Pentax 250-600mm Big Glass

Algernon

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 16:50
Looks very good optically and the main outer damage seems to be where some tape has come off and one of the strap supports. Probably worth at least £4k with perfect mechanicals.

The reason the FA is heavier is that it's a power zoom.

Here's one that sold on the other forum.

Some photos with it on this forum.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 18/12/2010 - 16:59

lidy

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 17:23
Sam, FWIW, I can vouch for Frederik. I have known him for quite some time and have had previous dealings with him. He's a reputable buyer who pays promptly and will not disappoint you. And his excitement really comes across, because when shouting 'SOLD' he shows really serious interest in buying.
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships. - Ansel Adams -

samfilce

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 17:33
Thanks for the info Lidy. I have to go out for a couple of hours, but I will be online again tonight!

frederik9111

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 18:32
£ 4K is too much. "Asahiflex" know at the international and Dutch Pentaxian-forum bought his MINT (and indeed really MINT) copy only 2 weeks ago, including the genuine flight case, correct tripod mount, original paper work and invoice from 1991, all the color filters,... for +/- € 2700 (the buy also included an expensive tripod) or £ 2300. (I'ld be happy to provide his coordinates if needed).

Based on his price, the obvious wear and tear on this copy, both the missing golden F*250-600 tags (so not just some missing tape, Alergnon), the missing flightcase, the expensive and extremely hard to find color filters, the non-confirmed AF-issue,... I've made a proper and honest bid (although with some flexibility).

At this moment I work with a A*600/5.6, but would like to switch to AF. I just missed a possible acquisition of the later FA*-power-zoom-version last week (Japanese webshop, $5000, truly mint, never used).

Don't forget there was a DA*SuperTele on the last Pentax roadmap, as well

@ Lidy: Thx
Imagine...
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 20/12/2010 - 19:10

Algernon

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 19:14
I'm not involved in this sale, samfilce came here for advice and
some indication of value and until he supplied all the photos it
wasn't possible to give that indication. I gave what I thought it
was worth obviously only an auction will give the correct figure.

One did sell for $6500 last year which was $1500 below what the
seller paid for it link (Edit: same as given in previous post).

Marc (also member of this forum) mentioned that he knew of one
for $6600 in Japan about a month ago in this thread link

Smeggy gave this link to some lens reviews and the prices ranged
from $6600 to $7400 (3 lenses)

The photo on this page shows the grey tape that's missing.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 20/12/2010 - 19:10

Mike-P

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 19:20
The Dutch lens was not very well advertised, was on a non English site (obviously) and went for an absolute steal so (IMO) you cannot base any price on that lens. It was a once in a lifetime deal bought by someone in the right place at the right time. The most important part of this lens (glass) looks to be in very good condition, the extras are worth nothing in regard to the sale. If the AF works I would expect to pay around 2.5/3k, 2/2.5k if it isn't.

At the end of the day Sam has been advised as to what it is worth (ball park figure) and has to decide whether its worth the hassle to get a better price or a lower amount with no legwork.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 20/12/2010 - 19:11

Mike-P

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 19:24
Algernon wrote:

It was advertised at $6500 but throughout the thread he reduced the asking to $5000 and there were no takers. In the end it went to Ebay and the selling price wasnt mentioned (that I could see?)

frederik9111

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 19:42
(I'm not a native speaker in English, so I hope you don't understand my quotes in non-intended wrong way)

@ Algernon: look closer: it's not the tape that is missing (in fact is 't not tape, but rubber), but it are the golden tags that are missing. The asking prices (not the same as the actual sale prices) you've mentioned are mostly for quite mint FA*'s (not the same lens). For a mint FA* my actual bid would probably be double of my actual bit for this F*.
The copy MARC from PFs.com mentioned was this one, brand new, never used, straight from the shelve.

@Mike, your valuations are probably closer to reality. Taken that the lens were mint and the AF could be confirmed. The lens Asahilex bought was indeed advertised in Dutch, but the 'market' for this lens is "well-organised". It was noticed on the Dutch, Belgian, French, German,... forum within a few hours (in fact minutes), not always publicly ofcource, but thought PM's (in fact, I and a few other Pentaxians I know were also in the running for this lens and were corresponding with Peter and the seller directly). That's why I'm convinced that the price Peter paid was not a steal but a quite realistic price. Don't forget we're in quite specific economic times at this moment. There are also other alternatives like the Sigma 500/5.6, Tamron 300/2.8,... within a comparable price range.

But yes... it's quite thinkable that there are "collectionseurs" in Japan and Korea who would be prepared to pay up to 3K ore more if it were mint. But don't underestimate the price drop if the lens is not mint. I bought my A*600/5.6 with a small issue for barely € 500 (incl. case, extra demo-version of the lens,...) from the famous "Mousehill" (known at dpreview etc...).

Anyway, this is my very subjective reasoning... If somebody else is prepared to offer more than what I'm prepared to pay -> GOOD FOR HIM/HER!
Imagine...
Last Edited by frederik9111 on 18/12/2010 - 19:52

Marc Langille

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 19:51
tomkeet wrote:
The Tripod mount looks remarkably like the FA* 600mm Tripod Mount and not the original not that matters if the optics are OK.

Correct: that is the FA* series tripod collar.

FWIW, the FA* 600/4 and the FA* 250-600/5.6 also share the same tripod collar design.

Regards,
Marc
“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”
Last Edited by Marc Langille on 18/12/2010 - 19:56

frederik9111

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 19:53
Speak of the devil
Hi Marc! We've exchanged some thoughts about the FA*250-600 through the international forum. I didn't know you were active on this forum as well
Imagine...

Mike-P

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 19:54
frederik9111 wrote:
Don't forget we're in quite specific economic times at this moment.

Specific economic times don't come into something like this .. you either want it or you don't. Quality will always be expensive and something this rare even more so, especially if you are prepared to work for your sale.

If the lens were closer I would drive up, stick £1500 cash in Sams hands, take it away and put it straight on Ebay (no matter what others may think).

frederik9111

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 19:56
Mike-P wrote:

If the lens were closer I would drive up, stick £1500 cash in Sams hands, take it away and put it straight on Ebay (no matter what others may think).

(Pentax blasphemy).
Imagine...

Mike-P

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 19:59
frederik9111 wrote:
Mike-P wrote:

(Pentax blasphemy).

Not really, I couldn't live with a lens in that exterior condition, it would drive me mad. Hence why I was not in the car and on my way up on the first post.
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 20/12/2010 - 19:12

Marc Langille

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 20:03
Mike-P wrote:
Algernon wrote:

It was advertised at $6500 but throughout the thread he reduced the asking to $5000 and there were no takers. In the end it went to Ebay and the selling price wasnt mentioned (that I could see?)

Hi Mike-P,

That F* 250-600/5.6 went for less than ($5000) that by a good margin - I know the owner. That copy was in excellent cosmetic condition too.

Regards,
Marc
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 20/12/2010 - 19:08

Marc Langille

Link Posted 18/12/2010 - 20:04
frederik9111 wrote:
Speak of the devil
Hi Marc! We've exchanged some thoughts about the FA*250-600 through the international forum. I didn't know you were active on this forum as well

Hi Fred,

I'm in various places from time to time. Thank goodness my mind isn't everywhere!!!

Cheers,
Marc
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 20/12/2010 - 19:08
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.