Pentax HD DA 55-300 PLM WR RE - Amazing price


malfis

Link Posted 28/10/2016 - 22:30
I have just noticed this - Amazon have it at 249.99 !!

Surely can't last long at this price ?
Lots of gear - but not a lot of idea!
Last Edited by malfis on 28/10/2016 - 22:58

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 29/10/2016 - 15:01
It is an amazing price...second time this week at that price on Amazon. Shows you how inflated the 'normal' price is then doesn't it. It also seems to confirm Ricoh's strategy as being one of selling in bulk through online box shifters rather than through walk-in retail stores.

I've noticed over the past 18 months or so that many 'bricks and mortar' shops that used to sell Pentax photo gear either no longer do or they only get product as a 'special order' with a typical wait of 7-10 days.

If the new trade deal just confirmed between the EU and Canada (negotiated in secret) goes active then US based retailers with presence in Canada will be Fed-Exing gear over the Atlantic at prices below normal UK retail prices threatening even robust retailers like SRS. Before long the only choice you'll have will be which US online retailer you buy from.

JAK

Link Posted 29/10/2016 - 15:05
malfis wrote:
I have just noticed this - Amazon have it at 249.99 !!

Surely can't last long at this price ?

Link doesn't work for me, just goes to the home page.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 29/10/2016 - 15:06

malfis

Link Posted 29/10/2016 - 15:36
JAK wrote:
malfis wrote:
I have just noticed this - Amazon have it at 249.99 !!

Surely can't last long at this price ?

Link doesn't work for me, just goes to the home page.

Sorry, but I didn't try to post a link.
Lots of gear - but not a lot of idea!

JAK

Link Posted 29/10/2016 - 15:58
Is it just me that can see the word amazon in red with a link to their home page? Perhaps I've picked up a redirect virus from them.
I get something similar on the American Pentax forum too with peoples' links redirecting to B&H.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 29/10/2016 - 16:00

malfis

Link Posted 29/10/2016 - 16:00
JAK wrote:
Is it just me that can see the word amazon in red with a link to their home page? Perhaps I've picked up a redirect virus from them.

It's appearing in red (on my iPad), but I made no attempt to post it as a link.
Lots of gear - but not a lot of idea!

JAK

Link Posted 29/10/2016 - 16:04
Perhaps the site's picked up a redirect hack. I noticed one member on the site showing as having been a member for 46 years just now! Is that possible or evidence of hacking?
No site should infer a link in a person's post. Bad form.
I may say I'm going on an Amazon cruise; see: link
The word in red is nothing to do with my (pretend) cruise.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 29/10/2016 - 16:13

Mike-P

Link Posted 29/10/2016 - 16:39
Difficult one for me ... I have it in my Amazon basket but if it will only work on my K-3II and not the K-5IIs then it means I still have to keep my HD version as well.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

malfis

Link Posted 29/10/2016 - 16:41
Mike-P wrote:
Difficult one for me ... I have it in my Amazon basket but if it will only work on my K-3II and not the K-5IIs then it means I still have to keep my HD version as well.

You obviously need to replace the 5iis with a K70!
Lots of gear - but not a lot of idea!

Mike-P

Link Posted 29/10/2016 - 16:52
malfis wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
Difficult one for me ... I have it in my Amazon basket but if it will only work on my K-3II and not the K-5IIs then it means I still have to keep my HD version as well.

You obviously need to replace the 5iis with a K70!

Even the K-3II would go before the K-5IIs ... That camera is going nowhere,
Saved me 50 not buying it anyway.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

JohnX

Link Posted 29/10/2016 - 17:48
Just in case anyone's interested in how this lens performs;
link

theonenadeem

Link Posted 29/10/2016 - 20:31
1stEverPentax wrote:
It is an amazing price...second time this week at that price on Amazon. Shows you how inflated the 'normal' price is then doesn't it. It also seems to confirm Ricoh's strategy as being one of selling in bulk through online box shifters rather than through walk-in retail stores.

I've noticed over the past 18 months or so that many 'bricks and mortar' shops that used to sell Pentax photo gear either no longer do or they only get product as a 'special order' with a typical wait of 7-10 days.

If the new trade deal just confirmed between the EU and Canada (negotiated in secret) goes active then US based retailers with presence in Canada will be Fed-Exing gear over the Atlantic at prices below normal UK retail prices threatening even robust retailers like SRS. Before long the only choice you'll have will be which US online retailer you buy from.

Will this deal apply post Brexit?

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 29/10/2016 - 20:44
I'm not sure of the legal implications once we leave the EU but as our government has indicated it supports this treaty I would expect it to remain in force.

I did read somewhere something about it being quite hard to extricate from once it was fully ratified by each EU government. Apparently until that process has been completed (just a rubber stamping exercise for most governments) parts of the treaty will still be implemented! I'm guessing that bribing the collective EU citizenry by abolishing tariffs on Canadian sourced imported electronics will be a priority.

The treaty has the acronym CETA if anyone is interested and wants to delve further.

vic cross

Link Posted 30/10/2016 - 09:11
Sun 30th. The Canada EU trade deal is off at this point in time. The canadian Rep?. flew home this AM still with no deal.
Latest news report.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
Last Edited by vic cross on 30/10/2016 - 09:11

RobL

Link Posted 30/10/2016 - 14:52
And if it goes wrong? Saving a few quid on this sort of equipment doesn't compare to knowing there is a shop you can walk into.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.