Pentax K-1 Mark II rumours

pschlute

Link Posted 21/02/2018 - 22:16

Mike-P

Link Posted 21/02/2018 - 22:32
pschlute wrote:
Well Ricoh's American site has an official release https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/index.php/news/70-ricoh-announces-pentax-k-1-mark-i...

plus an upgrade for existing K-1 users https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/index.php/news/68-upgrade-pentax-k1

Now THAT is a good idea
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

pschlute

Link Posted 21/02/2018 - 22:57
Mike-P wrote:
pschlute wrote:
Well Ricoh's American site has an official release https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/index.php/news/70-ricoh-announces-pentax-k-1-mark-i...

plus an upgrade for existing K-1 users https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/index.php/news/68-upgrade-pentax-k1

Now THAT is a good idea

If the improvement in AF-C tracking is confirmed, then an upgrade might just be worth it. I imagine the cost here will be around £500
Peter

My Flickr page

RobL

Link Posted 21/02/2018 - 23:08
Now listed on SRS Microsystems - K1-II is £1799 and K1 is £1999. Same body, just uprated circuit board. Given those prices I wonder the difference between trading in or going the modification route, probably marginal.
Last Edited by RobL on 21/02/2018 - 23:11

edin_togger

Link Posted 21/02/2018 - 23:29
£699 difference to upgrade if trading in the K1 too.
Wonder if at some point we'll see a load of "refub" upgraded K1's?

darkskies

Link Posted 21/02/2018 - 23:37
£1799!

link
This space deliberately left blank.

johnriley

Link Posted 22/02/2018 - 00:15
That's keenly priced!
Best regards, John

richandfleur

Link Posted 22/02/2018 - 04:44
Upgrade sounds cool. Great thing for them to offer.

K10D

Link Posted 22/02/2018 - 06:54
johnriley wrote:
That's keenly priced!

Agreed John. It also ma y be a smart marketing tactic to show how much better value the K-1 II is compared to the D850. The current level of buffer size and AF speed is probably not used in anger nor required by many photographers, so highlighting the much greater cost involved to have a FF high resolution body on the Nikon system.

I'm keen to see real world examples of the improved AF system and read positive feedback. The AF is higher on my list than buffer size.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Bikes etc. link

mille19

Link Posted 22/02/2018 - 07:22
K10D wrote:

I'm keen to see real world examples of the improved AF system and read positive feedback. The AF is higher on my list than buffer size.

I wouldn't get too excited, they said the AF was improved on the K3II but I don't think anyone saw any noticeable difference from the K3.
They haven't changed the AF hardware so it's only a firmware tweak.
Hopefully Pentax will have something better to show regarding AF on the replacement for the K3 that is rumoured for release next year.
www.srmillerphotography.co.uk
My PPG Portfolio

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 22/02/2018 - 10:40
Tempted, even though mine has 1-2000 clicks, the Mk2 can be the camera that I can keep the faith with for many years....
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

cabstar

Link Posted 23/02/2018 - 19:58
Enjoyed reading the gig discussions and Pentax, for me the issue is no longer the ISO capabilities I shot some great sgig tuff on the k-5 mkii.

Whatís holding back the K-1 now is the shutter speed at 4.4fps itís just not fast enough for gig or pro work. Surely camera processing speed has significantly increased since the mki and why have they not upgraded the sad card slots to UHS-2 spec? SanDisk are releasing 275mbs so cads now in UHS2 format it certainly helped make the D850 into a speed machine and wonder why Pentax didnít do the same.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Last Edited by cabstar on 23/02/2018 - 19:58

darkskies

Link Posted 23/02/2018 - 23:32
cabstar wrote:
Enjoyed reading the gig discussions and Pentax, for me the issue is no longer the ISO capabilities I shot some great sgig tuff on the k-5 mkii.

Whatís holding back the K-1 now is the shutter speed at 4.4fps itís just not fast enough for gig or pro work. Surely camera processing speed has significantly increased since the mki and why have they not upgraded the sad card slots to UHS-2 spec? SanDisk are releasing 275mbs so cads now in UHS2 format it certainly helped make the D850 into a speed machine and wonder why Pentax didnít do the same.

I tend to agree that they should have upgraded to UHS2.

Having said that, I do have a comment to make on gig photography. Now, I bet you are not surprised about that!

I don't need a better frames/per sec for gigs. In fact, I only am on medium speed, as I'd end up with thousands of photos to process from each gig, which not only is time consuming and unnecessary, but will make the camera less long lived.

I also don't agree regarding ISO, as I think I've made clear before. You may well have taken some good shots at gigs with a K5, but not all gigs are well lit. And a K5 will not manage low lit gigs. In fact, the K-1 does not manage poorly lit gigs. It's possible to get some decent shots, but you have to be lucky. That's no good if you are a pro, or if you are taking the shots for the band.

If the K-1 MkII has significantly better high ISO performance, as that 1 photo comparison indicates, then it's pretty much a no brainer for me. If it also improves AF, and that really is a problem with the K-1 in low light, then that would be awesome!
This space deliberately left blank.

Mike-P

Link Posted 24/02/2018 - 07:26
darkskies wrote:

I also don't agree regarding ISO, as I think I've made clear before. You may well have taken some good shots at gigs with a K5, but not all gigs are well lit. And a K5 will not manage low lit gigs. In fact, the K-1 does not manage poorly lit gigs. It's possible to get some decent shots, but you have to be lucky. That's no good if you are a pro, or if you are taking the shots for the band.

Ummm, you do know what Cabstar does for a living?
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

cabstar

Link Posted 24/02/2018 - 09:46
Mike-P wrote:
darkskies wrote:

Ummm, you do know what Cabstar does for a living?

I'm probably not so well known on this forum now Mike
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.