Pentax K-3 Mark III now available to pre-order!

Froggy

Link Posted 12/04/2021 - 14:15
At £1900 it was touch and go whether or not go for to the K3 mkIII. The thing that just tipped the scales against was the absence of the flippy screen. I have found the screen on my K1 extremely useful especially when reviewing shots with a long lens on the camera as well as for low level shots. Its not important to some but at that price it was the decisive factor for me.

JonSchick

Link Posted 12/04/2021 - 15:25
Given the choice Iíd much prefer a tilting screen to a fully articulated one; the implementation on the Fuji X100V is a good example of how it can be done on a WR camera whilst adding almost no bulk. Nevertheless, itís not a deal breaker for me and I anticipate it would only be irritating on a handful of occasions per year. Iím still excited about the K3iii - I think itís going to be a fabulous camera; not perfect perhaps but then what is?
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

Nakedgun

Link Posted 13/04/2021 - 11:41
Waiting for the reviews, but my anticipation is high and more than likely I'll have one by Christmas. Current APS-C being the K-5iis the new body should be a nice upgrade.
"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin

pschlute

Link Posted 13/04/2021 - 19:55
As a user of the K1, with flippy screen, I would just say I do use it a lot. But 95% of the time when the camera is on a tripod, either low or high level.

I cannot remember the last time I took photos handheld above head height or very low down.
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 13/04/2021 - 19:56

davidwozhere

Link Posted 14/04/2021 - 01:40
I think it comes down to your own particular style. Many people would never use it but for those who do, their money is better spent on a new K1, KP or, perish the thought, the competition.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

JohnX

Link Posted 14/04/2021 - 17:49
I've just placed an order with SRS for the K3III Black Premium Kit.

Why with SRS rather than an over-seas company? 'Cos I want to support UK shops and businesses and trust SRS to look after me, even if I'm paying a bit more.

Extended warranty? That'd be great too, but none of my Pentax kits has missed a beat since new so whilst a 5 year vs 2 year warranty would be nice I haven't needed any warranty work so far.

Don't get me wrong. If I could save £200 that would be great, but frankly I'd rather have the peace of mind dealing with a great company like SRS than any possible hassle involving an over-seas company.

Am I bothered about the lack of a flippy screen? I'd like one, but don't have any cameras with one so no idea if I'll miss it, but do have cameras that work in conjunction with a mobile phone app and find the ability to control the camera from a distance, standing, etc., works very well, and appeals much more than trying to see a low down or up high flippy screen with the sun shining on it. I also have a small plug-in field monitor.

K5II or K3II each with less than 1000 shutter actuations anyone? Pentax grips for both too!!!
Last Edited by JohnX on 14/04/2021 - 17:53

Dave-L

Link Posted 17/04/2021 - 02:00
Mike-P wrote:
Leaving off the flippy screen is just madness in my opinion. If it's down to size then that's just millimeters, it would make no real difference at all. If it's down to cost then it's just penny pinching.

I'm not bothered either way but to my way of thinking RIcoh have lost a lot of potential customers because if you really wanted the flippy screen then you aren't going to buy this camera whereas if it were on the camera to begin with no one is really going to not buy it because they dislike them THAT much.

It's size *and* cost surely - it would probably have pushed the price over two grand. A tilting or flippy screen is also one more thing to get damaged or let in moisture in what's intended to be a fairly rugged go-anywhere camera.

I can't remember the last time I even used my K-5 or K-3 screen to compose photos, I use the viewfinder exclusively, whatever body contortions are needed to see. So a fixed screen doesn't bother me and it keeps the price down just enough to get me interested.

The phone connectivity may be useful though, for taking photos over heads, high fences and birds or animals from a hide or even my house, camera out in the garden. I'm sure other uses will emerge too. Price apart, I'm sold on it so it's just a question of when to bite. I quite like the idea of a silver one too, haven't had one of them since my old and long-lived MX!
K3/K5/10-17fisheye/15mmDA Ltd/18-55WR/55-300DA/100DFAMacroWR/50F1.4M/200F4M/DA*200F2.8/DA*300F4/DA*50-135/DA*60-250/Mitsuki 400F5.6/others.

MrB

Link Posted 17/04/2021 - 09:17
Mike-P wrote:

I still think Ricoh have lost a lot more sales by not having it than had they put it on. At the end of the day what everyone wants is for the brand to continue and it's decisions like that which make you wonder sometimes.

+1

Several years ago, when I used a K-5 IIs and the available Pentax models had only fixed screens, I bought an APS-C MILC with a movable screen to facilitate hand-held low-down shots - I can get down low with any camera.....but I can't get up again! A while later I exchanged the MILC for a K-70, with its articulated screen, as Pentax ergonomics are so superb. Then in 2019 I upgraded to the KP - a great quality compact APS-C DSLR with a tilt screen.

