Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax Failures

phillipjclay
Posted 22/09/2021 - 12:44 Link
I just wanted to vent on here. I came to Pentax because everyone said they are good quality. So in the last 6 years I have had auto fucus problems with a K3 and then the same problems with the K3ii replacement. I have had 2 yes 2 16-85mm fail and this last one is the aperture spring failing and when I had a look I was disgusted with the poor design of this. I have sadly had non of this with Canon, sorry yes I had a canon kit lens fail after 14 years of use. Even the Sony I have has been more reliable. I am now stuck with kit that I can`t trade in and if I do I will get peanuts for it.

Has anyone else had this?
Pwynnej
Posted 22/09/2021 - 13:12 Link
You were just unlucky..All my Pentax cameras have been totally reliable - only lens issues I have had are SDM-related.

Just go on other forums and you'll hear about issues with Canikosony
Z-1p, K-1, P50
F50 1.7. SMC-FAs 24, 35, 50 1.4, 85, 135. HD-FA15-30, DFA24-70, D-FA*70-200. The SMC-FA Limited Trinity.
Metz 45 CL-4, AF500FTZ. AF540FGZ.
Some Mamiya and some Nikon
johnriley
Posted 22/09/2021 - 13:57 Link
It's little consolation of course if the problems all happen to ourselves, but generally speaking Pentax Failures are quite low. There will always be failures, as with anything man made.

I don't think I've had any lens problems in the past 50 years and only two camera body repairs.
Best regards, John
phillipjclay
Posted 22/09/2021 - 16:22 Link
I thought it was bad luck then I saw the design on the 16-85mm spring and thought I`ve paid £500 for out of date rubbish design. Anyway its all getting traded and back to Canon and I think. Sadly it hasn`t been fun just expensive
Lubbyman
Posted 22/09/2021 - 16:30 Link
Any pictures of the aperture spring so we can see what you mean?

And who's to say that Canon or other brands don't use the same sort of thing in some of their lenses...?

Wishing you luck with whatever kit you get next.

Steve
HarisF1
Posted 22/09/2021 - 19:28 Link
You won't need a like-for-like replacement. Just get any spring with a similar diameter and length and just turn the ends into loops.
All the gear with no idea
MrB
Posted 22/09/2021 - 20:08 Link
Sorry to read of your problems but it must be just bad luck. A while ago I read somewhere that the failure rate for digital cameras generally is about 5% in the first three years. Mine seem to have been in the 95% - I have been using Pentax cameras (and several lenses) during the past ten years, progressing from the K-r to the K-5 IIs, K-70 and KP, and all are still working faultlessly. I hope you have better luck with whatever you get in future.

Philip

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.