Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax Lens deals at Microglobe

Grisha
Posted 01/08/2015 - 10:26 Link
Garybaldbee wrote:
Whether those lenses are actually in stock is another matter. I ordered an FA 31 Ltd from them some months ago at a similarly tempting price only to discover that it didn't exist. They did apologise and arranged a refund reasonably promptly but even then the written communications were in broken English which really didn't inspire much confidence in the professionalism of the company. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I expect a business transaction with a UK company to be conducted in reasonably clear and grammatical English. I wouldn't completely rule out using them again but its worth exercising some caution and perhaps enquiring whether the lens is in stock before ordering.

You are not very far away from them to check their english personally.
wvbarnes
Posted 01/08/2015 - 11:17 Link
A friend went to Warehouse Express in Norwich this week, having moved to Norfolk. Nothing Pentax in sight despite them being listed as a Pro Centre. I emailed them and they said they did stock some items or could get anything in for me when I visited Norfolk! I therefore don't believe much about stock with any dealer. i guess you can email enquire or phone as i tend to do with the excellent Watford SRS for example and I'm sure Microglobe will dot he same. In turn Amazon are famous for cheap prices for stuff not available eh?
JohnX
Posted 01/08/2015 - 16:59 Link
I've bought from Microglobe in the past, both by post and more recently in person from their shop.

I'd rate the shop as tending towards disorganised, and the staff as very helpful (phoned one of their colleagues who was out for lunch, and got her to return because she knew where the item I wanted was! ).

On the day I visited I don't think any of the staff present had English as their first language.
Edited by JohnX: 01/08/2015 - 17:00
RobL
Posted 03/08/2015 - 14:36 Link
Whilst some of the above comments are encouraging, and they do get some good reviews, I was put off Microglobe after reading a number of poor reviews which inferred that 'new' items were in fact repackaged returns as well as difficult and discourteous customer service over returns. On that basis I decided against risking the purchase of a lens in favour of Carmarthen Cameras at the next best available price and which at the time included a 'free' UV filter.
Edited by RobL: 03/08/2015 - 15:12
ilovesaabs
Posted 03/09/2015 - 16:35 Link
Ordered FA43 Limited yesterday. Had requested the lens case for the FA77 which they were advertising but waiting to come into stock. Eventually the email arrives and I am able to place an order, hence the simultaneous order for the 43. Arrived well packaged this morning.

Not a problem
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
tyronet2000
Posted 04/09/2015 - 14:44 Link
Why worry about spoken English, most ppl spk txt ne way LOL

That 16-85 is at a better price than elsewhere.
Regards
Stan

PPG
Edited by tyronet2000: 04/09/2015 - 14:45
Posted 04/09/2015 - 15:17 Link
WARNING......
Microglobe stock is NOT UK sourced at all.
I have spoken to Ricoh UK and they do not supply ANY stock to Microglobe.
They also tell me that non of their UK distributers supply any stock to Microglobe.
I have had issus in the past and will never touch them again!!!!
This is how I know the facts..
Also, they are selling products (Binos) that are US Exclusive.
Any Pentax stock bought has NO support from ricoh UK or Eu.
I found this out the hard way.
Posted 04/09/2015 - 15:18 Link
wvbarnes wrote:
A friend went to Warehouse Express in Norwich this week, having moved to Norfolk. Nothing Pentax in sight despite them being listed as a Pro Centre. I emailed them and they said they did stock some items or could get anything in for me when I visited Norfolk! I therefore don't believe much about stock with any dealer. i guess you can email enquire or phone as i tend to do with the excellent Watford SRS for example and I'm sure Microglobe will dot he same. In turn Amazon are famous for cheap prices for stuff not available eh?