Pentax have the experience of producing various sorts of effective, robust and WR movable screens, and many Pentax users have appreciated their benefits, even if they mainly use the OVF. The decision not to include one of any type in the K-3 III was misguided, as it reduces the photographic opportunities of a significant number of users, particularly those who have limited physical capability and/or wish to carry and handle the minimum amount of gear on their outings.

Philip

redbusa99

Link Posted 17/04/2021 - 22:52
no moveable screen, tilt or fully articulated will give all the Pentax bashers a field day. BIG MISTAKE i think as surely it should be standard fitment now. Doesn't bother me personally as i don't intend to buy another camera. The K3ii is more than capable for my needs.
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr

Darrel

Link Posted 19/04/2021 - 10:15
From what I've seen on YouTube, the K3III is very nice indeed and handles well but no moveable screen and its price means I won't be buying one. On price, I paid just £704 for my K3II from SRS in 2017 - and that included a free DA 50mm F1.8 lens. OK, that was a bargain but £1900 is not what I'm prepared to pay now. Moreover, two of my present favourite photo subjects, astro & macro, really benefit from being able to angle the screen to achieve a comfortable viewing position and I had expected that feature to be included on the K3III - I can't understand why Pentax would limit their sales by not doing so. And the GPS has gone - something I use a lot. So, I'll be sticking with my K3II.

womble

Link Posted 20/04/2021 - 06:29
A week or two back AP, in their column looking at old issues of the magazine, noted that a Spotmatic, in today's money, would be over £2000.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the cameraÖ they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

jeallen01

Link Posted 20/04/2021 - 23:04
Ref the "flippy screen": it's sometimes quite handy with the K-70 as my "walk-around" camera, but, w.r.t. the way I personally use my K-3 bodies, then it wouldn't be an issue because I don't use those for "walk-around" activities.
PS: ref "walk-around activities" - I now have trouble with walking, letalone actually taking photos at the same time

Thus getting a K-3 III is now a "definite maybe" (much as I actually want one!)
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 20/04/2021 - 23:10

JohnX

Link Posted 21/04/2021 - 14:36
Darrel wrote:
From what I've seen on YouTube, the K3III is very nice indeed and handles well but no moveable screen and its price means I won't be buying one. On price, I paid just £704 for my K3II from SRS in 2017 - and that included a free DA 50mm F1.8 lens. OK, that was a bargain but £1900 is not what I'm prepared to pay now. Moreover, two of my present favourite photo subjects, astro & macro, really benefit from being able to angle the screen to achieve a comfortable viewing position and I had expected that feature to be included on the K3III - I can't understand why Pentax would limit their sales by not doing so. And the GPS has gone - something I use a lot. So, I'll be sticking with my K3II.

Image Sync app on a phone will give equivalent of a flippy screen, and could be more versatile/convenient, and it appears that the latest update can automatically transfer GPS data to the camera.
Last Edited by JohnX on 21/04/2021 - 14:37

Darrel

Link Posted 21/04/2021 - 15:51
JohnX wrote:
Darrel wrote:

Image Sync app on a phone will give equivalent of a flippy screen, and could be more versatile/convenient, and it appears that the latest update can automatically transfer GPS data to the camera.

Hi John - I was excited when I saw your post wrt the Image Sync app as I thought it could be a great work around for my K3II - sadly that camera isn't supported (no Bluetooth or WiFi). Also, I think the app only supports JPEGS, which are not suitable for Astro. I use the GPS not only for location data but also for the Astrotracer function, which a phone couldn't provide. I don't think using a phone would be good for me for macro either because, as others have noted, it'd be awkward to handle and again, I like to shoot RAW. Perhaps someone else out there has first hand experience of the app - it'd be interesting to hear how they get on with it.

JohnX

Link Posted 21/04/2021 - 16:13
I use
Darrel wrote:
JohnX wrote:
Quote:

Hi John - I was excited when I saw your post wrt the Image Sync app as I thought it could be a great work around for my K3II - sadly that camera isn't supported (no Bluetooth or WiFi). Also, I think the app only supports JPEGS, which are not suitable for Astro. I use the GPS not only for location data but also for the Astrotracer function, which a phone couldn't provide. I don't think using a phone would be good for me for macro either because, as others have noted, it'd be awkward to handle and again, I like to shoot RAW. Perhaps someone else out there has first hand experience of the app - it'd be interesting to hear how they get on with it.

I use a small field monitor with my K3II (and other cameras) for viewing, but actually sold my O-GPS 1 unit as I wasn't using it. I also use the Pentax Flu-card and Toshiba Flashair devices for remote access to the camera. I don't see the issue with JPEG only; the RAW stays on the card until I want to download it via a card reader, etc. As to Astrotracer, in my simple world I don't see why camera orientation, etc, can't be provided via Image Sync too. Afaik the O-GPS 1 unit only provides compass and GPS data for use by the camera.

Suppose we all have to wait and see what Pentax actually deliver with the K3III and future models.
Last Edited by JohnX on 21/04/2021 - 16:15
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.