Pentax K-3 Mark III now available to pre-order!

Tyr

Link Posted 26/04/2021 - 17:55
Nooooo! I missed a parcel today despatched on the 23rd! I've not ordered anything recently so it can only be one thing. I had no email from SRS confirming despatch though. I did get an email confirming my points though.

Parcel force took it to a "local" post office. Not one nearby but one in a slightly further dodgy area.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/
Last Edited by Tyr on 26/04/2021 - 17:59

pschlute

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 07:13
womble wrote:

I realise now why. Av mode now works with M and K series lenses by stopping down as you take the photo. Obviously, as the camera has no idea what the aperture is, it cannot tell you the shutter speed in advance. This is a great improvement for K and M series lenses with automatic apertures, but less convenient for preset lenses.

Congratulations on your prize.

Do you notice any lag between pressing the shutter and getting the picture as the camera measures the exposure with a K/M lens ?

Is the "use aperture ring" menu item still there ? If so and you do not enable it, is the behaviour different in Av mode ...ie like the older models wide open only (with shutter speed displayed). If so that may be the best thing to use for a preset or Tak lens ?

I presume if you use M mode (with aperture ring enabled), you get the same functionality as with older cameras when using green button with K and M lenses ?
Peter

My Flickr page
Last Edited by pschlute on 27/04/2021 - 07:14

johnha

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 09:20
womble wrote:
I didn't want the premium kit! I have no use for a grip. It was a prize draw, so nothing more than dumb luck.

Hi Kris, you're one of the more enthusiastic members of PF and here, and a huge fan of K glass. I think it's fitting that you won the prize of a camera that makes it easier to use these older lenses.

Well done.
PPG Flickr

Tyr

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 12:35
Picked my K3 iii up from the post office. Holy WOW! I mean the K-5 was (is) a great camera but this thing feels like a whole other level! Only had a chance to set the date and time and take a couple of test shots before abandoning it at home.

The viewfinder is beautiful! The HUD and overlay are a huge improvement over older cameras.

AF is... Seriously limited by my old SDM lenses. Need to get myself some DC and PLM glass. I see lens orders in my future.

I'll do some more testing (playing) later.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/

womble

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 17:20
pschlute wrote:
Do you notice any lag between pressing the shutter and getting the picture as the camera measures the exposure with a K/M lens ?

A very slight one. It is like green button metering but the shutter fires, if that makes sense.

Quote:
Is the "use aperture ring" menu item still there ?

Yes.

Quote:
If so and you do not enable it, is the behaviour different in Av mode ...ie like the older models wide open only (with shutter speed displayed). If so that may be the best thing to use for a preset or Tak lens ?

With older presets in Av mode with "use aperture ring" enabled it works just like before except you don't see the shutter speed, just the word Auto. I haven't tried it with "use aperture ring" disabled to see what happens. I'll have a look next time I am out using it.

Quote:
I presume if you use M mode (with aperture ring enabled), you get the same functionality as with older cameras when using green button with K and M lenses ?

Yes, but the metering is more accurate than I have experienced before. I always found that "green button" metering was OK wide open but got progressively worse as you stopped down. Now it seems fine.

Hope that helps.

For anyone sitting on the fence about the K-3iii, don't. It's great and that is not just because I am a Pentax fan boy. It is an incredibly solid, well built, and well-designed camera. There are a few things I find mildly annoying, but only because muscle memory has me pushing the wrong button occasionally and I'll get over that.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

womble

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 22:25
johnha wrote:
womble wrote:
I didn't want the premium kit! I have no use for a grip. It was a prize draw, so nothing more than dumb luck.

Hi Kris, you're one of the more enthusiastic members of PF and here, and a huge fan of K glass. I think it's fitting that you won the prize of a camera that makes it easier to use these older lenses.

Well done.

Aww thanks. Nice of you to say so.

The only slightly frustrating thing is my ever growing film stash... I just won another five rolls of Tri-X in 120!
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

bladerunneruk

Link Posted 30/04/2021 - 20:30
Nice to hear the positive comments about the K-3iii, I look forward to further posts and opinions.

Surprised to hear there's no mains charger for the battery, seems like a backward step to me having the charging point on the camera.

A few queries...

What happens if the grip is attached, will it charge both batteries from the 1 x USB port ?

There's no pop-up flash, so how can you do fill in flash shooting into the sunset without lugging an external flashgun around? Is HDR really good enough to cope with this on a non-stationary subject ?

I've been keeping an eye on it's arrival, having a K-5 myself which is showing signs of use & age and have been thinking of replacing. My options are used K3i, new K70, used KP, or vaguely a used K1. Hmmm. Not decided yet.

Available budget isn't what it used to be as no longer in the DINKY demographic, and sadly at £1900 it's way too steep for me.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.