Pentax 645 at Vintage Vehicle Rally

hefty1

Link Posted 24/05/2010 - 20:48
I only bought this camera just over a week ago and these are from the first roll of film I've had back since (taken Sunday 16th May). Subsequently I've run two more rolls through it but I haven't had them back yet.

Anyway, I did say I'd post some of the results and here they are! They were scanned (by me) on an Epson V600 and presented here without any PP other than re-sizing for web, a little cropping on two of them and the addition of a white border to set them off.

The film used was Fuji Reala 100 (my favourite colour film) and the lens was the A75/2.8 (as it's the only one I have right now). I can't remember the shot-by-shot settings but I spent most of the day around the f/4 -> f/11 area.

1) Slight crop from the bottom on this one to lose the number plate:

2) Originally shot portrait, cropped square to remove featureless grass/sky:

3) Full image. Crop appeared tighter in viewfinder though:

4) Again, full size image as shot:

Initial impressions are that the camera performed very well! All 15 shots were perfectly useable and, despite deliberately going down to 1/15sec for some of them, there was no evidence of camera shake anywhere. All that weight counts for something then...

C&C always welcome!
Joining the Q

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 24/05/2010 - 21:26
It must be lovely to use and, of course, you could enlarge them many fold.

Seeing them of a computer screen is all very well, but I'm trying to imagine them at A2!!
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

hefty1

Link Posted 24/05/2010 - 22:02
I haven't had any big prints made yet, but it's early days - first I need to take a photo that I actually *want* blown up to that sort of size...

In the meantime they look pretty good at A4, but not really any better than the K10D could do at a similar size.
Joining the Q

gartmore

Link Posted 24/05/2010 - 23:14
I'm utterly mystified about this current trend about losing number plates, please enlighten me.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

fatspider

Link Posted 24/05/2010 - 23:23
Quote:
Pentax 645 at Vintage Vehicle Rally

Oh Yes, superb design, sleek lines, good handling.......
I am of course talking about the MK1 Cortina and not the 645
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

hefty1

Link Posted 25/05/2010 - 00:18
gartmore wrote:
I'm utterly mystified about this current trend about losing number plates, please enlighten me.

In this case it was for purely aesthetic reasons - it was a private plate with modern numerals on a white background and looked plain wrong in context with the car; if it'd been a black plate with white numerals I'd have probably left it on. I'm not given to blanking number plates as a general rule.

fatspider wrote:
Oh Yes, superb design, sleek lines, good handling.......
I am of course talking about the MK1 Cortina and not the 645

I'd have gladly swapped my entire camera collection for that particularly gorgeous little motor.
Joining the Q

i-Berg

Link Posted 25/05/2010 - 08:57
This all makes the 645D pretty attractive then Hefty.
http://www.pbase.com/iberg

hefty1

Link Posted 25/05/2010 - 09:19
Attractive yes, affordable no...

I guess I'll just have to wait until the 645D MkIII comes out and the market's flooded with used 645D's
Joining the Q

i-Berg

Link Posted 25/05/2010 - 09:22
And in any case, you've done a great job with your film 645 on these cars Hefty - well done IMO. I also rather like the Cortina FWIW, very nice.
Last Edited by i-Berg on 25/05/2010 - 09:39

hefty1

Link Posted 25/05/2010 - 09:25
Thank you

The MkI Lotus Cortina was one of the first cars I lusted over as a kid so I spent a lot of time looking at this one through a lens on the day.
Joining the Q

hefty1

Link Posted 25/05/2010 - 09:41
You don't want an Alpine, you want a Tiger! That lovely body shape *and* a V8 under the bonnet - gorgeous
Joining the Q

i-Berg

Link Posted 25/05/2010 - 09:43
hefty1 wrote:
Thank you

The MkI Lotus Cortina was one of the first cars I lusted over as a kid so I spent a lot of time looking at this one through a lens on the day.

And ditto - I had to settle for a 1963 Holden. Mind you, it took me from Melbourne to Perth and back without a murmur, and then some.

That was in the days when the road across the Nullarbor Plain was not sealed. You knew where the bull-dust holes in the road were, because of the bonnets sticking out of them - I kid you not. Wish I had have had a camera in those days...
Last Edited by i-Berg on 25/05/2010 - 09:44

gartmore

Link Posted 25/05/2010 - 11:40
I once fondly imagined I could restore a Triumph Spitfire, spent an utter fortune on it with new engine and gearbox and just about everything else but I could never win the battle with the rust. I could probably have bought a Mazda MX5 with the money I spent, I ended up giving it away!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

mph555l

Link Posted 25/05/2010 - 13:15
Last summer I went around Stockholm doing some touristy things. I noticed pretty much everyone else with a DSLR camera was either a Canon or Nikon user. Then I went to classic car show and I spotted lots of fellow swedish Pentax users. Would I be right in assuming the average Pentaxian is also a classic car enthusiast ?

I like the last shot of the Jag best.

Cheers,

/Ian
K10D & Super A user.

hefty1

Link Posted 25/05/2010 - 13:56
Actually most of the DSLR's were Canon and Nikon although I spotted quite a few Oly/Panasonic 4/3's bodies this time out too. But I did spot one other Pentax DSLR, a Pentax K1000 and an ME Super in use - perhaps it's classic Pentax users that also favour classic cars?
Joining the Q
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.