Pentax K-3 Mark III now available to pre-order!

JonSchick

Link Posted 06/04/2021 - 17:59
johnriley wrote:
If indeed we could assume that any difference was due to the retailer in the UK, who for all we know might be feeling very frustrated by an implication that may not be accurate. I don't think photographic suppliers are actually rolling in spare cash at the moment, but I don't assume one way or the other as I'm not in that business.

What I do know is that if something goes wrong, SRS will collect the faulty product, fix the problem and return it fixed or replaced with no hassle at all. They have my vote and have never let me down. To be fair to other UK suppliers, I have bought items and received perfectly good service, but not for items SRS sold because they are my go-to choice.

Completely agree.

I would imagine the pricing strategy is set by Ricoh and not local dealers - itís the same price across all the UK outlets. And I have only good things to say about the service Iíve had from SRS as well as other UK dealers over the years (eg Park, WEX, others).

Iím not so keen on buying a brand new product which may (but hopefully wonít) have teething troubles from a foreign dealership just in case repairs are required. And the potential consequence of going for the cheapest option on line is the eradication of local shops and centres of excellence like SRS and others. That might not matter to some but I live only a few miles from Watford and thereís little other reason to go there (certainly not the football😀!!
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
Last Edited by JonSchick on 06/04/2021 - 18:01

pschlute

Link Posted 06/04/2021 - 21:34
Like others on here I have bought from UK retailers for many years. I have had a couple of cameras that needed looking at under warranty and the dealers (Park and SRS) have done everything possible to help.

I am sure so would the Dutch retailer, but if I want to try something out or return something I think may be faulty, I prefer a drive to Watford than The Netherlands.
Peter

My Flickr page

womble

Link Posted 07/04/2021 - 07:50
JonSchick wrote:
That might not matter to some but I live only a few miles from Watford and thereís little other reason to go there (certainly not the football😀!!

That sounds familiar!
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the cameraÖ they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Snappyhoffy

Link Posted 07/04/2021 - 16:49
womble wrote:
JonSchick wrote:
That might not matter to some but I live only a few miles from Watford and thereís little other reason to go there (certainly not the football😀!!

That sounds familiar!

Certainly not now that 'Baileys' is closed (for those of a 'certain age'!)
'Life looks simple through a viewfinder'.....then I went Digital!
Keith
K3, DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA* 300, AF360

JonSchick

Link Posted 07/04/2021 - 21:54
Snappyhoffy wrote:
womble wrote:
Quote:

That sounds familiar!

Hmmm I may be (nearly!) of a certain age but new to Herts so wonít get all the references yet! Moved here from SE London between the lockdowns and will be nice to meet some locals once thatís possible, perhaps for a photo walk. Iíll put a separate post up sometime soon to see if there are any takers.

Cheers,

Jon
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link

Snappyhoffy

Link Posted 07/04/2021 - 23:05
Snappyhoffy wrote:
womble wrote:
Quote:

That sounds familiar!

To clarify to those 'younger ones'..... 'Baileys' was a Night Club in the mid 70's that was sighted opposite to the current SRS Microsystems Store. It seems ironic that as an 'older gentleman' I can still have the same expectations and excitement over an establishment that may bring me pleasure but that is now SRS!!

If anyone is reading this from SRS - please feel free to use the above quote (for a small discount) and I have yet to hear from SRS if they are preparing a 'Trade In' policy for the new K3 iii. (I have a K3 to trade in please .... and possibly a pair of flares and gold medallion)
Keith

Lubbyman

Link Posted 08/04/2021 - 10:45
Snappyhoffy wrote:
I have yet to hear from SRS if they are preparing a 'Trade In' policy for the new K3 iii.

"We are offering enhanced part exchange values - better than anyone else - and you get reward points for future purchases.". It's in this thread.

Presumably they can't be more specific until they know the part exchange values that everyone else offering.

