Pentax K-3 Mark III now available to pre-order!

davidwozhere

Link Posted 10/04/2021 - 00:25
It's still the lack of a flippy screen for me. I have deliberately been using my K5 recently rather than the K1. In most cases it has been extremely difficult, necessitating dragging the wheelie bin out so I can place the subject at a suitable height to actually see it! Leaving that out was a very bad idea.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

HarisF1

Link Posted 10/04/2021 - 06:50
davidwozhere wrote:
It's still the lack of a flippy screen for me. I have deliberately been using my K5 recently rather than the K1. In most cases it has been extremely difficult, necessitating dragging the wheelie bin out so I can place the subject at a suitable height to actually see it! Leaving that out was a very bad idea.

Someone mentioned that it could be intentional as the option of using a phone as a second screen becomes more popular.

It's definitely an idea but it's way more fiddly when trying to control two devices at silly handheld angles. With a tripod it'd work great.

RobL

Link Posted 10/04/2021 - 07:32
I suspect the rear screen is fixed for two reasons: to keep the body as slim as possible so as to more closely resemble a mirrorless, and to maximise its size. I agree though it is a regrettable decision.

DOIK

Link Posted 10/04/2021 - 10:29
HarisF1 wrote:

Someone mentioned that it could be intentional as the option of using a phone as a second screen becomes more popular.

A bit like this

Sarah Caldecott of The Northern Echo, multitasking

John

Mike-P

Link Posted 10/04/2021 - 10:50
Leaving off the flippy screen is just madness in my opinion. If it's down to size then that's just millimeters, it would make no real difference at all. If it's down to cost then it's just penny pinching.

I'm not bothered either way but to my way of thinking RIcoh have lost a lot of potential customers because if you really wanted the flippy screen then you aren't going to buy this camera whereas if it were on the camera to begin with no one is really going to not buy it because they dislike them THAT much.

As to buying the body from the Netherlands my 150-450mm came from them the first few weeks it was released (about 300 cheaper at the time if I remember correctly) and it was a painless experience. Mind you this was pre-Brexit and I didn't have to make a warranty claim
. My Flickr

Simonmac

Link Posted 10/04/2021 - 12:03
If I could afford it I would snap it up.
I am, however, more than happy with my venerable k5iis.
The lack of a tilting screen wouldn't bother me. I invested in a mirrorless compact from another brand 18 months ago largely because of its flippy screen as I felt that I was missing out. I rarely use that feature as I shoot handheld.
I returned to my Pentax a couple of months ago and it was like being reborn!
macmccreery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/simac/
www.500px.com/simac

Mike-P

Link Posted 10/04/2021 - 13:55
Simonmac wrote:
I invested in a mirrorless compact from another brand 18 months ago largely because of its flippy screen as I felt that I was missing out. I rarely use that feature as I shoot handheld.

You can use the flippy screen handheld, as I said it makes no real difference but that's where it's most useful for me.
. My Flickr

roberrl

Link Posted 11/04/2021 - 19:08
I use the flippy screen on my K-S2 most often in the air at arm's length to allow me to take pictures over a security fence at motor racing or over crowds round the bride and groom at a wedding. Occasionally for down low pictures but that's rare. In either case a separate phone is not really satisfactory.
Sadly this rules out the K3iii as far as I'm concerned.

davidwozhere

Link Posted 12/04/2021 - 00:09
Can someone explain please how you hold a heavy camera steady in one hand and prod the screen of a mobile phone with the other? Has the linkage and software been overhauled so that it will accommodate this? The last version of WiFi tethering was clunky at best. Why should one risk one's 2K camera and one's 500 mobile phone in this way?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Lubbyman

Link Posted 12/04/2021 - 09:47
davidwozhere wrote:
Can someone explain please how you hold a heavy camera steady in one hand and prod the screen of a mobile phone with the other?

Answer: You can't. I've always understood that holding the camera against your face (i.e. looking through the viewfinder) contributed to stability. But... with shake reduction, holding a camera steady may not be as important as it used to be. And for video, monitoring on a screen seems to be the norm.

As for risking camera and phone, make that 3K for camera + lens and 1K for phone. And the lady in the picture is going against at least 2 and a half points in the Met police advice re protecting against criminals on bikes and mopeds:
- Look out for anyone on a bike or a moped near you. Look up, look out.
- Stand away from the roadside, close to a building or wall, so no one can come up behind you.
- Don't text while you're walking you won't notice what's going on around you. (The Met advice clearly needs updating here to include using DSLR with phone, but the principle is the same.)
But when it's your camera, your phone, your money, you're entitled to take the risk - just as long as you don't expect sympathy if someone rides off with it!

Steve

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 12/04/2021 - 11:06
The lack of a flip-out screen has been very divisive with the release of this camera. Given that it's a high-end model and very little has been left out I suspect it was done for size rather than cost. I find the flip-out screen on my Fujifilm cameras very useful at times.

The below link is for a little 7 gadget to attach a phone to the hotshoe and if the camera has wifi to allow the phone to be used for live-view then this essentially solves the problem: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ulanzi-ST-06-Phone-Holder-Tripod-Mount-Camera-Hot-Sho...

It may not be as convenient but I think with this simple solution it's a hard sell to say that the lack of a flip-out screen is a deal-breaker for anyone.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Lubbyman

Link Posted 12/04/2021 - 12:10
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
The below link is for a little 7 gadget to attach a phone to the hotshoe and if the camera has wifi to allow the phone to be used for live-view then this essentially solves the problem: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ulanzi-ST-06-Phone-Holder-Tripod-Mount-Camera-Hot-Sho...

Perfect! You'll simultaneously be able to take a selfie of you taking a photo with the real camera.

Steve

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/04/2021 - 12:28
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

It may not be as convenient but I think with this simple solution it's a hard sell to say that the lack of a flip-out screen is a deal-breaker for anyone.

Tell that to the multitude of people on Pentaxforums (and a few on here and elsewhere) and I'm petty sure they will disagree with you. Having a mobile phone on a hotshoe adapter is nothing like having a fully articulating rear screen. the same as having GPS on your phone or using an external astrotracer unit is not the same as having it in camera.
. My Flickr

Chrism8

Link Posted 12/04/2021 - 12:31
Not a deal breaker for me, I hardly use the flippy screen on the K1, prob once a year just for ground level fungi shots.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

Mike-P

Link Posted 12/04/2021 - 13:00
Chrism8 wrote:
Not a deal breaker for me, I hardly use the flippy screen on the K1, prob once a year just for ground level fungi shots.

It's not for me either but I still think Ricoh have lost a lot more sales by not having it than had they put it on. At the end of the day what everyone wants is for the brand to continue and it's decisions like that which make you wonder sometimes.
. My Flickr
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.