 1000ISO

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 07/10/2010 - 10:49

mecrox

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 11:12
We don't know why Mr Hirakawa left Pentax. No idea. The suggestion that he was fired is defamatory without the facts. He's aged 48, I believe, so with many years of top-flight engineering still to come, if that's what he wants. He's certainly given more pleasure to more people than a battalion of Ricehighs are ever likely to.

Algernon

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 11:21
mecrox wrote:
We don't know why Mr Hirakawa left Pentax. No idea. The suggestion that he was fired is defamatory without the facts. He's aged 48, I believe, so with many years of top-flight engineering still to come, if that's what he wants. He's certainly given more pleasure to more people than a battalion of Ricehighs are ever likely to.

Whatever the reason... Two top lens designers no longer work for Hoya Pentax. A lot of knowledge has already gone to a main competitor.

Ricehigh isn't a lens designer

Algi

dougf8

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 12:11
Just because you used to be the top doesn't mean you are the top today.

New technologies, new materials and new design methods all mean times change and so do personnel.
Lurking is shirking.!

Don

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 16:29
mecrox wrote:

he may have retired due to intellectual property rights, non compete clauses etc.. one guy defected to Nikon..

but try to put this into perspective...

It is the equivalent of firing a lab tech or printer after everything switched to computers, his skills are obsolete.

nowadays you need a kid that can work with the best computer design software, using science to design..
why pay an old school designer senior engineering wages to work on electronics and cad programs?
When you get a kid straight out of university with more directly applicable skills at a fraction of the cost?
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

viewfinder

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 17:37
Well if you really do care about what you make and about the customers who buy it you get the "old school designer" to formulate the software criteria for the kid to use.......

....Also listening to users and making what they want DOES help.

Algernon

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 19:01
dougf8 wrote:
Just because you used to be the top doesn't mean you are the top today.

New technologies, new materials and new design methods all mean times change and so do personnel.

Well I suppose for the new materials, plastic mounts and all that, they still have the lower grade technicians who designed the FAJ series. Maybe the future lies in cutting down old designs to f/2.4 and putting in all plastic bodies. We heard Ned B say that Pentax were no longer an Engineering Driven Company and were now driven by Marketing which will mean a big movement in salaries from engineering to marketing. It's been done before by CZ in East Germany and the Russians when all the CZ designers moved to Germany they just kept on making the same old designs for 50+ years.

Good lens design isn't an exact science. It needs a lot of practical knowledge of how best to tweak the design. It called a "fingerprint" in this thread on the SMC Pentax-FA* 80-200mm F2.8 ED [IF] (Lens Scored 28/30 for optical quality in AP's test).

Algi

mecrox

Link Posted 07/10/2010 - 19:42
Don wrote:
... [snip]

but try to put this into perspective...

It is the equivalent of firing a lab tech or printer after everything switched to computers, his skills are obsolete.

nowadays you need a kid that can work with the best computer design software, using science to design..
why pay an old school designer senior engineering wages to work on electronics and cad programs?
When you get a kid straight out of university with more directly applicable skills at a fraction of the cost?

Because the kid probably won't go out and take lots of photographs, analayse the results with the eye of experience, and refine and refine the design until he gets it just so. In fact, I believe that is what Mr Hirakawa used to do. The notion that you can replace everything with a computer is a bit of a fantasy. What you replace is the grunt work, not necessarily the qualitative judgements that go into any design. Each of the limiteds, for example, renders in a subtly different way and I doubt that's the result of a kid knocking them out on a PC. Besides, if Pentax do decide to dispense with their top engineers, even if that's pretty darn unlikely, you can be pretty surely that Canonikon won't and so such a move could prove rather a mistake in the long run. Even so, one can but wish Mr Hirakawa the happiest of futures.
Last Edited by mecrox on 07/10/2010 - 19:54
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.