He must not hae looked far....they have a massive play table with all prouct powered up....
Grisha
Posted 21/09/2015 - 11:47 Link
Under the Sale of Goods Act the warranty is not 2 years but we can make a claim up to 6 years
So if I buy from Microglobe, the manufactures warranty is 1 year, fine, the responsibility is up to Pentax , but for the EU law Microglobe is liable up to 2 years and for the UK law Microglobe is liable up to 6 years

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/feb/05/how-long-electrical-goods-guarantee...
Posted 25/09/2015 - 10:33 Link
Grisha wrote:
Under the Sale of Goods Act the warranty is not 2 years but we can make a claim up to 6 years
So if I buy from Microglobe, the manufactures warranty is 1 year, fine, the responsibility is up to Pentax , but for the EU law Microglobe is liable up to 2 years and for the UK law Microglobe is liable up to 6 years

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/feb/05/how-long-electrical-goods-guarantee...

Please be aware, as I have said before.....Microglobe have NO relationship with Ricoh UK or ANY of their distributors.....Any Pentax or Ricoh item bought from Microglobe will have NO.....ZERO back up from the UK or EU network....
They might give you a warranty, but repairs are NOT carried out at an authorised service centre..
Many Pentax items they list are US spec. (& exclusive to US market).....this should give a good idea where the stock comes from.........obviously brought into the UK without taxes etc being paid......
Grisha
Posted 25/09/2015 - 10:53 Link
I'm absolutely aware of what you said before and I'm also aware that the respect of the Sale of Goods Act is not optional but mandatory regardless the product place of birth once is sold on the British ground.

It's not my problem where the product come from, if duties have been paid (the HMRC should check not me, if something is sold here from a well established company I assume everything is fine, if I buy a new lens at 1 fifth of price from a suspicious chap yes I'm liable) or if I don't have backup from Pentax UK or EU, it might be Microglobe problem, I've the law backup, do I need anything else?

By the way I'm not a Microglobe supporter, from them so far the most expensive item I bought is a lens cap.
Edited by Grisha: 25/09/2015 - 10:54
davidtrout
Posted 26/09/2015 - 11:04 Link
tyronet2000 wrote:
Why worry about spoken English, most ppl spk txt ne way LOL

That 16-85 is at a better price than elsewhere.

We speak perfectly good broken English up here in the North East.
David
BruceStrachan
Posted 06/11/2015 - 12:07 Link
I´m a bit confused at the importance some folk put on UK items...
How many Pentax cameras or lenses are made in UK?
I´d imagine zero...
so what does it matter if a UK shop buys directly from supplier or via a shop in another country.
Is it just the old British snobbery creeping in?
Cheers,

Bruce
johnriley
Posted 06/11/2015 - 12:51 Link
It's probably just down to wanting to be sure the warranty is valid and also wanting to support local business.
Best regards, John
LennyBloke
Posted 06/11/2015 - 13:28 Link
BruceStrachan wrote:
I´m a bit confused at the importance some folk put on UK items...
How many Pentax cameras or lenses are made in UK?
I´d imagine zero...
so what does it matter if a UK shop buys directly from supplier or via a shop in another country.
Is it just the old British snobbery creeping in?

Assuming it is a genuine Pentax item then it will have been manufactured in exactly the same place whether it is bought through a UK Authorised dealer or not. The Ricoh website states "All PENTAX cameras purchased through authorised bona fide photographic distribution channels are guaranteed against defects of material or workmanship for a period of twelve months from date of purchase" - but I am under the impression that if you buy from a UK retailer (regardless of Ricoh's designation of status) you still have at least the 12 month warranty (and possibly longer depending on interpretations of EU consumer law). If you do have a problem within the guarantee period then your normal course of action would be to deal with it through the retailer. How different retailers deal with it is another matter - I've seen reports of very poor service from Microglobe (on this forum) and I've experienced superb service from SRS, so if you don't have a problem then you've done well with a cheapish purchase, but if you do then you might have some difficulty.

There are some significant benefits from buying from authorised retailer (quicker service, two-year warranty, etc), but when the price differential is significant it does beg the me question "why I shouldn't buy from the likes of Microglobe?".

Don't get me wrong - I feel for the likes of SRS when they are undercut significantly. They are, I'm sure, hamstrung by buying at prices that are fixed by Ricoh UK, whereas others have sought alternative buying channels that allow a lower selling price yet still return them a profit. So does part of the problem come down to Ricoh's international strategy of selling into different markets at different prices?
LennyBloke

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.