Pentax K-3 Mark III now available to pre-order!

pschlute

Link Posted 21/04/2021 - 16:42
JohnX wrote:

Image Sync app on a phone will give equivalent of a flippy screen, and could be more versatile/convenient, and it appears that the latest update can automatically transfer GPS data to the camera.

Although I think the lack of a flippy screen is a mistake for the k3III, I agree with what you say here.

I do most of my photography on a tripod, where a phone linked through the app will be more versatile than a movable screen attached to the camera, and will give the GPS data too.

But there are plenty on forums who do a lot of handheld high/low shots and the phone option won't help them much
Peter

My Flickr page

Darrel

Link Posted 21/04/2021 - 16:48
JohnX wrote:
I use
Darrel wrote:
Quote:
Darrel wrote:
From what I've seen on YouTube, the K3III is very nice indeed and handles well but no moveable screen and its price means I won't be buying one. On price, I paid just £704 for my K3II from SRS in 2017 - and that included a free DA 50mm F1.8 lens. OK, that was a bargain but £1900 is not what I'm prepared to pay now. Moreover, two of my present favourite photo subjects, astro & macro, really benefit from being able to angle the screen to achieve a comfortable viewing position and I had expected that feature to be included on the K3III - I can't understand why Pentax would limit their sales by not doing so. And the GPS has gone - something I use a lot. So, I'll be sticking with my K3II.

Image Sync app on a phone will give equivalent of a flippy screen, and could be more versatile/convenient, and it appears that the latest update can automatically transfer GPS data to the camera.

Hi John - I was excited when I saw your post wrt the Image Sync app as I thought it could be a great work around for my K3II - sadly that camera isn't supported (no Bluetooth or WiFi). Also, I think the app only supports JPEGS, which are not suitable for Astro. I use the GPS not only for location data but also for the Astrotracer function, which a phone couldn't provide. I don't think using a phone would be good for me for macro either because, as others have noted, it'd be awkward to handle and again, I like to shoot RAW. Perhaps someone else out there has first hand experience of the app - it'd be interesting to hear how they get on with it.

I use a small field monitor with my K3II (and other cameras) for viewing, but actually sold my O-GPS 1 unit as I wasn't using it. I also use the Pentax Flu-card and Toshiba Flashair devices for remote access to the camera. I don't see the issue with JPEG only; the RAW stays on the card until I want to download it via a card reader, etc. As to Astrotracer, in my simple world I don't see why camera orientation, etc, can't be provided via Image Sync too. Afaik the O-GPS 1 unit only provides compass and GPS data for use by the camera.

Suppose we all have to wait and see what Pentax actually deliver with the K3III and future models.

Yes, point taken about the RAW files. I have been thinking of a field monitor for Astro. I'm sure it'd do a good job, but it would have been nice to have had the flippy screen option! I too had a O-GPS unit that I used with my K5 but again, it would be nice to have that facility built-in to the new camera. For me, the camera that has it all is the K1 but I don't really want the size & weight of that full frame camera, or want to upgrade most of my lens collection.

Dave-L

Link Posted 22/04/2021 - 06:48
pschlute wrote:
JohnX wrote:

Although I think the lack of a flippy screen is a mistake for the k3III, I agree with what you say here.

I do most of my photography on a tripod, where a phone linked through the app will be more versatile than a movable screen attached to the camera, and will give the GPS data too.

But there are plenty on forums who do a lot of handheld high/low shots and the phone option won't help them much

Getting down and dirty plus a bit of intelligent guesswork for the high shots will though, the mark of a true and determined Pentaxian!
K3/K5/10-17fisheye/15mmDA Ltd/18-55WR/55-300DA/100DFAMacroWR/50F1.4M/200F4M/DA*200F2.8/DA*300F4/DA*50-135/DA*60-250/Mitsuki 400F5.6/others.
Last Edited by Dave-L on 22/04/2021 - 06:51

Chris@SRSWATFORD

Link Posted 22/04/2021 - 17:07
We are hopefully receiveing our first batch of cameras tomorrow (courier dependant)

Demand has been very high so our first batch is less than we'd hoped so not all back-orders will be supplied but our next batch is due late next week.

