Pentax K3 II or Olympus OM-D EM-5 II?

madmazda86

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 00:05
I found the EM-1 easy to use and really customisable. I took some great pictures with it using the kit lens (accidentally auto ISO for most of these until I realised I hadn't actually changed it! The bluebells were done in the 'natural' setting'):

https://plus.google.com/photos/104022228082393122013/albums/6147614827624579873?...

I was so surprised at the colour difference between my k-m and the EM-1. Colours on the Pentax are so much warmer, I really like that and I think I would have to tinker with the white balance options on an Olympus to get that back again. I also found the EM-1 images to be a bit noisy at 200 ISO in low-ish light conditions (shooting under a railway bridge in the early morning), even at a fairly low crop. I think the EM 5 II fixes that though as I haven't heard any complaints about that sort of thing in the reviews I've read.

The EVF annoyed me at times, it massively overboosts when you preview DOF, I had stopped down quite a bit to get some nice colours in the sky but it blew everything out. I also turned off all the boost and adjust options for it yet it still showed me lighter picture previews than what I'd actually taken - I had to level everything in post. But that's something I can get used to and compensate for, just like my k-m tends to overexpose if you meter via DOF preview. But the focus peaking is good, yes - I didn't have to chuck many photos and I used MF and M mode for the whole day. Actually, the thing I am the biggest fan of with regard to the EVF is being able to preview the images in the EVF for half a second without needing to take my eye away to look at the LCD as I would with my Pentax. It definitely makes shooting a lot quicker!

I'm waiting for the K3 II to come out, as my local dealer is offering them for test-drive - I really, really want to try the pixel shift side of things and also see how carry-around it is for me. Those two factors will be the overall decider on things, I think. I would certainly be happy with an EM-5 II, but I want to try the K3 II first with my existing lenses before deciding.

Nice to hear from somebody else who has made that switch, thanks for posting!
Last Edited by madmazda86 on 17/05/2015 - 00:10

McGregNi

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 00:23
There's not really any accurate way to assess the exposure, dynamic range and contrast within your images when taking them other than using a camera histogram, and that means looking at the LCD I guess ...at least for the first shot, then you adjust and so long as there's no significant lighting changes then you can leave it.

Any electronic image display is going to be affected by the particular screen settings as well as light pollution. In the case of an already recorded image then you'll be seeing a processed jpg preview anyway, dependant on custom settings and gamma corrected automatically, which can give the impression that exposure is higher than the reality.

The histogram is an extra chore to check regularly, but it beats the educated guesstimates of the film era
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 17/05/2015 - 00:24

richandfleur

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 06:09
McGregNi wrote:
There's not really any accurate way to assess the exposure, dynamic range and contrast within your images when taking them other than using a camera histogram, and that means looking at the LCD I guess

You realise a real time historgram can be displayed as an overlay in the EVF right?

madmazda86

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 09:00
Yup, Richandfleur is correct, you can do that I set my k-m up to put the histo on the back LCD but I never paid that much attention to it, going mainly off the look of the pic (amateur approach, but it's worked for me), so I didn't bother to put it on when I took the EM-1 out for the day. I was using focus peaking so I didn't want to take up extra EVF space with the histo.

Your point about the processed JPG is a fair one but it was the JPGs I was working with in post (as I said earlier, I don't shoot RAW) and they were darker than I was expecting. So I wonder if it's the EVF brightness boost that might have given that illusion, but I don't know for sure. It means the LCD is still the truth teller overall.
Last Edited by madmazda86 on 17/05/2015 - 09:09

Greytop

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 10:18
richandfleur wrote:

You realise a real time historgram can be displayed as an overlay in the EVF right?

Richard is correct of course, that's what I have setup on my E-M1 EVF and rear display. It's easy to switch between by pressing the info button.
Interesting to hear your feedback btw.

One other comment, I always shoot RAW processing with CaptureOne Pro, not that I find jpegs especially lacking but it just gives me that extra flexibility.
Regards Huw

flickr
Last Edited by Greytop on 17/05/2015 - 10:19

McGregNi

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 18:53
Give me my OVF with histogram overlay, and I'll be an even happier Pentax User
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

johnriley

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 19:35
I never use the histogram in the field anyway. Likewise, constant review of images isn't necessary, it just gets in the way of shooting images. Rather than that, a periodic check just to make sure everything is being recorded properly.

The histogram depends so much on the constitution of a scene that it really, IMHO, only comes into its own when using Photoshop to process the images.
Best regards, John

madmazda86

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 19:47
I find blinkies more useful for that sort of thing actually. Mind you, I ignore them as much as I do the histogram really XD When I first got my k-m I took loads of pictures of each thing and spent ages going through them and chucking them out till I had one of the particular shot that I thought was the 'best'. Now I just take two or three, because I know what settings I need most of the time. You can set the image review to be 500ms in the EM-1 that I tried so it doesn't interfere overmuch, just long enough to check the exposure. I did that on my k-m too, 3s review is enough! I don't know how that system deals when you take a number of consecutive pictures though, I should've thought to test that but I was too busy actually using the camera. I guess that's what a field test is about, haha.

I'm excited for the K3 ii coming out next week! I was watching a K5 iiS on ebay but I haven't handled one in person so I decided not to go for it. I'm more interested in the K3 ii than a second-hand K3, I think, but I'll see what it's like when I try it out!

McGregNi

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 20:22
There's plenty of approaches that we can choose to help when out shooting. Personally I find it worthwhile to check the camera histogram frequently (certainly after switching positions or the lighting angle has changed) in order to be sure that my exposure prioriies are being met .... mainly its for checking the hightlights but also the spread of tones can affect how you might choose to expose, depending on the subject matter.
Last Edited by McGregNi on 17/05/2015 - 20:23

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 20:55
I know time is an issue for you but a cheap (free?) way to improve image quality is to shoot RAW. I don't say every shot, less important one could be JPEGs but the difference between the two really has to be seen to be believed. It may become a more fluid process with practice and you'll end up feeling you've wrung every last bit of detail and dynamic range from your files.

Just a thought.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

madmazda86

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 23:02
Yeah, you're probably right - I did shoot RAW+JPG with my k-m back when I first got it but I stopped later on because I was working with a 2GB memory card initially and I found the raw files would just sit there and I wouldn't do anything with them. As I said above, when I first started out I used to take loads of pictures in the hope of getting a good one, so there were just too many RAW files - viewing the JPGs in photo viewer was a quicker way and I'd just edit quickly in PS or GIMP. Now I have a much more economical shooting style (and larger memory cards) so I should probably give it another go!

I'm not much of a wringer, though, in honesty. I think coming from my k-m will be such an upgrade in IQ that I'll probably be drooling over the shots of whatever I buy I do fun arty stuff sometimes but a shot has to really take my eye and make me think 'wow that'd look awesome after a saturation and contrast tinker session'. Like this one from the abandoned subway station in Glasgow.

Overall, I do little editing beyond levels and a tiny amount of contrast.
Last Edited by madmazda86 on 17/05/2015 - 23:06
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.