Get 10% Off Eversure Camera Insurance Today!

Pentax Ambassador Short Film


thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 09/02/2019 - 13:42
Thanks all for general positivity re this... really enjoyed it actually, and working with Matty was great fun...

Rick and David: yes, Northumberland is wonderful... I'm biased I know, but the coastline is and always has been pretty amazing... David, am sure you'll have a top time there... so much to see, both at the coast, but also inland (Rothbury, Alnwick, Cheviots etc.)

Mike: sorry... think Rich has covered this, but just in case, try this link to go to YouTube direct

Algi: interesting point you make re sensor cleaning on mirrorless... not something I'd come across or thought about before...

Stu: glad you like the wellies... re the cost effective thing, yes, fair point you make re the 15-30 (although I've said on here before I've been very lucky to have been given mine by Pentax, the 24-70 too)... worth remembering the launch price of the K1 though (£1600ish from what I remember, substantially less than any direct competitor)... I also talked a fair bit (but which didn't make the final cut unfortunately, not everything can) about the Kmount and being able to use 40 years of quality and comparatively inexpensive glass... the travel kit I put together for the K1, for instance, includes the FA20, FA24-90, and the FAJ 75-300 (which I use in the film), which cost me in total around £500... pretty good going by any standards...

Thanks again all...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Facebook

stub

Link Posted 09/02/2019 - 23:03
The cost of the lenses wasnt quite the point I was trying to make Bill. But I dont want to make it seem like im always ranting on.. Because I love my Pentax gear. And own the 15-30 and 24-70 too.. Though I wasnt fortunate enough to be given mine...lol But hey if your in the right place n all that.. The point was when you were using your 150 x 100 filters they were attached to the 24-70. Because as we all know they dont fit the 15-30. So to use filters with the "Landscape" lens you have to purchase expensive extra's.. Which you dont mention. Yes you also have to do that with other brands of wide angle angle lenses.. But I may not be as wealthy as some but wouldn't describe it as cost efficient.. Great lens that produces great images. Yes.. The FA and FAJ lenses you refer to are indeed superb lenses.. But the very lenses that Pentax outlawed at the released point of the K1. As they didn't carry the correct digital coatings and wouldn't do the K1 full justice. But we do use them because they carry the K mount and return a good image. So they are cost effective.. But I think mostly impossible to find on sale from new anymore in the UK.. except for three FA primes. Pentax easing their stance as they have failed to bring more new product to market.. But one issue is that they arnt "WR" Making the K1 not WR. So that kind of dismisses your early point to the camera in the film. As WR being a good selling point. In fact the next lens release by Pentax for the K1 is going to be a non WR lens..
Sounds like im ranting on again. Which I guess I am a bit,, I love my K1's would never swap.. (still waiting for 85mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.4 though) Yes they are a cheaper camera purchase because in my opinion we as users make do.. The K1 is a "halfway house" camera. Fabulous if your a landscaper. Less to offer than the opposition in other areas.. Not saying it's a poor camera. Before everyone rips into me..
So when all said Love the brand. Love the equipment but lets start to tell the truth..

But when all said your video does promote Pentax as a brand. in the marketplace and I welcome that. Anything that encourages it to the wider market has got to be a good thing. Thanks Bill..
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

pschlute

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 00:04
stub wrote:
The point was when you were using your 150 x 100 filters they were attached to the 24-70. Because as we all know they dont fit the 15-30. So to use filters with the "Landscape" lens you have to purchase expensive extra's.. Which you dont mention. Yes you also have to do that with other brands of wide angle angle lenses..

To use 150*100 filters with the 15-30 you need to buy a lens-specific adapter ring for it. Costs about £100. You would have to do the same for most UWA lenses whatever the brand of lens you buy or camera you own.

You do sound as if you are always ranting on, yes.
Peter



My Flickr page

stub

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 00:16
I did say that !!

Plus you need a 150mm square filter to get the full view from the 15-30mm
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Last Edited by stub on 10/02/2019 - 00:19

pschlute

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 03:19
stub wrote:
I did say that !!

Plus you need a 150mm square filter to get the full view from the 15-30mm

....and you can use the 150mm filter system on all your lenses not just the wide angle ones. i really don't see the point of your complaint. if you don't want to buy a filter system for your camera then don't.
Peter



My Flickr page

stub

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 08:09
Because it wasnt a complaint..! Just a comment that it was an added expense not pointed out. On what was refered to as an economic system.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

RobL

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 08:39
Stub, looking at this another way you could probably buy the filter system for the difference in cost between a Pentax and the equivalent camera from another, but I think we are getting distracted from the point of this thread, which is Billís excellent work.

Algernon

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 09:06
Stub reminds me of a man from a John Lennon book who after being miraculously cured from being deaf and dumb.... moaned about what hell he was now supposed to do with his deaf and dumb books


--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 10/02/2019 - 09:17

K10D

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 09:10
davidstorm wrote:
You have made me want to travel up to Northumberland, I have a couple of weeks off work in late Feb, so I might just take a few days out to go there.

Regards
David

You'll not regret it David.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link
Last Edited by K10D on 10/02/2019 - 09:11

RobL

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 09:22
K10D wrote:
davidstorm wrote:
You have made me want to travel up to Northumberland, I have a couple of weeks off work in late Feb, so I might just take a few days out to go there.

Regards
David

You'll not regret it David.

Best regards

I can recommend the Victoria Hotel in Bamburgh.

richandfleur

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 20:18
Quick question for Bill, do you use the optical viewfinder much?

