pentax lens on sony nex 5?

Dav3

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 07:19
Hi all, I have been offered a sony nex 5 at a good price and to my understanding pentax lenses can be used on it with the correct adapter. Is this correct ? If so have any of you done this, what sort of results were you getting? Any help appreciated. Thanks,

johnriley

Link Posted 02/11/2016 - 09:16
With adapters "can be" is the phrase. Although I don't have specific knowledge of this combination it would be a good idea to check how much functionality will remain.

Results in an optical quality sense will be as good as the lens and camera can provide, but in a usability sense there may or may not be compromises. For example, would AF be retained or would it be manual focus only?
Best regards, John

smc

Link Posted 04/11/2016 - 15:28
The lenses will be strictly manual focus/manual aperture only unless one of the special/expensive self AF adaptors is used. In-camera focus-peaking and magnification will help with manual focus. Likewise, any Pentax lens without an aperture ring will require one of the adaptors with built in diaphragm. The camera will probably be aperture priority or manual exposure only. Bear in mind the adaptor plus SLR lens will be quite big on an NEX5 and likely not balance well.

geordie01

Link Posted 05/11/2016 - 10:40
friend of mine uses a takumar 50 f1.4 on his NEX and gets superb results

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 06/11/2016 - 08:27
I have a Fujifilm X-M1, a camera which is very similar to the Nex ones, and I use it only with lenses with other mounts as I have no Fuji lenses. I have various adapters but as most of my lenses are Pentax, that's mostly what I use on it. The combination is always manual focus and for exposure can be either manual or aperture priority.

Adapters are either the cheaper manual ones or have a basic feature to be able to control the aperture on lenses with no aperture ring.

Exposure is more accurate on mirrorless cameras than it is on DSLRs (because the sensor "sees" the full image) so I rarely have to adjust it. Focus-peaking also works much better than it does on my K3,, though I don't know if the same can be said of the Nex, and I have found it quick and easy to focus.

I find the camera provides an excellent small & light combination for times when I don't want to lug a DSLR around and will balance well with lenses up to around 135mm.

Results are generally superb. Here's a link to my Flickr album for the camera - many of the photos were taken using Pentax lenses.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69424694@N06/albums/72157653804833304
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 06/11/2016 - 08:29
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.