Pentax K-3 Mark III now available to pre-order!

johnha

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 11:02
The benefit of USB charging is a real advantage once you're away from mains power or travelling, particularly if you could charge the battery in the grip without swapping them round?

When I bought my GR I was concerned about it, but it hasn't been a problem and helps when travelling.

You can always buy a charger if you need too.
PPG Flickr
Last Edited by johnha on 02/04/2021 - 11:03

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 11:39
I have a Fujifilm charger but since I got the X-T20, which has USB charging, I don't use it. USB charging is much more convenient even if it does take longer (five hours as opposed to three, or something like that).

For anyone concerned, chargers for the Pentax batteries can be bought very cheaply on e-Bay. I have one I bought with two third-party extra batteries. The batteries stopped working well after a couple of years (I bought a genuine one which is still going strong therefore better value) but the second charger is handy to have.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

JAK

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 11:58
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
USB charging is much more convenient even if it does take longer

Until the socket breaks! I had a radio with USB charging, but alas it charges no more. Also my cousin's phone USB socket broke too. They're a weak point so seemingly from experience not always a reliable method.
The issue is they're too small and flimsy or have poor soldering to a motherboard.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 02/04/2021 - 12:02

Mike-P

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 12:17
Not including a mains charger just smacks of penny pinching to me, especially when the body alone costs 1,900000 of them.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

barkin

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 14:15
JAK wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

Until the socket breaks! I had a radio with USB charging, but alas it charges no more. Also my cousin's phone USB socket broke too. They're a weak point so seemingly from experience not always a reliable method.
The issue is they're too small and flimsy or have poor soldering to a motherboard.

This is a very valid point IMO. While in-camera charging can be convenient, it's very much a "only if it's absolutely necessary" option for me. It's also a PITA if you want to charge a battery while you're using the camera...

My Pentax & Fuji kit both came with mains chargers. I bought an additional (external) USB charger for both, as I find USB more convenient whilst travelling etc.
My Lumix had no mains charger, the assumption being, I guess, that you charge in-camera through the USB port. I bought an external USB charger for that too.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 14:20
Mike-P wrote:
especially when the body alone costs 1,900000 of them.

Price gone up to 19,000 already?? Must be due to the increasing cost of shipping containers, blockage in Suez canal, post-Brexit tariffs, Covid restrictions and demand from Pentax enthusiasts outstripping supply...

Now a serious question: With an O-ME53 magnifier attached to the K3 and wearing my usual glasses, I can just about see the full image through the viewfinder. What would be the advantage (if any) of the new, bigger viewfinder in the K3III?

Steve

RobL

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 14:24
Whаtѕ іn thе bох?
1 х Реntах К-3 Маrk ІІІ DЅLR Саmеrа
1 х Rесhаrgеаblе-Іоn Ваttеrу D-LІ90B
1 х UЅВ Роwеr Аdарtеr АС-U2
1 х Роwеr Рlug АС-U1
1 х UЅВ Саblе І-UЅВ166
1 х Fіngеr Сар
1 х РЕNТАХ Ѕtrар О-ЅТ162
1 х Еуесuр FU
1 х Ноtѕhое Соvеr FК
1 х Воdу Моunt Сар КІІ
1 х Ѕуnсhrо Теrmіnаl 2Р САР
1 х РЕNТАХ К-1 Тrіаngulаr Rіng
1 х РЕNТАХ К-1 Рrоtесtіvе Соvеr
1 х Ваttеrу Grір Соnnесtоr Соvеr
Last Edited by RobL on 02/04/2021 - 14:25

Mike-P

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 15:31
Ooops.

pschlute

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 21:02
Mike-P wrote:
Ooops.

What is the oops for ?
Peter

My Flickr page

jeallen01

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 21:02
Comments:
- USB charger - bought one (actually two because I mislaid the 1st one!) for use when travelling, and it's very useful!
- Viewfinder issues - I had a few problems with the K-3 K-3 II (etc.) until I changed from bifocals to very well prescribed varifocal lenses in my specs, and, since then, I've had no issues in seeing the full extent of the view through the viewfinder, either with those bodies or the K-70.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

pschlute

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 21:04
Lubbyman wrote:

Now a serious question: With an O-ME53 magnifier attached to the K3 and wearing my usual glasses, I can just about see the full image through the viewfinder.

I never got on with the O-ME53 for the same reason. I cannot see all the viewfinder info at the same time.
Peter

My Flickr page

barkin

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 21:13
RobL wrote:
Whаtѕ іn thе bох?
1 х Реntах К-3 Маrk ІІІ DЅLR Саmеrа
1 х Rесhаrgеаblе-Іоn Ваttеrу D-LІ90B
1 х UЅВ Роwеr Аdарtеr АС-U2
1 х Роwеr Рlug АС-U1
1 х UЅВ Саblе І-UЅВ166
1 х Fіngеr Сар
1 х РЕNТАХ Ѕtrар О-ЅТ162
1 х Еуесuр FU
1 х Ноtѕhое Соvеr FК
1 х Воdу Моunt Сар КІІ
1 х Ѕуnсhrо Теrmіnаl 2Р САР
1 х РЕNТАХ К-1 Тrіаngulаr Rіng
1 х РЕNТАХ К-1 Рrоtесtіvе Соvеr
1 х Ваttеrу Grір Соnnесtоr Соvеr

I don't think any of that caters for charging a battery out-of-camera.

johnriley

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 23:29
The instruction manual is available as a pdf here: https://www.ricoh-imaging.eu/uk_en/mwdownloads/download/link/id/786/ and answers a lot of the questions being asked.
Best regards, John

michaelblue

Link Posted 03/04/2021 - 00:19
A nice review here: [link=http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH3tm8enm7c&ab_channel=MikeMuizebelt/link] I hope the autofocus is as good as he says
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 03/04/2021 - 08:47

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 03/04/2021 - 08:45
JAK wrote:
Jonathan-Mac wrote:

The micro-USB socket broke on a phone of mine a few years back after charging it every day for over a year and a half, and it cost me 30 to fix. I charge my X-T20 roughly once every two to three weeks.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.