Pentax DA 12-35mm WR DC

stevejcoe

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 14:28
I would hope that someone within Pentax is engaged in an ongoing market research project, which is being used to drive lens development. I have registered all my lenses via the Pentax UK website, but I cannot recall one questionairre sent by them asking for opinion. I also cannot recall seeing many if any forum posts for a 12-35mm, so it would be interesting to know what drove that decision. That said I am sure it will appeal to some.

Photography for most is a hobby and it carries with it an aspirational element. As with all hobbies we set aside a percentage of our disposable income on feeding it. I agree with George that not many need a 500 or 600mm lens, but that does mean that they would not sell if they were available at a reasonable price. LBA leads to irrational behaviour and we have to feed the hobby right?

Quote:
So I wouldn't buy a 600mm if it cost more than 50 quid. I just wouldn't use it enough to justify the outlay. The market for such a lens is tiny, whatever the price, and as Robin says, those who NEED a 600mm should switch to Canon.

However, I wonder whether Pentax shouldn't be brave and make and sell a 500mm for say 600.00, as a loss-leader to keep people like Oggy on board.

If they were to sell it in a T-mount configuration, they might sell rather a lot, and actually make a profit.

It would be interesting to know how many 500mm lenses Pentax would need to sell at 600 to cover development,manufacture and distribution costs, plus profit.

Perhaps a new/old distribution model is called for, whereby orders/deposits are taken for the more exotic lenses and only when the economic number has been ordered would they be manufactured on a batch basis and distributed direct by Pentax.

Risk to Pentax is reduced and should not be that high if they have done their market research. Reputation is enhanced as they can be seen to be offering a more complete system.

Obvious advantage to users is access to more exotic lenses at affordable prices.

Regards - Steve

johnriley

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 14:46
Quote:
orders/deposits are taken for the more exotic lenses and only when the economic number has been ordered would they be manufactured on a batch basis and distributed direct by Pentax.

Unfortunately this could be quite unreliable. Quite often people will say they want something, but when it comes to the crunch they will put it off.
Best regards, John

George Lazarette

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 15:02
Cash up front, and no going back, would be the answer.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Fletcher8

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 15:16
Just a thought!

After reading through the posts I have concluded that the one good things is that Pentax are starting to make some new lenses and updating / improving others. The cost of R&D also needs to be taken into account with Pentax having a smaller market share in terms of Photographic equipment sales.

Someone mentioned the AFA x1.7, which is unfortunately prohibited in Europe / USA in relation to importation, does anyone know why?

Final thought, just think of all the Pentax lenses which are backwards compatible. How many other brands can offer that?
Fletcher8.

Oggy

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 15:33
Looking at this from the other viewpoint, Pentax are building up such a concentration of short/wide lenses that their lenses will be competing with each other.

stevejcoe

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 15:57
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
orders/deposits are taken for the more exotic lenses and only when the economic number has been ordered would they be manufactured on a batch basis and distributed direct by Pentax.

Unfortunately this could be quite unreliable. Quite often people will say they want something, but when it comes to the crunch they will put it off.

George Lazarette wrote:
Cash up front, and no going back, would be the answer.

G

Exactly, minimise risk and exposure

Fletcher8 wrote:
Just a thought!

After reading through the posts I have concluded that the one good things is that Pentax are starting to make some new lenses and updating / improving others. The cost of R&D also needs to be taken into account with Pentax having a smaller market share in terms of Photographic equipment sales.

That is why good market research is essential, listen to the users, do not design lenses as technical exercises.

Fletcher8 wrote:
Someone mentioned the AFA x1.7, which is unfortunately prohibited in Europe / USA in relation to importation, does anyone know why?

Not sure about the AFA 1.7 , but certainly the original FA 43 contained more lead in the glass.

Fletcher8 wrote:
Final thought, just think of all the Pentax lenses which are backwards compatible. How many other brands can offer that?

That is fine up to a point. Certainly when there were no new lenses around, the availability of 'old glass' was a major selling point, however we have been told that the capabilities of the latest cameras exceed the capabilities of many older lenses, in fact I recall reading a comment by Ned Bunnell stating that the FA limiteds were borderline in this respect.

We should also remember that from a manufacturers point of view the availability of so many old lenses is actually a curse and does not help them sell new lenses. The biggest winner on this score is eBay, as lenses are bought and sold on a regular basis.

Don't get me wrong I love the old lenses and use them regularly, but I repeat from where Pentax are now I don't think that they are helping.

I advocated a while ago an exchange/upgrade program, if anyone at Pentax is reading this I repeat it now. I would start by offering the DA 35 F2.4 for 100 plus any old K M or A 28mm, 35mm or 50mm lens.

Regards - Steve

johnriley

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 16:15
Quote:
I would start by offering the DA 35 F2.4 for 100 plus any old K M or A 28mm, 35mm or 50mm lens.

To be honest, that would result is wholesale destruction of hundreds or thousands of fine lenses and I would regard that as pure vandalism. The only reason to do that would be to remove the lenses from the supply chain, thus taking away one of the major benefits of backwards compatibility.
Best regards, John

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 16:26
The thought of a Pentax lens scrappage scheme makes me feel physically sick!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

helios

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 16:57
Many of us would like longer lenses but three factors put us off - size, weight and cost. Pentax have shown that it is possible to build a long zoom with good performance and light weight at a reasonable price - the DA 55-300.

I have a DA*300mm which is a lovely lens but because of the weight and size I take it with me only on occasions I expect to find it useful. I have since bought a DAL 55-300 simply because it is compact and light enough to keep in my bag.

Would there be a market for a longer- say 400mm - zoom or prime built along the lines of the DA 55-300 that could be produced sufficiently inexpensively to attract enough buyers to make the project viable?
Archie

stevejcoe

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 17:19
Not a budget lens, but I believe that a DA*135-400 F4 would be a good addition.

Regards Steve
Last Edited by stevejcoe on 21/12/2010 - 17:21

Algernon

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 17:45
There's a Pentax 1000mm F11 Reflex Lens on ebay for 950 BIN in HK if you want a long lens.

Now lets see one of the people complaining about the shortage of long lenses actually go and buy it!
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

johnriley

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 17:47
Looks good Algi, and, being a mirror lens, relatively compact as well.
Best regards, John

RichardDay

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 18:00
Pentaxophile wrote:
The thought of a Pentax lens scrappage scheme makes me feel physically sick!

To be run jointly by Nikon & Canon!
Best regards
Richard Day

Profile - link - (click on About for equipment profile) - My Flickr site - link

edumad

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 18:24
Forget about really expensive primes that onlypros and a very phew amateurs can afford, what about having something like the big Sigmas, Canon's 100-400, or Tokina's 80-400mm. Prosumer longer teles.

I'm hopefull that Pentax had not done this because it has not arranged a deal with third party manufactureurs and is unwilling to go ahead with its own work until enough consumer base is there. Hopefully with the new cameras it will appear.
However even if this is so, there is already plenty of wides out there in the same range of price of these potential teles, no? And why so many. Are Pentaxians so skewed towards wide, I had no idea.
TWAPSI Blog

johnriley

Link Posted 21/12/2010 - 18:39
There are some great wide angles and moderate telephoto lenses. We picked up an adequate Tokina 80-400mm, compact but heavy, and something like that as a quality Pentax lens might be nice.

Of course it's often the case that for some wildlife almost no lens is long enough. One of the best Kingfisher shooters on EPZ uses a 100mm lens though. I can only assume he is very close to the birds in a suitable hide, probably standing in deep water as well.

Longer lens by all means, but we need to get closer as well.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.