Pentax K-3 Mark III now available to pre-order!

womble

Link Posted 31/03/2021 - 16:03
The next big question... silver or black? I wouldn't mind a nice leather strap and an extra battery but I hate grips so the premium edition is not tempting to me. Is the D-LI90 the same battery as the K-3 Mark I?
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Chrism8

Link Posted 31/03/2021 - 16:09
womble wrote:
Is the D-LI90 the same battery as the K-3 Mark I?

Yes, exactly the same
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM

McBrian

Link Posted 31/03/2021 - 16:12
RobL wrote:
If you are a Nikon or Canon user you are going to be under pressure to switch to their mirrorless systems as their DSLR ranges get quietly dropped and the future secondhand values of their lenses look bleak. Given that adapters are only a stopgap this will require buying into a whole new system so having an alternative DSLR system available could appeal to some. If that is to gain traction then an upgraded FF body with the latest focus capabilities has to follow quickly, and not with the same long drawn-out process we have just seen.

I have a Z7 and a bunch of Z lenses already so the question for me is, do I keep the D850 and the F lenses (2 of which don't work with Z7 adaptor) or do I part with them now and run 2 systems from different manufacturers - I'm basically running 2 systems as it is, F & Z.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Last Edited by McBrian on 31/03/2021 - 16:15

Mike-P

Link Posted 31/03/2021 - 16:41
McBrian wrote:
RobL wrote:
If you are a Nikon or Canon user you are going to be under pressure to switch to their mirrorless systems as their DSLR ranges get quietly dropped and the future secondhand values of their lenses look bleak. Given that adapters are only a stopgap this will require buying into a whole new system so having an alternative DSLR system available could appeal to some. If that is to gain traction then an upgraded FF body with the latest focus capabilities has to follow quickly, and not with the same long drawn-out process we have just seen.

I have a Z7 and a bunch of Z lenses already so the question for me is, do I keep the D850 and the F lenses (2 of which don't work with Z7 adaptor) or do I part with them now and run 2 systems from different manufacturers - I'm basically running 2 systems as it is, F & Z.

Personally I would dump the Z system and keep the D850.
. My Flickr

malvern_man

Link Posted 31/03/2021 - 17:36
I've just per-ordered the premium edition in black. I hope it arrives before the start of the 'behind closed doors' stock car racing season which is May 2nd.
My Website

cbrog

Link Posted 31/03/2021 - 17:58
£50 for a hot shoe cover Perhaps I've misread it? An expensive piece of kit like that should have one as standard.

McBrian

Link Posted 31/03/2021 - 19:17
Quote:
Personally I would dump the Z system and keep the D850.

Why?

The EVF is a god send for manual/macro and bad eyesight
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

barkin

Link Posted 31/03/2021 - 20:01
cbrog wrote:
£50 for a hot shoe cover Perhaps I've misread it? An expensive piece of kit like that should have one as standard.

I'd like to think it ships with the usual black plastic one, and for those with money to burn, 50 quid gets a fancy metal one.

Makes 330 quid for the grip seem like a bargain...

pschlute

Link Posted 31/03/2021 - 20:02
cbrog wrote:

You misread it
Peter

My Flickr page

Gwyn

Link Posted 31/03/2021 - 20:21
As predicted with no onboard GPS or seemingly sno support for my existing astrotracer even if I could afford it i wouldn't buy it.
So maybe I am still an idiot, but it doesn't meet my needs.

womble

Link Posted 31/03/2021 - 21:47
The lack of onboard GPS is a pain. I never remember the O-GPS to tag my files.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

ronniemac

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 00:50
womble wrote:
The lack of onboard GPS is a pain. I never remember the O-GPS to tag my files.

Too right Chris, for me it's a fantastic feature on the K-1 and K-3ii and taking it out isn't an upgrade or improvement.

Carrying on with the fixed rear screen was a surprise to me given that every Pentax since the K-3ii has been given an adjustable screen.

Still, I should be happy with what I already have, and how much I will save by not upgrading this time.

Hope it sells well for Ricoh/Pentax - it does look like a well designed camera.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 08:24
pgweber wrote:
Am I missing something, or have Pentax discarded both the in-body flash and the GPS/AstroTracer module?

Nope, no GPS or flash. Maybe they needed the extra space around the prism for the upgraded AF system.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 08:27
womble wrote:
The next big question... silver or black? I wouldn't mind a nice leather strap and an extra battery but I hate grips so the premium edition is not tempting to me. Is the D-LI90 the same battery as the K-3 Mark I?

You're getting one for free anyway and I doubt PF will upgrade you to a premium edition given that the price of this new model has probably taken them a bit by surprise

Perhaps someone who gets the premium edition just for the grip will sell you their leather strap?

Certainly the premium edition in black would be my choice if I had a chance of getting the purchase approved by the ministry of finance.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Last Edited by Jonathan-Mac on 01/04/2021 - 08:30

womble

Link Posted 01/04/2021 - 09:27
Jonathan-Mac wrote:
You're getting one for free anyway and I doubt PF will upgrade you to a premium edition given that the price of this new model has probably taken them a bit by surprise

Perhaps someone who gets the premium edition just for the grip will sell you their leather strap?

Certainly the premium edition in black would be my choice if I had a chance of getting the purchase approved by the ministry of finance.

I wasn't expecting them to! I'm not that greedy. If I'd wanted it, I'd make-up the difference. As it is, I can use my existing batteries and I hate grips. Perhaps I'll use my Pentax 100 strap which is languishing in a box at the moment. I think I'll pass on the fancy hotshoe cover...
Kris Lockyear

My website
Last Edited by womble on 01/04/2021 - 09:28
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.