Pentax K7

Yecora99

Link Posted 28/06/2014 - 23:50
Hello,

Does anyone have a Pentax K7? If so what do you think of it?

Is it a good upgrade from a K10D?

Is there any major issues with the K7?
Quote:
Pentax K5D, Pentax 16-45mm f4 DA ED AL, Pentax 55-300mm ED, Pentax 100mm Macro f2.8 D-FA, Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 170-500mm.

wadna

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 02:23
Yes, I do have a K-7 but I haven't got a K10D so I can't comment on the benefits of upgrading. I upgraded from an *istD & that certainly was beneficial in some respects. More Mpixels, the K-7 wakes up faster, focusing & shooting more quickly. The K-7 is better for Street than the *istD was.
People talk fondly of the quality of K10D images & CCD v CMOS sensors. I can't comment except to say that I found the K-7 sensor disappointingly noisy & felt the K-7 images needed more sharpening than the *istD.
If I were in the upgrade market I would consider a K-5 for it's excellent sensor.

stub

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 03:22
I have the K-7. But have never owned the K10D. I agree with the points above. It has the magnesium chassis. Performs HD video. All accessories are fully compliant with the K5. If you do any low light photography. Forget it. Its useless above 800 ISO. In fact mostly it struggles at that. Though I enjoy mine. I would suggest looking for a cheap K5.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Last Edited by stub on 29/06/2014 - 03:26

johnriley

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 08:53
The K-5 is a better upgrade without a doubt. I still happily use the K-5, which was a sea change in performance.

However, the K20D and K-7, using the same sensor as your K10D, will offer a useful jump in quality in many respects. I didn't upgrade to the K-7 but took the path K10D>K0D>K-5. The K20D is still in use and is still a fine camera.
Best regards, John

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 11:52
K-5 for me too, although if you can stretch to it you might find a K-5II variant at a decent second hand price and that would be even better because the AF was much improved over the original K-5, both for general accuracy and also the ability to focus in very low light, which is something the original K-5 really struggles with.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

aliengrove

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 12:09
Ditto. I found the K5 a huge improvement over the K7, mainly as it is so much more capable in low light. Secong hand K5's are pretty cheap now, so I personally think the choice is a no-brainer; get a K5, or, if you can afford it, a K5ii. If you want to shoot video, I think the K30 would be a better choice than the K5, and worth considering as an alternative anyway, though I've not personally ever used one.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

Darkmunk

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 12:56
I have pictures somewhere proving the K7 was noisier than the K10d and that's saying something.
I was so disapointed with it. The K5 is streets ahead.
I have 3 K5, which is a bit excessive, so if you want one, give me a shout!
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer
Last Edited by Darkmunk on 29/06/2014 - 12:57

jeeess1967

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 13:47
Hi,

I own a K-10D, K-7 and a K-5. K-10 undoubtedly produces great images. K-7 is a good upgrade from K-10D. However, K-7, while better than K-10 in low light, struggles to produce good images above 800. K-7 has a bigger screen when compared to K-10. However, in good light, K-7 is really good. K-5, on the other hand, is a great jump from K-7. Low light capabilities are much improved. K-7 and K-5 are identical in their looks.

As recommended above, if you happen to get a K-5 at a reasonable price, go for it. Its no time now for K-7.

Regards,

Jeeess
K-5, K-7 and K10D, Pentax 18-135 WR,18-55 WR,Pentax 28-105,Sigma 28-300, Sigma 28-80 (Macro) and Pentax 50-200 WR.
Last Edited by jeeess1967 on 29/06/2014 - 13:47

McGregNi

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 13:55
Lets remember the K7 is the same body and with identical control features and processing options, as well as accessories and connections available. The Prime processing engine was a significant advance over the previous flagship model, and the model introduced the LV and video functions as I understand it, along with the WR and the WR kit lens to go with it. It was therefore a significant technical move forwards for Pentax when introduced, a quite formidable package.

Historically its place in the range lifecycle was probably unfortunate, and there were good modern cheaper models also available, and then the K5 arrived fairly soon after with its improved sensor (nothing else changed apart from better AF I believe?). But none of that changes the fact it was and still is a damn good camera with many 'high-end' features. I sing its praises gladly because its been fantastic for me - perhaps more so because I was lucky to find possibly the last brand new one in a Jessops shop at the start of 2012 ... so for me its still my 'brand new' camera.

Of course, the low light high ISO performance is not fantastic, and if thats your need and you have the budget, then I would recommend the K5 as much as anyone else - but if your shooting needs are less demanding in terms of high ISO in low light, then the K7 represents quite extraordinary value now as a 2nd hand option. Someone said earlier that it was hardly usable at ISO 800? Sure you'd get some noise very dark conditions ... but with some light its performance is very handy in fact in you just need to crank up shutter speeds, say for indoor use ... here's a couple of mine at ISO 1600 !!! ...

