Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax and Hoya

alchemist
Posted 24/12/2006 - 03:15 Link
Now that Pentax and Hoya have announced their intention to merge, what will Hoya really bring to the party? The announcement was a little vague when it came to future of consumer/professional digital imaging & film photography products.

Does anyone have additional information.

Merry Christmas Y'all from Texas

Alchemist
Joshua Hakin
Posted 24/12/2006 - 05:11 Link
Well, it does say this "In order to maintain growth capabilities, cost competitiveness must be strengthened by lowering production costs and focusing on unique, high-end products. Measured structural change is necessary to ensure differentiation in this environment."
"Imaging systems area: Continuing PENTAX’s imaging systems division"

Whatever that means.
johnriley
Posted 24/12/2006 - 10:16 Link
It's wonderfully vague in a specific sort of way, saying all but saying nothing. I think it means they want to make better profits.

Best regards, John
Arthur Dent
Posted 25/12/2006 - 02:22 Link
They're both OPTICAL companies. They each are strong in areas where the other is weak (have you ever seen a Hoya lens or camera? Ever seen a Hoya endoscope? Ever seen a Pentax blank for a hard drive?)
42 Comment Image
johnriley
Posted 25/12/2006 - 08:30 Link
You're making a fair point, Arthur Dent, but I have to say that yes, I have seen Hoya lenses. They were around in the 1970s, moderately good quality and not a lasting phenomenon. It was an economy range.
Best regards, John
Gwyn
Posted 25/12/2006 - 08:42 Link
Don't Hoya make Tokina lenses? And a lot of Canon lenses are made by Hoya too I believe.
Mongoose
Posted 25/12/2006 - 12:45 Link
yes, Hoya own Tokina or possibly the other way around. Pentax and Tokina have been cooperating on lenses recently so this comes as no real surprise to me.
Arthur Dent
Posted 27/12/2006 - 14:14 Link
johnriley wrote:
I have to say that yes, I have seen Hoya lenses. They were around in the 1970s, moderately good quality and not a lasting phenomenon.

Thanks for the information, John, I never saw them (I've been into it since the 1960's).

But I suppose that reinforces the point; the two companies compliment each other.
42 Comment Image
Arthur Dent
Posted 27/12/2006 - 14:27 Link
Double post. OOPS!
42 Comment Image
Kimbo
Posted 27/12/2006 - 14:29 Link
I once had a Hoya 35-70mm one-touch zoom in PK mount that I used on my ME Super, wasn't a bad little lens at all!
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
wasleys
Posted 27/12/2006 - 23:26 Link
I have a Hoya 80-200 in M42 which is great. Daughter has a 28, good lens except for a palish spot which disappears at wider apertures.

Michael

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.