Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax 16-45 f4 DA Lens - Photography Monthly Test ???

grahamwalton
Posted 22/04/2007 - 23:44 Link
A group test of Fast Standard Zooms in the May edition of Photography Monthly, slams the Pentax 16-45 into last place. In the Verdict, it said that, Pentax owners wishing to stay with their camera brand are left out in the cold.
The tests appear to have been done by Ian Andrews (doesn't he do the tests for ephotozine). However the Imatest charts for the Pentax 16-45 used in the article, do not appear to support the comments.
Other manufacturers lenses, which appear to have produced poorer charts have been given better marks and positive comments.

Has anybody else viewed the article?
kcmadr
Posted 23/04/2007 - 01:23 Link
Remember, it's the exception that proves the rule.
johnriley
Posted 23/04/2007 - 07:48 Link
Quote:
Imatest charts for the Pentax 16-45 used in the article, do not appear support the comments.
Other manufacturers lenses, which appear to have produced poorer charts have been given better marks and positive comments.

This is something that constantly annoys me about testers - their conclusions are not supported by the results they present.
Best regards, John
Pwynnej
Posted 23/04/2007 - 08:02 Link
It's what really annoys me about PM...I read the test of the K100D which seemed to concentrate on its' failings. Only 6 MP they say, big negative yet they can't praise the Nikon D40 enough.....

And what annoys me even more that the D40 only takes certain F-mount lenses. That is glossed over.

Time to call the Pentax lens "EF-S 16-45 'L'", then it's sure to get more marks.

Also time to call time on my PM subscription, I am fed up of Wil Cheung
Tyr
Posted 23/04/2007 - 10:48 Link
I was quite surprised as it performed just as well as the Sigma 18-55. I am always impressed by how constant the resolution on Olympus optics tends to be. Either way, the test results are there to see so you can make your own mind up.
Taliety
Posted 30/04/2007 - 23:09 Link
Quote:
Either way, the test results are there to see so you can make your own mind up.

Problem is that most people don't look at the graphs, just the score at the end of the article. It was only when I saw the score and read the conclusions that I thought "well, why is it so bad, and how does it differ from the others". Then I read the graphs and wandered how Andrew came to that conclusion. The only thing he said that was true was that the Pentax lens was not as wide as some of the others.

Cheers

Malcolm
Hythloday
Posted 01/05/2007 - 17:49 Link
grahamwalton wrote:
A group test of Fast Standard Zooms in the May edition of Photography Monthly, slams the Pentax 16-45 into last place. In the Verdict, it said that, Pentax owners wishing to stay with their camera brand are left out in the cold.

The problem is that the DA12-24mm and the DA16-24mm are equally bad Poor Pentax owners. What is to become of them?
Mongoose
Posted 01/05/2007 - 18:18 Link
if, having read this review, any of you 16-45 owners are inclined to skip this obviously inferior lens, I'd be happy to take it off your hands and dispose of it free of charge
Hythloday
Posted 01/05/2007 - 18:45 Link
Mongoose wrote:
if, having read this review, any of you 16-45 owners are inclined to skip this obviously inferior lens, I'd be happy to take it off your hands and dispose of it free of charge

It is too bad to give away. Only fools like you will want to take it

But I was even a bigger fool, for I paid money for it
MattMatic
Posted 01/05/2007 - 21:08 Link
Well, that does it... I'm getting a Canon 5D and L series lenses.

LOL!
Yeah, right
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
bretbysteve
Posted 09/05/2007 - 17:52 Link
Hi,

Graham..why not contact the magazine? they will have direct contact, probably via the web these days. I would If I were you. Ask why the tester chooses to ignore the results of his own test?

I just read the test myself..I picked up the offending mag in WHS. The conclusions were frankly a joke. They bore no resemblance to the facts of the test as presented in the charts. I could not believe the charts for the Nikon lens, they were noticeably worse that for the Pentax lens, on top of which the Nikkor cost about three times as much and yet in the conclusion it was praised! what on earth is that all about?

Mail them...ask.

cheers Steve.
Don
Posted 09/05/2007 - 18:06 Link
Those testers and editors know whose ad dollars keep them in pot.
Don't expect justice.
let's hope pentax doesn't triple the price of our gear, to pay for trippling thier ad budgets, just so they can get better reviews and support the drug industry.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.