Perfectly useful I find. If you want to check out plenty more lower ISO examples, then please browse through my own PU gallery ... every shot with the K7! ... link
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 29/06/2014 - 13:57

davidrobinson

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 14:24
aliengrove wrote:
Ditto. I found the K5 a huge improvement over the K7, mainly as it is so much more capable in low light. Secong hand K5's are pretty cheap now, so I personally think the choice is a no-brainer; get a K5, or, if you can afford it, a K5ii. If you want to shoot video, I think the K30 would be a better choice than the K5, and worth considering as an alternative anyway, though I've not personally ever used one.

Hi
I to would agree that the K7 although excellent with good light suffers from noise with ISO above 800 and in poor light. I found that photographing wildlife was difficult especially in poor light with darker subjects. The K7 is fabulous in most situations and indoor low light shots don't suffer with noise too badly. If you going to upgrade then I would wait for a K5 or for the inevitable price drops of the K5ii or K5iis now the K3 is getting more popular and its street price has dropped. I got my K5ii body in December for under 600 and then 85 Pentax cash back off that, from cameracentreuk.com so I expect there will be similar or better deals out there by now.
PS to anyone with a K7 never trade it in or get rid of it if you can help it, they are brilliant for most situations and for landscapes I cant tell which camera I used without seeing the exif info.
Regards David
Last Edited by davidrobinson on 29/06/2014 - 14:25

McGregNi

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 14:32
davidrobinson wrote:
... The K7 is fabulous in most situations and indoor low light shots don't suffer with noise too badly....

PS to anyone with a K7 never trade it in or get rid of it if you can help it, they are brilliant for most situations and for landscapes I cant tell which camera I used without seeing the exif info. David

Great advice, agree totally with all of that - they'll have to wrench the K7 from my hands when I finally .....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Yecora99

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 16:54
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't expect such a quick responseso thank you.

I mainly shoot Landscapes and I am quite interested in Wildlife and Nature. I have a Pentax 100mm FA lens and have recently bought a Sigma 170-500mm lens so that would be what I would be using on the camera.

I did read in other reviews on different websites that the the K7 got mixed reviews some people liked it whilst others put it down (probably due to the noise issue). I saw the K7 advertised at 259. I have had the K10D for about 6 years now and love the results.

My budget for a new (secondhand) camera would stretch to 300 so I thoght the K7 would make a good purchase. The K5 does sound a very tempting camera having read online reviews. But my current budget would not stretch that much.

I may get the camera and see how it compares to my K10D in the same situation and then decide which I should keep K10 or K7.

Best Regards,
Quote:
Pentax K5D, Pentax 16-45mm f4 DA ED AL, Pentax 55-300mm ED, Pentax 100mm Macro f2.8 D-FA, Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 170-500mm.

Darkmunk

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 18:52
The K7 is simply not that much better than the K10. The difference in picture quality will be minimal. In fact you may prefer the punch of the K10D.
Save an extra 50 and get the K5. Or buy a K-x for 150 now THAT is a bargain. Low noise awesomeness.
Long lens = high ISO. K7 just doesn't cut it.
Facebook Page
Plymouth Photographer

Russ

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 19:59
Yecora99 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't expect such a quick responseso thank you.

I mainly shoot Landscapes and I am quite interested in Wildlife and Nature. I have a Pentax 100mm FA lens and have recently bought a Sigma 170-500mm lens so that would be what I would be using on the camera.

I did read in other reviews on different websites that the the K7 got mixed reviews some people liked it whilst others put it down (probably due to the noise issue). I saw the K7 advertised at 259. I have had the K10D for about 6 years now and love the results.

My budget for a new (secondhand) camera would stretch to 300 so I thoght the K7 would make a good purchase. The K5 does sound a very tempting camera having read online reviews. But my current budget would not stretch that much.

I may get the camera and see how it compares to my K10D in the same situation and then decide which I should keep K10 or K7.

Best Regards,

There's someone selling a really nice K5 in the Classifieds for 275. Its a really nice looking sample as well.

Personally i would go the extra mile for the K5 now you've said your budget. There's been plenty of K5's recently being sold for under 300, while K7's are still fetching 220 odd. The K5 is well worth the extra 50. You'll appreciate its high ISO prowess with the Sigma 170-500, especially if the light is a little touch and go.

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/06/2014 - 20:39
You could easily buy a K-5 for 300, so it is within your budget. I sold a mint one on here 4 months or so ago for 250, only thing was the pop-up flash didn't work, but everything else was A1. They regularly sell for 300 or less. Also, a K7 advertised at 259 is not particularly cheap, so I would avoid it if I were you.

Mark makes a good point about the K-x, at 150 this camera is a steal, but it doesn't have the build or weather sealing of the K-5.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.