Steve

Mike-P

Link Posted 08/04/2021 - 11:24
Just email or PM Chris at SRS and ask him, that's what I did with my K-1 and got a p/x value within a couple of days (although he is normally faster, it was over the Easter weekend).
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 08/04/2021 - 11:24

Snappyhoffy

Link Posted 09/04/2021 - 14:42
SRS have been in contact and K3 iii Ordered!! Let's hope it is as good as it seems....
Keith

AlB

Link Posted 09/04/2021 - 18:07
Is anyone interested to know what an enhanced part ex. rate is? I've had two quotes, so far, for a well used, but fully working K3 ii. One at £310 and the other, which I take to be the enhanced one, at £325. Part ex quotes for a K30, again well used but fully working £50 and the enhanced one £0.
I've since sold the K30 for more than double the top quote (Ebay fees £1 only) and will probably keep the K3 ii for the grandkids to use.
I've absolutely nothing against SRS, in fact most of my gear has been bought from them either directly or from their Ebay shop, but I'm not willing to pay nearly £200 extra on the off chance that the K3 iii may have to go back to them repair. I've never in nearly 40 years of using Pentax gear had to send any of their gear for repair. Maybe I've been lucky.
Unless the £ does a nosedive in the next couple of weeks I'll be buying Dutch and I have every confidence that it will be just as easy and painless as buying from the UK retailers but if by any chance something does go wrong with it in the first 5 years, it's hardly expensive or difficult to post it to the Netherlands

RobL

Link Posted 09/04/2021 - 18:22
Considering that a retailer would have to check an exchanged product, repair any faults and sell with a warranty, photo and post on their website and add a small profit to boot, it isnít surprising you would get more on eBay. Against that is the saving of hassle in walking into the shop with one camera and coming out with another without risk.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 09/04/2021 - 18:57
For the last week or two, every time I take a few photos with my K3 I've asked a question: 'Would a K3III have produced better pictures, made it easier or more enjoyable, or enabled me to take a picture that I wasn't able to today?'. So far, the answer in every case has been 'Unlikely'. Looking forward to seeing some examples from all you early adopters that might change the answer to 'Probably' or even 'Yes'!

Steve

pschlute

Link Posted 09/04/2021 - 19:54
AlB wrote:
Is anyone interested to know what an enhanced part ex. rate is? I've had two quotes, so far, for a well used, but fully working K3 ii. One at £310 and the other, which I take to be the enhanced one, at £325. Part ex quotes for a K30, again well used but fully working £50 and the enhanced one £0.
I've since sold the K30 for more than double the top quote (Ebay fees £1 only) and will probably keep the K3 ii for the grandkids to use.
I've absolutely nothing against SRS, in fact most of my gear has been bought from them either directly or from their Ebay shop, but I'm not willing to pay nearly £200 extra on the off chance that the K3 iii may have to go back to them repair. I've never in nearly 40 years of using Pentax gear had to send any of their gear for repair. Maybe I've been lucky.
Unless the £ does a nosedive in the next couple of weeks I'll be buying Dutch and I have every confidence that it will be just as easy and painless as buying from the UK retailers but if by any chance something does go wrong with it in the first 5 years, it's hardly expensive or difficult to post it to the Netherlands

There is no conspiracy here. Prices are what they are and all UK retailers are offering the same price for the K3III.

Buy where you wish to buy. At the end of the day it is only a camera
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 09/04/2021 - 19:58

pschlute

Link Posted 09/04/2021 - 19:56
Lubbyman wrote:
For the last week or two, every time I take a few photos with my K3 I've asked a question: 'Would a K3III have produced better pictures, made it easier or more enjoyable, or enabled me to take a picture that I wasn't able to today?'. So far, the answer in every case has been 'Unlikely'. Looking forward to seeing some examples from all you early adopters that might change the answer to 'Probably' or even 'Yes'!

Steve

Unless I want to print large, the same can be said for my old *istDS.

New models of cameras do not re-invent the wheel
Peter

My Flickr page

Lubbyman

Link Posted 09/04/2021 - 21:05
pschlute wrote:

New models of cameras do not re-invent the wheel

The pneumatic tyre didn't change the basic function of the wheel, but it was a significant step forward for the user.

I changed from K20D to K3 because the K3 seemed to offer some things that I was finding frustrating with the K20D (more like adding a pneumatic tyre than reinventing the wheel itself). Based on specs alone, I can't see the K3III doing the same for me. But if someone can provide photographic evidence that, with DA*300mm attached, its AF can track a skittish hoverfly at near minimum focus distance, then perhaps I could be persuaded...

Steve
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.