Pentax DA17-70... a little gem

MattMatic

Link Posted 23/11/2015 - 13:55
My poor old DA*16-50 needs another hospital visit (third time I think )... and I saw that SRS had a bunch of DA17-70 second hand lenses in good condition for around the 200 mark, and thought about a lens a tide me over. (I had the DA17-70 originally when it came out, and used it for years - looking back over the images from K7, K5 etc I have taken some of my favourite images with it).

First of all, Chris and the team came up trumps again! Did a P/X on a lens I just wasn't using. Ordered on Friday, delivered this morning first thing. Could hardly tell the difference from a new lens. And I'd forgotten what a little gem this lens is.

Much lighter than the DA*16-50, so it's easier to carry around.
Longer reach, which gives a near-macro at 70mm. Very good for a walk-about lens.
The SDM is a bit noisier than the DA*, but at least it works!!! It's quick and positive enough on the K3 (won't win any speed prizes, but it's quick enough for me!). Much quieter than the DA16-45 screw drive.
Usable from wide open (f/4), and crisply sharp.
Usual excellent Pentax colours.
Lovely bokeh

Took it for a little spin at lunch. Images processed in LR5, a couple with X-Equals Velvia profiles added.

At the current SRS price with 1year warranty it's an absolute no-brainer!!

A few images:

http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

MattMatic

Link Posted 23/11/2015 - 14:00
More images: here @ 1600px

Gwyn

Link Posted 23/11/2015 - 14:52
One of my favourite lenses, though mine is in need of some TLC and a new lens hood right now. Can't seem to find a lens hood for it anywhere, at least not at a sensible price. If I had the money I might just go for another one.

Lovely photos. Enjoy you lens.

alfpics

Link Posted 23/11/2015 - 17:52
Yep - a great lens - I have taken most of my pictures with it; it was just a shame they didn't make it WR or * to make it a real all weather walk-about lens!
Andy

malfis

Link Posted 23/11/2015 - 19:55
Another vote from me for the 17-70.
Coincidentally this afternoon I spent a couple of hours in Aperture looking at images from the last couple of years - I'd forgotten how good this lens is.
Mine had a SDM replacement and service at Johnsons 18 months or so ago - it is really excellent.
Beautiful sharp images with great contrast and colour.
Lots of gear - but not a lot of idea!

Stridey

Link Posted 23/11/2015 - 20:14
My vote as well. I got a s/h one from LCE about 2 years ago - a superb lens that I use most of the time.
Best regards
Nigel

www.nigelstridephotography.co.uk

McBrian

Link Posted 24/11/2015 - 15:52
I have the same problem Matt, I love my 16-50 but It is just too unreliable to be the mainstay even after a recent visit to the repair shop.

I was on the verge of getting a DA17-70 again but I plumbed for a the HDA16-85 when SRS had it on offer, pretty happy with it, maybe the DA17-70 has a slight edge but it's a close call (for my eyes anyway .

Maybe of interestto some and as I won't sell the DA16-50 as it is I came across an updated version of PKTether (PKTether3) that supports the K3 (not the K3II though), it has the degbug mode so maybe I will turn the DA16-50 in to a screw drive lens and see how it performs with the more powerfull K3 motor.

And another obersevation if your DA16-50 focus is dead, Live View seem to consistenly bring it back to life if you keep your finger on the rear AF button (assuming you have rear button focusing activated).
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.

MattMatic

Link Posted 24/11/2015 - 17:24
Thanks for the tips Brian

Mine seems to have a clutch/SDM fault. When it gets stuck, moving the focus ring doesn't move the focus - or it moves a bit then stops - almost as though the clutch is always slipping.
I did look at screw drive on the 16-50 (possible and quick with son's K7), but it's a noisy beast on screw drive focus!
Using the AF button eventually gets it back, by manually focussing, then AF button, then manual focus, then AF button. Once working it stays ok for a week or two... but stops if I don't use it!

The HDA16-85 does look a very nice range and spec. But the price was just too high, especially as I'll need to shell out to fix the DA*16-50 The DA17-70 is a good all-rounder for hardly any money at all!

Matt
Last Edited by MattMatic on 24/11/2015 - 17:25

SteveF

Link Posted 26/11/2015 - 05:12
One of my most used lenses too. I bought mine from a forum member several three or four years ago. No regrets. My basic walk round kit is my K5 with this and the 50-135.

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 26/11/2015 - 06:36
These results look good.

Gwyn wrote:
One of my favourite lenses, though mine is in need of some TLC and a new lens hood right now. Can't seem to find a lens hood for it anywhere, at least not at a sensible price. If I had the money I might just go for another one.

Lovely photos. Enjoy you lens.

Try here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pentax-PH-RBM67-Lens-Hood-For-SMCP-DA-17-70mm-f-4-AL-I...
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

Gwyn

Link Posted 26/11/2015 - 08:39
Thanks Jonathan-Mac. I have been pointed to that a couple of times now, but the postage is silly to send to the Netherlands. I shall probably wait until next spring when I am hoping to visit the UK, and I can have it delivered to a relative for me to collect.

bforbes

Link Posted 26/11/2015 - 19:41
Mine was a pain in the backside, Failed SDM, Failed Zoom Ring, Not able to fosus in low light.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
Last Edited by bforbes on 26/11/2015 - 19:43

Mike-P

Link Posted 26/11/2015 - 20:25
Gwyn wrote:
Thanks Jonathan-Mac. I have been pointed to that a couple of times now, but the postage is silly to send to the Netherlands. I shall probably wait until next spring when I am hoping to visit the UK, and I can have it delivered to a relative for me to collect.

Happy to buy and send it on via normal air mail Gwyn ? (about 5 I would guess)
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Gwyn

Link Posted 26/11/2015 - 21:20
Thanks Mike, no panic for it really. I haven't done much photography lately, and can't see me having much time for any in the coming few months. Lost my mojo somewhat, plus I am trying to clear 30 years of junk out so we can sell the house.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.