Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax K10D, Sigma 10-20 and Cokin filters

PentaxAmPho
Posted 01/11/2009 - 19:32 Link
I hope someone can help me prior to me buying additonal filters. I use the Sigma 10-20mm lens on my Pentax K10D. I want to buy some Cokin filters (system) to use with this lens, I dont know whether to buy Zpro or XPro range. can someone please tell me which system of filters I should buy if I want to avoid any possibility of the "vignetting" effect ?

thanks in advance for any help.
Garry
ab uno disce omnes
jackitec
Posted 01/11/2009 - 20:08 Link
Any filters added to this lens will give you at 10mm Vignetting, I usually crop or clone it out.
Jack.
mattox
Posted 02/11/2009 - 10:47 Link
I use z pro for my 16-50 DA. From what I have found, not only the lens angle will give you vignetting, but more importantly the lense diameter. What is the lens diameter of this 10-20? With my 77mm diameter i get very minimal vigetting at 16 with the z pro. Having said that, without the filters there is slight vigetting anyway. Another important factor is the use of uv protectors with your lens. With wide angel and large diameter it is imperitive to use a slim line filter. I know people that use 10-20 lenses with z pro and haven't had any problems. They take their Uv filter off before hand and this pretty much cancels vigetting out. Hope I am making sense here.
simonarthurs
Posted 03/11/2009 - 22:48 Link
I switched from Cokin P series to Lee filters 105mm on a 77mm wide angle ring to avoid vignetting on my sigma 10-20 (at 10mm) with no more than 2 filters fitted at once (using a K10D).....works for me, it was however an expensive switch but worth it.

Cropping is the alternative or not shoting at 10mm..... which kind of defeats the object.....

either way make sure you view a couple test shots as you won't always pick up the vignetting via the viewfinder alone.....

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.