Can't quite believe they are on the way - it's seems a long time since they were first talked about.....
For all things Pentax please visit www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk - anything not listed please email or call!

Follow us on Facebook

RobL

Link Posted 22/04/2021 - 19:11
Chris@SRSWATFORD wrote:
We are hopefully receiveing our first batch of cameras tomorrow (courier dependant)

Demand has been very high so our first batch is less than we'd hoped so not all back-orders will be supplied but our next batch is due late next week.

Can't quite believe they are on the way - it's seems a long time since they were first talked about.....

Well that must surely be a good thing, although less so for the expectant purchasers, and a rebuttal of all the naysayers who said nobody would buy it.

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/04/2021 - 19:46
RobL wrote:
Well that must surely be a good thing, although less so for the expectant purchasers, and a rebuttal of all the naysayers who said nobody would buy it.

I have seen a few people on the forum say they will wait until it's affordable and a few more that probably won't buy it because it's missing something important to them but I don't think I have seen one person on here saying that no one will buy it ?
. My Flickr

JonSchick

Link Posted 22/04/2021 - 20:28
Allowing myself to be a little bit excited.

First new Pentax for me since K-5ii (and actually that one wasn't new) and looking forward very much to putting a nice collection of DA Limiteds to use, plus a couple of other oldie but goodies.

I've sold two camera systems to return to Pentax, which is where I started with my dad's Spotmatic and then my cherished MX which I bought with a lot of saved pocket money and newspaper delivery earnings more years ago than I care to remember!

Can't wait, and good to hear that the initial demand has been high; hopefully if the initial reviews are good, that position may continue for a while
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/04/2021 - 21:12
JonSchick wrote:
Allowing myself to be a little bit excited.

First new Pentax for me since K-5ii (and actually that one wasn't new) and looking forward very much to putting a nice collection of DA Limiteds to use, plus a couple of other oldie but goodies.

So you should.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the new camera
. My Flickr

RobL

Link Posted 23/04/2021 - 09:20
Chris@SRSWATFORD wrote:

RobL

Link Posted 23/04/2021 - 09:32
Mike-P wrote:
RobL wrote:

I have seen a few people on the forum say they will wait until it's affordable and a few more that probably won't buy it because it's missing something important to them but I don't think I have seen one person on here saying that no one will buy it ?

Not here but on t’internet, one article carried the title “The new camera nobody will buy” and so on, mainly because it isn’t mirrorless. Love to see them proved wrong. If I didn’t have a K1 I would definitely consider it and hope a new FF model comes out soon with the same advancements in autofocus and sensitivity.
Last Edited by RobL on 23/04/2021 - 09:35

JonSchick

Link Posted 23/04/2021 - 17:53
Popping into Watford first thing tomorrow 😁

Doing my bit to subsidise later price reductions and also the development costs of the K-1iii!
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

Darrel

Link Posted 23/04/2021 - 17:56
Good man!

JonSchick wrote:
Popping into Watford first thing tomorrow 😁

Doing my bit to subsidise later price reductions and also the development costs of the K-1iii!

wooly1

Link Posted 23/04/2021 - 20:23
Making progress - Have received the reward points if not the camera!!

womble

Link Posted 24/04/2021 - 15:27
Thanks to SRS Microsystems for supplying my prize from the Pentax Forums Prize Draw. And thanks to Pentax Forums and Adam for arranging it. Before anyone asks, I haven't even had a chance to take it out of the box yet.

Collecting my prize par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Mike-P

Link Posted 24/04/2021 - 16:00
womble wrote:
Thanks to SRS Microsystems for supplying my prize from the Pentax Forums Prize Draw. And thanks to Pentax Forums and Adam for arranging it.

Not even a premium kit ... bunch of tightwads on Pentax forums if you ask me

What did you win it for Kris?
. My Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.