Just dawned on me recently that I'd be interested in a Pentax mirrorless camera, if it meant I could get the likes of a FF K-1 for a bit cheaper (granted the K-1 is already cheap). For landscape and portrait shots (pretty much anything on a tripod) I use the rear screen live view almost exclusively, and usually manual focus via digital zoom/focus peaking. I'd love to pick up some of the mirrorless tricks like eye AF for portrait sessions.

I was wondering how a lighter mirrorless camera with less moving parts would appeal to landscape photographers. Would of course need to maintain all the WR elements you mentioned in your video, but it feels like landscape as a subject would use live view more than the viewfinder? Interested to get an experts take on this.

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 20:55
Thanks again all...

Rob, yup, the Victoria is a bit of a Bamburgh institution... very nice indeed...

Stu, thanks for your thoughts, I do see where you're coming from... but... over the 20 years that I've been using Pentax, as a brand in its totality (ie APSC as well as Full Frame, second hand lenses, which is what I usually buy, as well as new ones) I do genuinely think (and it's just my opinion) that bang for buck, they're pretty much the most cost effective out there... every Pentax DSLR I've owned (K20D, K5, K3 and K1) has outspecced the competition at its price point (WR, Magnesium alloy body, in camera shake reduction)... and the joy of the K mount is 40 years of quality glass, a lot of which many of us use (I certainly do), regularly, not just on the K1 but across the range... I absolutely take your point re straight cost of some of the new Full Frame lenses, in particular the 15-30, and to a lesser extent the 24-70, and the additional cost of filters/accessories etc... these, though, are professional grade lenses, the highest of the high end, which are absolutely stellar in their performance... we make the choice to go that route if we want to... at a brand level, across the whole range, I do think that pound for pound they're pretty hard to beat... as I say, just my opinion...

Rich, interesting question re the Optical View Finder... I'm a bit old fashioned, in that I really like it, and use it a lot... one of the reasons, funnily enough, why I've personally never been tempted down the mirrorless route... it's a bit of a touchy feely thing for me, I like to feel connected to where I am... not that I don't use LiveView (in fact I've found myself using it quite a bit recently, and have found the tilting screen particularly useful)... but will always use the viewfinder where possible to compose in the first instance... I also tend to find I get a better sense of balance from the viewfinder, a clearer idea of what's in the corners etc... but that might just be me... I've met plenty of people who've gone the mirrorless route for landscapes and are evangelical about it, love the smaller gear etc... each to their own I guess...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Facebook

richandfleur

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 21:49
thingsthatihaveseen wrote:
bang for buck, they're pretty much the most cost effective out there... every Pentax DSLR I've owned (K20D, K5, K3 and K1) has outspecced the competition at its price point (WR, Magnesium alloy body, in camera shake reduction)...

Fully agree. When I first moved into digital bodies it was to share the film lenses Fleur had, and I suspect Pentax gained a lot of it's initial digital customer base via that transition option. Later on when I was considering an upgrade to the K-100d I gave the market a serious look and nothing came close to what the K-30 could offer. The offerings from the competition at that stage were incredibly fragile plasticy things. The K-30 didn't have a magnesium body, but everything about it felt a lot tighter and more solid (it did have WR after all). I do hope that when I next look to upgrade that Pentax is able to provide that same sort of value proposition/placement again.


thingsthatihaveseen wrote:

Rich, interesting question re the Optical View Finder... I'm a bit old fashioned, in that I really like it, and use it a lot... one of the reasons, funnily enough, why I've personally never been tempted down the mirrorless route... it's a bit of a touchy feely thing for me, I like to feel connected to where I am... not that I don't use LiveView (in fact I've found myself using it quite a bit recently, and have found the tilting screen particularly useful)... but will always use the viewfinder where possible to compose in the first instance... I also tend to find I get a better sense of balance from the viewfinder, a clearer idea of what's in the corners etc... but that might just be me... I've met plenty of people who've gone the mirrorless route for landscapes and are evangelical about it, love the smaller gear etc... each to their own I guess...

Thanks for this, it's good to get that feedback. I too much prefer the optical viewfinder but (as I mentioned above) have noticed recently how often I frame landscape shots via the rear liveview screen. Anything that requires manual focus is typically via the rear screen for me, as I don't find the accuracy I want in the APS-C sized optical viewfinder.

It's interesting what aspects make one feel connected to the image capture process, and there's certainly a tactile 'touchy feely' aspect to it for sure. I'm finding I get the same feeling when focusing manually via digital zoom/focus peaking on the rear screen, which gives me the control I want to be able to precisely locate the focus point. Framing the shot though may be something better done via the viewfinder.

If the subject matter turned to portraiture though, especially seated/static then I'd be happy to let the device handle that if it had solid eye AF. I'd then switch to composition/framing and external lighting control. Landscapes however are a lot harder for a computer to try and guess where you want the focus to be. All good content to discus. Again, nice video and well done.

johnriley

Link Posted 10/02/2019 - 22:36
Nicely shot and some really good sense in that. Great images as well.
Best regards, John

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 12/02/2019 - 10:10
Thanks both... much appreciated...

Rich... re viewfinder... yes, interesting to hear your thoughts re using liveview for manual lenses/focus peaking... makes perfect sense... reminds me I could use that more myself... I remember David Storm talking about using the K 01 with manual lenses for precisely that reason... also useful to hear your thoughts re the "touchy feely" use of the screen, and how you connect to an image... good stuff...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.