Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax lenses for our film cameras.

emil
Posted 30/10/2014 - 11:06 Link
I have dabbled with digital for the last year after some advice from this forum, but have given the outfit to my son and am returning to film! However I only have a Sigma 28-135 macro lens and will be looking to buy some Pentax film camera lens.

I have been away from photography for over two decades now and would like some advice on the designations of the film lenses.

Thanks in advance and if Peter Elgar reads this, Hi Peter best wishes from Ross, remember me from the old club?

emil
johnriley
Posted 30/10/2014 - 13:31 - Helpful Comment Link
Just avoid DA lenses, which may well vignette, and any without aperture rings, such as the FA-J.

Any Pentax K bayonet lens, M, A, F, FA, will be fine. M and A series are manual focus. F and FA are autofocus. There a two D-FA macro lenses with aperture rings that can be used as well.

Screw thread lenses can be used with Adapter K.

Hope that helps!
Best regards, John
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 30/10/2014 - 15:52 Link
The vast majority of Pentax lenses available new now are only suitable for digital. There are a few for film still available.

On the second-hand market there are a huge number of Pentax lenses available.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
emil
Posted 30/10/2014 - 16:13 Link
Thanks both. John it,s all coming back to now.
hoopsontoast
Posted 30/10/2014 - 20:39 Link
If you have something like the MZ-7, it can be used with newer DA lenses that lack an aperture ring, although as mentioned, most will vignette.
Lenses like the DA40, DA*55 and DA70 work well on 35mm sized cameras aparently. Of course you have the current FA Limited (31mm, 43mm and 77mm) that are designed for 35mm cameras.
D-FA28-105 | FA43 | K55 | DA100 Macro | DA*300
Pentax K1 | Pentax K-01 | Pentax MZ-S | Pentax MZ-5n
Flickr Photostream
emil
Posted 30/10/2014 - 20:58 Link
hoops on toast, I have a MZ 5n and a SFX, with a sigma 28/135 macro and a Pentax 35/70.

I am hoping to find some ForFA lenses. The limited series are out of reach as most of my spare cash goes on cycling gear, see the name, emil ( elderly man in lycra).

Thanks,

Emil
emil
Posted 30/10/2014 - 21:02 Link
I will add that I intend to get some film and do some shooting before I get in too deep!

Emil.
Edited by emil: 30/10/2014 - 21:03
hoopsontoast
Posted 30/10/2014 - 21:17 - Helpful Comment Link
Excellent, I have had good results with the K55 and K85 lenses, as well as my favourite, the FA20-35 which is a super wide angle lens, pick one up while its still reasonably priced!
I have just commited to a FA50 f1.7 as an autofocus alternative to the K55, as well as an old M* 300mm f4 from Lennybloke a few weeks back!
D-FA28-105 | FA43 | K55 | DA100 Macro | DA*300
Pentax K1 | Pentax K-01 | Pentax MZ-S | Pentax MZ-5n
Flickr Photostream
emil
Posted 30/10/2014 - 21:28 Link
Hoops, when I think back to all the Pentax lenses and indeed cameras that I have owned since theS1a in 1962' I could weep, but never mind.

At one stage I lectured for Pentax on cameras and the marketing dept., kept me well supplied! But again never mind,

Good luck with your new lenses.

Emil.
Edited by emil: 30/10/2014 - 21:29
Peter Elgar
Posted 02/11/2014 - 16:22 Link
Ross -- we are waiting to see some of your famous 'Glamour' photos taken with your multipls flash and your Pentax Cameras -- you used to get them in the 'Pentax Magazine' every time -- I remember how you showed the 'Hair Light' from a small rear flash with a black tube over it -- and ones by 'Window Light' all on REAL FILLUM though !! ---
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
emil
Posted 03/11/2014 - 13:05 Link
Sorry Peter, Those shots will never appear ever again. They were all taken in the1980s and the girls are now a little more mature like all of us and I promised them all that the work would remain private.

If I had any work that could be used it have to be copied via my Canon G9 and not be eligible.

Besides all my current work is of flowers and gardens and my great grandson!i
johnriley
Posted 03/11/2014 - 15:00 - Helpful Comment Link
If your image is a print and needs copying, then a scan or a camera copy is fine. It doesn't matter in those circumstances what it was copied by. It's still a Pentax image.
Best regards, John
emil
Posted 03/11/2014 - 15:27 Link
Thanks, John. I will get around to doing something. But my pc will be out of order for some weeks. I took it to pc world this morning for repair and was told the first available date was the 19 November.

Just to be sure, the images were all taken with whatever Pentax I had at the time and copied by my little a G9 will be ok?

At the moment I am using our I pad.

Thanks.
johnriley
Posted 03/11/2014 - 15:56 Link
Sure, what you're saying is "here are my older Pentax pictures" not "look how good my G9 is" so it puts the right emphasis on it.

I'll look forward to seeing the pictures!
Best regards, John
Peter Elgar
Posted 12/11/2014 - 11:45 Link
Yes -- come on Ross -- show us !! I have just been re-reading your article 'Portraits by Flash ' in the January 2001 Pentax Magazine where you show your Hair Light effect etc -- shall I scan a page to show here ? !!
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED? Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.