Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax 18-250 and Tamron 18-250 lenses

amerkhalil
Posted 26/10/2007 - 18:55 Link
Hi

Can somebody help me.

I want t buy an all in one lens for when I don't want to lug a huge camera bag around.

I have seen that there is a Tamron 18-250 lens on the market and also a recently released Pentax lens covering the same range. Are these both the same lens? And are there any other alternatives you would consider?

Thanks

Amer Khalil
Clarky
Posted 26/10/2007 - 19:13 Link
Can't say i have used either of the 2 lenses you mentioned. But i do have the Tamron 28-300 and too be honest i am not that taken by it. It gets very soft over 200mm But i think you will see that in just about all those lenses with wide ranges. I would'nt buy another personally and will probably e-bay my Tamron in the near future i rarely get it out of the bag any more.
Then i guess it depends on what you want it for also :
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
niblue
Posted 26/10/2007 - 19:54 Link
amerkhalil wrote:
Hi

Can somebody help me.

I want t buy an all in one lens for when I don't want to lug a huge camera bag around.

I have seen that there is a Tamron 18-250 lens on the market and also a recently released Pentax lens covering the same range. Are these both the same lens? And are there any other alternatives you would consider?

They are the same lens - generally I'd say buy whichever is cheaper however with the Tamron and Pentax 28-200's (which were the same lens) the Pentax tends to have better re-sale value so that's also worth considering.

I've not used the Tamron/Pentax 18-250 but it's supposed to be one of the better DSLR superzooms.
simonkit
Posted 27/10/2007 - 00:01 Link
The Tamron 18-250 gets very good reviews considering its focal range, here's a review (Nikon version only):

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/tamron_18250_3563_nikon/index.htm

The difference between the Tamron / Pentax versions is virtually nothing, just a lens coating so, as already mentioned, if the Pentax is noticeably more expensive I'd go with the Tamron - it's also "tried & tested" & comes with a significantly longer warranty than the Pentax

simon
hotshots4u2c
Posted 30/10/2007 - 18:00 Link
Helterskelter.

I am also considering one of these lenses.

Being a fire department photographer and due to the sometimes very rough shooting conditions I lug around two DSLR's as I don't want to change lenses given the smoke, dirt and water conditions.

One lens one camera would be ideal for me. This lens would fit the bill.

With your experience using this lens, (I am not looking for award winning shots, although that would be nice) do you think this lens would work, given the fact that all the events are not in daylight and even then the lighting is not the best all the time.

Is the K10D up to it with this lens ?

Thanks, RG.
Helterskelter
Posted 30/10/2007 - 18:37 Link
Hi RG (hotshots4u2c)

Click on the links below to view some of the general shots that I have taken with my Tamron 18-250mm Di II lens. Incidentally, the first link illustrates Pentax's newly announced 18-250mm super-zoom, which is a virtual clone of the Tamron super-zoom. I'll leave you to decide which model you prefer !!

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/100958-post24.html
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/83871-post6.html
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/83875-post7.html
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/97397-post5.html
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/85055-post8.html

Re your question:

"Do you think this lens would work, given the fact that all the events are not in daylight and even then the lighting is not the best all the time".

That's quite a difficult one to answer, because I've never used this lens under the arduous situation that you describe ! At the wide-end of this lens the maximum aperture is f3.5 and to be honest, the built-in flash is really not all that powerful. You'd also need to remove the supplied lens-hood when using the built-in flash, because in this instance the hood casts quite a noticeable 'shadow' at the bottom of each image when the lens is set to the 18mm-wide setting ! I'd advise you to obtain a separate PTTL-capable (Pentax Through The Lens) flashgun of some description, to illuminate the subject sufficiently when auxilliary lighting is unavailable ! In every other respect I am delighted by the optical quality, sturdy construction and compact dimensions of the 18-250mm and hope that this info helps your decision process in some way ?

Best regards
Richard

P.S. The thought just occurred to me that although the K10D body is 'weather-sealed', I believe I am correct in stating that that neither the Tamron or Pentax 18-250mm super-zooms are 'water-proof', in the same way that the latest DA series lenses are supposed to be ?
hotshots4u2c
Posted 30/10/2007 - 19:54 Link
Helterskelter.

Thank you for all the info.

I do have the Pentax 560 flash.

Appears the lens takes pretty good images under fair conditions. The one shot in darker weather was not too good.
My trusty Sigma APO 75-300mm does a good job, but I am still screwed for wider shots without a lens change, or my other DSLR.

Will have to give it some more thought.

Thanks again, RG.
johnriley
Posted 30/10/2007 - 20:07 Link
The alternative to fast lenses is upping the ISO, a technique I use quite a bit and which gives good results up to 800 and tolerable reults at 1600, with the K10D. The K100D could be better for this if the lighting is really low.

What sort of focal lengths would you ideally need and what sort of exposures do you make?

How about 2 camera bodies with a wide zoom on one and a tele zoom on the other?
Best regards, John
Helterskelter
Posted 30/10/2007 - 20:22 Link
Hi again RG (hotshots4u2c)

Bear in mind that none of these photos have been edited or sharpened in any way. They are 'straight-out-of-the-camera' and have simply been reduced in Paint Shop Pro to comply with forum requirements. A little bit of post-processing works wonders, I can assure you !

Best regards
Richard
hotshots4u2c
Posted 30/10/2007 - 20:47 Link
John.

I use higher ISO all the time.

Run the whole gamut up to 300mm (450mm on K10)

The whole idea is to get away from taking 2 bodies, that's what I do now and it's a pain in the neck. Literally.

Thanks for your input.

RG.

HK.

Thanks.

RG.
niblue
Posted 30/10/2007 - 21:01 Link
I tend to shoot at as low an ISO as possible however I've had pretty good results at higher ISO's in low light conditions where the SR has also helped considerably.

Here's some examples from a visit to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo earlier this year:

Comment Image

K10D, ISO 640, 16-45mm at F4@1/20 (16mm) handheld.

Comment Image

K10D, ISO 800, 16-45mm at F4@1/10 (23mm) handheld.

Comment Image

K10D, ISO 800, 16-45mm @F4/1/13 (34mm) handheld
hotshots4u2c
Posted 30/10/2007 - 21:06 Link
niblue.

Thanks.

I was really hoping for some examples of higher ISO with the Tamron 18-250mm lens.

RG.
niblue
Posted 30/10/2007 - 21:11 Link
hotshots4u2c wrote:
niblue.

Thanks.

I was really hoping for some examples of higher ISO with the Tamron 18-250mm lens.

I don't have one of those I'm afraid - I do have a Tamron/Pentax 28-200 but I haven't used it much with the DSLR.
beakynet
Posted 31/10/2007 - 23:57 Link
amerkhalil wrote:
Hi

I have recently looked at getting the Tamron lens but I read a less favouable review and started to look for an alternative. I compared it with the Sigma 18 to 200 and decided I preferred the smoother operation of the Sigma lens (Tamron was slow and noisy to focus). I decided that the extra 50mm was not important. I have to say, I am very pleased with the Sigma lens, it is quiet, smooth and handles very well for me.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.