Pentax K1 K1ii advice

pschlute

Link Posted 20/02/2021 - 23:24
Mike-P wrote:
I'm pretty sure the lens correction data is written to the raw files which is why I have them switched off, they definately slow things down.

Lens correction (if turned on) will be :

1. Registered in the raw file, so it can be applied during raw conversion if you wish to . Any decent raw converter will not apply them automatically.

2. Applied to the jpeg preview embedded in the raw file.

I guess if you shoot at the limits of your cameras buffer, they will slow things down. In that case turn them off.
Peter

My Flickr page

Helpful

davidwozhere

Link Posted 21/02/2021 - 01:03
I find no problem with the K1 at ISO800, which is where it normally is these days. As to noise, one of the best removers I have found is in Faststone image viewer - shortcut to find it is Ctrl + J. There is a lot of control over what happens and it's very effective.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Helpful

Chrism8

Link Posted 21/02/2021 - 08:41
The K1's good imo up to ISO 6400, I again fairly regularly run it at ISO 3200.

Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

davidrobinson

Link Posted 21/02/2021 - 11:23
Thanks to everyone for your excellent advice it has both educated and reassured me. I'm using Adobe PSE 2021 and find RAW noise reduction is adequate for my needs especially now I know Iím expecting too much from a K3 ii and high ISO files. Iíve set the max ISO to 6400 and am trying not to use the camera above 3200 ISO since then the images are much better. Hopefully if the grey skies go away I can get some photos worth posting.
Thanks again

pschlute

Link Posted 21/02/2021 - 15:05
The other thing to do David, is to apply the NR selectively. You use PSE so you can create a NR layer with a mask. Using the paintbrush tool you can "paint in" areas of the photo where you want the NR applied, and leave other areas untouched.

I find this method far superior to a blanket NR applied to the whole picture. It prevents softening the image where NR is not needed,
Peter

My Flickr page

Helpful

RobL

Link Posted 21/02/2021 - 15:57
pschlute wrote:
The other thing to do David, is to apply the NR selectively. You use PSE so you can create a NR layer with a mask. Using the paintbrush tool you can "paint in" areas of the photo where you want the NR applied, and leave other areas untouched.

I find this method far superior to a blanket NR applied to the whole picture. It prevents softening the image where NR is not needed,

Just for info you can do the same thing in Lightroom with an adjustment brush, I do this for wildlife shots where I reduce the noise just enough globally to maintain sharpness in the subject (fur, feathers etc.) and then use the adjustment brush to reduce noise further in the background where it is more obvious.
Last Edited by RobL on 21/02/2021 - 16:01

pschlute

Link Posted 21/02/2021 - 19:26
RobL wrote:
pschlute wrote:

Just for info you can do the same thing in Lightroom with an adjustment brush, I do this for wildlife shots where I reduce the noise just enough globally to maintain sharpness in the subject (fur, feathers etc.) and then use the adjustment brush to reduce noise further in the background where it is more obvious.

Yes, I tend to use Photoshop more than LR for editing simply because I know my way round it better. The whole photography package has a lot to offer.
Peter

My Flickr page

davidrobinson

Link Posted 22/02/2021 - 21:05
pschlute wrote:

Blankets, masks and layers will have to wait until I have time to watch learn and try. Hang on a minute I dont seem to have much in my calender maybe I will try all the Black Magic buttons in Photoshop Elements. It will be a steep learning curve but I've nothing to lose.
Conditions were far from ideal today but with my 150-500 mm Sigma attached I got some pretty reasonable results. Our local church was shot in poor light 1-2 miles distance at 500mm. The Dove was shot through a kitchen window
Dove was through the kitchen window
Last Edited by davidrobinson on 22/02/2021 - 21:08
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.