Pentax K-3 Mark III now available to pre-order!

RobL

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 10:51
cbrog wrote:
£50 for a hot shoe cover Perhaps I've misread it? An expensive piece of kit like that should have one as standard.

Although the photos donít show one the Wex site lists what is in the box, including a standard hot shoe cover.

AlB

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 13:02
Whilst the lack of GPS is a backward step, IMO, it is not an unsurmountable problem. There are numerous apps that can be used to write the GPS data to your photos.
Provided, of course, you have a mobile phone and provided you take it with you and provided you turn the app on. Provided you can then be bothered to complete the exercise.

Helpful

Mike-P

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 13:09
AlB wrote:
Whilst the lack of GPS is a backward step, IMO, it is not an unsurmountable problem. There are numerous apps that can be used to write the GPS data to your photos.
Provided, of course, you have a mobile phone and provided you take it with you and provided you turn the app on. Provided you can then be bothered to complete the exercise.

I would "Like" this post if I could.

Personally I forget to press the little button on my K-1 to switch on the GPS so I think getting my phone out and searching for an app (never mind getting the 2 pieces of equipment to actually connect) is going to be a step too far.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

HarisF1

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 15:08
Mike-P wrote:

I would "Like" this post if I could.

Done

I've personally never used the GPS feature for the tagging. I've only really used it for Astrotracer. I'm sure definitely in the minority in that regard but I'd like to see the design team's justification for leaving it out.

An "O-GPS2" would be interesting if they can somehow cut costs/size on the original.

Anstonian

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 19:29
pgweber wrote:
Am I missing something, or have Pentax discarded both the in-body flash and the GPS/AstroTracer module?

The K3-ll had discarded the on board flash and included GPS, Astro Tracer built in (great move in my opinion). However it looks like the newcomer has discarded the flash, the GPS and the Astro Tracer.
Andrew Goble

Anstonian

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 19:34
AlB wrote:

So, built in GPS it is then. Excellent feature to have. Mine is turned on all the time. I use Lightroom so it is a real bonus if I have to wait to import my photos and forget exactly where I was on the day I took the shot.
Andrew Goble

pschlute

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 20:16
The rationale behind the new aps-c camera was :

Viewfinder
Physical Size
Sports/action/wildlife.

So it could have had a GPS, but at the expense of something else.

GPS included and the hoards of weight-sensitive users say "why was it so heavy."
Peter

My Flickr page

Flan

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 21:21
not to worried about GPS. I think the real winner in this camera will be the joy stick control of auto focus points , the bright crystal clear view finder and also the super bright rear screen with touch response. at least what i gathered in the hands on video of the k3 iii

AlB

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 21:25
pschlute wrote:
------------------------

GPS included and the hoards of weight-sensitive users say "why was it so heavy."

???
How much does a GPS module weigh? 20grams? 30?

Tyr

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 22:57
I wonder if with BT/WiFI the camera could just link to a phone and obtain GPS data from that? It would be relatively simple to do especially as most phones are checking their location regularly.

I pulled the trigger. No battery grip to keep it compact. Although given the extras it includes, maybe I should have?

PS. PayPal do a pay in 3 instalments with no interest option which I just discovered. Didn't swing my decision as I was saving for this camera anyway.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

pschlute

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 06:58
AlB wrote:
pschlute wrote:
------------------------

???
How much does a GPS module weigh? 20grams? 30?

I guess it depends on the space available for it inside the camera. If the body has to be larger to accommodate it that will add more weight. I honestly don't know.

If the philosophy was to keep size and weight from growing too much, this would explain the lack of GPS and flippy screen. The weight has gone from 785g (K3II) to 820g (K3III). Personally I don't use the GPS on my K1, but I can see that plenty of people do so maybe it was a mistake to leave it out.

The thing I find odd is that you don't get a dedicated mains powered battery charger with the kit ? The supplied USB charger will be handy, especially when wanting to charge in the car, but the battery charger seems an omission to me.
Peter

My Flickr page

pschlute

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 07:17
Tyr wrote:
I wonder if with BT/WiFI the camera could just link to a phone and obtain GPS data from that? It would be relatively simple to do especially as most phones are checking their location regularly.

There is a .pdf on the Ricoh-Pentax website that describes how to connect the camera to a phone through the app.

It appears that once "paired" through bluetooth, you only need to have the camera and phone turned on for the GPS data to be recorded.

A bit like how your car picks up your phone every time you get in it. It is analogous to the demise of the CD player in cars. No need for it when your phone has more music on it than a boot-full of CDs
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 02/04/2021 - 07:24

barkin

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 07:31
pschlute wrote:

The thing I find odd is that you don't get a dedicated mains powered battery charger with the kit ? The supplied USB charger will be handy, especially when wanting to charge in the car, but the battery charger seems an omission to me.

Just the way things are going? I recently bought a Lumix, which was the same.

Personally, I'm fine that. I always buy a charger anyway, so that I have both mains & USB charging options.

Tyr

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 09:22
I have my old K-5 charger. However, traveling USB charging is so much easier. Means I can take one multi-usb adapter for all my devices.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

pgweber

Link Posted 02/04/2021 - 09:51
But all the K7/5/5ii/iis/3/3ii owners have got DLi90s falling out of their drawers that can be charged up before they leave home - won't that demographic be the majority of the market?
Peter

Pentax K5
Pentax DA 18-55 Mk1, 50-200 (Samsung), 16-45, 55-300 Mk1, 35 f/2.4
Pentax MZ6 + FA28-90, FA50 f/1.4, M 50 f/1.7
Tamron 80-210mm & 28mm
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.