Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax 10-17mm Vs Sigma 8-16mm

MattyH
Posted 19/09/2012 - 08:03 Link
I would be more then happy if they brought out a metal mount,well built 35mm f1.8 like Nikon has done for less then £200 which currently their best selling lens,
I bet Nikon has sold more of that one lens then Pentax has sold in its entire current range, and I know there are a lot more Nikon users then Pentax but it does need to start looking to attract new people to the brand if it's going to survive the next decade,
Also while we are on it I want a 24mm f2, a 135mm f2 and a 300mm f4 and for Sigma, Tokina and Tamron to take back Pentax under their wing.
johnriley
Posted 19/09/2012 - 08:30 Link
Given the current lens lineup and the probable priorities I fear a 35mm f1.8 would be quite unlikely, but you can buy a very nice 35mm f2, albeit at a price:

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/7773/Pentax-smc-FA-35mm-F2-AL-Lens.html

Howver, the 40mm f2.8 is not a million miles away and this version is very moderately priced:

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/8499/Pentax-smc-DA-40mm-f2-8-XS-Lens---UNBOXED....
Best regards, John
cabstar
Posted 19/09/2012 - 09:21 Link
That's a lot of wants for one post
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
MattyH
Posted 19/09/2012 - 10:16 Link
johnriley wrote:
Given the current lens lineup and the probable priorities I fear a 35mm f1.8 would be quite unlikely, but you can buy a very nice 35mm f2, albeit at a price:

Howver, the 40mm f2.8 is not a million miles away and this version is very moderately priced:

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/8499/Pentax-smc-DA-40mm-f2-8-XS-Lens---UNBOXED....

Thanks for the great suggestion of the 40mm, that lens could fill a nice gap for me and will be the next lens, quite surprised at the price too,thank you,
It's not that I have anything against the current line up of lenses, it's just that I have invested in a K5 and the camera is spot on, it's that I want Pentax to see that it needs to compete with the other brands an so to attract new user who would of otherwise keep going to Canon and Nikon,
The K30 is not the camera for the new user they need a new Kr or even a new K1000 with lenses priced accordingly and with the profits it makes from new people buying into the brand they will be able to reinvest to produce maybe a FF camera and even more fancy lenses for those who can afford, or am I missing something as it seems basic business sense. To me anyway.
MattyH
Posted 19/09/2012 - 10:20 Link
cabstar wrote:

It's just the lenses I feel I could use and would invest in myself,

We all have different needs and budgets and Pentax/Ricoh need to see that instead of bringing out a rebadged Tamron lens and a super telephoto lens that is beyond daft as who is there target buyer for that and who could afford it apart from pro's who tend to use the other two big brands anyway..
johnriley
Posted 19/09/2012 - 10:22 Link
Quote:
or am I missing something as it seems basic business sense

What we are all missing is the balance sheet, the production figures, the details of available workforce and capacity, the general details of what Pentax is on a day to day and long term basis.

No large company works in a vague and wooly way, they will be constantly planning, promoting, negotiating and there will be some very careful decision making going on.

Most of what we say is pure conjecture, but we can safely assume that in any company that has survived so far, people will be managing it as required.

There are plenty of signs of expansion coming through, but it all takes time, and I surmise that the time scale will already have been set, subject to satisfactory sales results I guess.
Best regards, John
MattyH
Posted 19/09/2012 - 10:33 Link
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
or am I missing something as it seems basic business sense

What we are all missing is the balance sheet, the production figures, the details of available workforce and capacity, the general details of what Pentax is on a day to day and long term basis.

No large company works in a vague and wooly way, they will be constantly planning, promoting, negotiating and there will be some very careful decision making going on.

Most of what we say is pure conjecture, but we can safely assume that in any company that has survived so far, people will be managing it as required.

There are plenty of signs of expansion coming through, but it all takes time, and I surmise that the time scale will already have been set, subject to satisfactory sales results I guess.

John the voice of reason as ever, I just hope you are right as it would be a very sad day to lose such an iconic brand forever.
I just hope yourself and maybe even Pentax can see what I am saying as I have no interest in changing brands it's just that they do need to build on what they have got as you only have to look at what a disappointment Photokina was this year compared to the other manufactures that we're there,
You need Nikon,Sony and Canon looking over their shoulders and worrying just like Fuji has done in the last couple of years and what a turnaround for that company.
MattyH
Posted 19/09/2012 - 13:10 Link
John, just to let you know I have just ordered the 40mm xs you suggested and will let you know how I get on,could not turned it down at that price.

Kind regards Matt
johnriley
Posted 19/09/2012 - 14:01 Link
Excellent, from all accounts it's up to the optical standard of the Limited version. Please do post some examples when you have some.
Best regards, John
MattyH
Posted 22/09/2012 - 11:46 Link
johnriley wrote:

John, 40mm XS lens now arrived or I think it has it could just be a body cap it's that light and tiny,

First thoughts are quite positive, build quality is spot on for the price and attached to the K5 I can almost fit in my pocket, I think this is going to be a fun weekend on the streets for a few candids me thinks,

Thanks again for the suggestion .

Kind regards Matt
DNA
Posted 06/10/2012 - 13:25 Link
I think it's about the view, since Pentax is fish-eye and Sigma isn't.
cabstar
Posted 06/10/2012 - 15:22 Link
MattyH wrote:
cabstar wrote:

It's just the lenses I feel I could use and would invest in myself,

We all have different needs and budgets and Pentax/Ricoh need to see that instead of bringing out a rebadged Tamron lens and a super telephoto lens that is beyond daft as who is there target buyer for that and who could afford it apart from pro's who tend to use the other two big brands anyway..

Yet earlier on you where complaining about the 50mm 1.8 being expensive and then next you are saying you want a 135mm f/2 a 24mm f/2 these lenses are going to cost a lot more than 31mm ltd. the r & d involved would be a huge investment in money and time.

I am one of those pros who don't shoot canon and Nikon, I think the market for the 560mm will be the rental market, I don't know many pros who own glass over 400mm I do know a lt of pros however who rent lenses over 400mm in length who shoot Nikon or canon. Pentax community has been complaining about e lack of long glass for a long time and now one has come along they are moaning about the price. I think Ricoh wants to see a return on its investment and the nay way it can do this is by selling products for a profit that enable future investment in a wider range of lenses.

Myself I would prefer they made their limiters in plastic the same as the da35mm I love this lens and have no issue with it being plastic, I never touch the lens once its fitted to the body, so see no need for metal mounts or metal lenses in the small prime category.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.