Pentax Ambassador Short Film

Algernon

Link Posted 12/02/2019 - 10:36
It's a pity that this thread has been taken off topic with the usual mirrorless garbage.

Just a small point I'd like to make is that looking through the viewfinder of a DSLR you see a FULL SIZE IMAGE of the subject. Using the screen you see something like a 3 inch image which is great if you always blow your prints up to ERR!! ..... 3 inches You won't spot any small eyesores on a small screen either.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 12/02/2019 - 10:37

McGregNi

Link Posted 12/02/2019 - 17:05
The practical workflow aspects here are worth exploring.... The landscape photographer will have to be mindful of battery drain when choosing to run Live View extensively. Certainly it's a risk, and might rule out a live view only approach throughout extended landscape sessions.

Personally I like to use both LV and VF during tripod sessions. I prefer to frame up and position the camera and the zoom setting (if a zoom lens) through the viewfinder. Once the scene is set exactly then that's locked down with the tripod levers. Then I switch into LV and perform manual focusing using the zoom in (info button) feature to target some clear object that is an approximate hyperfocal distance away....(this is likely to be impossible to see accurately through the viewfinder, especially at 14mm!).

After this object is focused perfectly I come out of LV, and then use Mirror up with remote control to take the exposures, usually multiple shots and often with a varying exposure time for some different exposure levels, all done manually.

I find that this three step approach nicely separates the framing, focusing and capture processes and helps to keep the whole workflow methodical and carefully paced.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

JAK

Link Posted 12/02/2019 - 17:46
I find cameras without a viewfinder very hit and miss to see anything meaningful on the live view screen, and the brighter the sun the more the problem. If the camera hasn't got a viewfinder I normally point and hope for the best! Not really an ideal methodology.
John K
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.