Panagor 90mm f2.8 1:1 Macro

noddywithoutbigears

Link Posted 09/10/2009 - 19:15
Evening All

On my eternal quest for "THAT" lens I've picked up one of the above, from what I've read they have a very good reputation being made by Kiron I believe, but as always time will tell.

I've been after a true 1:1 macro for ages but my question is; what is the best aperture setting to use the macro at? When having a look at various articles one guy was an advocate of shooting all his macro pics at f11 where as others let the light dictate the aperture, prefering to shoot at the highest speed for sharpness.

Your thoughts as always greatly appreciated.
P.S I've not used it yet.
A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare. W.H Davies

Anvh

Link Posted 09/10/2009 - 19:22
I use manual mode often and start with f/8 and work from there.
If you can, a tripod improves sharpness but also a flash helps a lot or even better a ring flash.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 09/10/2009 - 19:22

George Lazarette

Link Posted 09/10/2009 - 19:23
Unless you are outside on a bright day, you will almost certainly want to use flash so as to be able to shoot at f11 or smaller.

A wider aperture will give you an impossibly narrow depth of field.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

haydnw

Link Posted 09/10/2009 - 20:34
I'm not an expert but I usually find that I use the narrowest possible aperture for macro shots - which usually means, for me f22 and flash even outside on fairly bright days.
Haydn

link
Samsung GX1S, Nikon D300, Zenith 12XP, Olympus OM10, Holga 120N

Mike-P

Link Posted 09/10/2009 - 20:43
Excellent lens, the majority of my Pentax Photo Gallery shots were taken with the Vivitar version. I normally shoot f8-f16 hand held with flash.

Look forward to seeing some pictures.
. My Flickr

noddywithoutbigears

Link Posted 09/10/2009 - 22:16
Mike-P wrote:
Excellent lens, the majority of my Pentax Photo Gallery shots were taken with the Vivitar version. I normally shoot f8-f16 hand held with flash.

Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Now I've got a clearer picture on what I'm doing, with thanks to you guys of course, hopefully I can post something decent to look at. Thanks for the replies.

It's certainly a hefty well made bit of kit and the reviews I seen of it do suggest it should produce excellent results.

By the way Mike I love your Gallery
A poor life this, if full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare. W.H Davies
Last Edited by noddywithoutbigears on 09/10/2009 - 22:19

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 09/10/2009 - 23:20
Use whatever aperture gives you the depth of field that you're after. I've shot macros with apertures from f/2.8 to f/22 - in just the same way that you would alter the aperture for 'normal' shots, do the same with macro.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

George Lazarette

Link Posted 09/10/2009 - 23:27
Not really "just the same way".

For flowers and things there is not much problem, but for tiny creatures where you want some depth of field you have no alternative but to use a small aperture.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.