Pan only tripod head
Posted 10/12/2022 - 21:11 - Helpful Comment
Link
Neewer (neewer.com) do 3 of what they call Fluid Drag Pan Heads which can be either pan or tilt. I have one of them, it's OK but I find that unless you tighten up the tilt very firmly it can slowly sag a little - especially if you have a heavy lens such as the 60-250 mounted.
Roger
Roger
Posted 10/12/2022 - 21:45
Link
cbrog wrote:
Neewer (neewer.com) do 3 of what they call Fluid Drag Pan Heads which can be either pan or tilt. I have one of them, it's OK but I find that unless you tighten up the tilt very firmly it can slowly sag a little - especially if you have a heavy lens such as the 60-250 mounted.
I want it for a Star Tracker (Sky Watcher Star Adventurer) so I only want Pan... I'll be doing 2 or 3 hour runs with exposures from anywhere for 2 to 10 minutes... so any sag or creep would be a nightmare!
Neewer (neewer.com) do 3 of what they call Fluid Drag Pan Heads which can be either pan or tilt. I have one of them, it's OK but I find that unless you tighten up the tilt very firmly it can slowly sag a little - especially if you have a heavy lens such as the 60-250 mounted.
Posted 10/12/2022 - 22:03
Link
I use a Manfrotto 468MGQ6 ball head. It has a pan base under the ball head. This head has an incredible (and effortless) locking mechanism. I regularly mount a Gigapan Epic Pro on it with a K3 and 150-450 lens, and the thing never sags or move. Take my word when I say it's a very heavy combination. The pan feature has some drag to make pan shot "smoother". It also sports an Arca-Swiss mount, but it is also available with different mounting plates. Best ball head I've ever used.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 10/12/2022 - 22:38
Link
Posted 10/12/2022 - 22:58 - Helpful Comment
Link
A geared head will be rock solid, no creep or sag. It will have 3 axes of rotation but you can use pan and ignore the others. I've got a Manfrotto 410, good for 5Kg, it's what I use for macro at 1:1 and beyond. Their 405 carries 7.5Kg, 400 takes 10Kg. Other brands and models are available . How much are you willing to pay? Look and drool...
Steve
Steve
Posted 10/12/2022 - 23:20
Link
Lubbyman wrote:
A geared head will be rock solid, no creep or sag. It will have 3 axes of rotation but you can use pan and ignore the others. I've got a Manfrotto 410, good for 5Kg, it's what I use for macro at 1:1 and beyond. Their 405 carries 7.5Kg, 400 takes 10Kg. Other brands and models are available . How much are you willing to pay? Look and drool...
Steve
Err.......... ERR......... ERR..................A geared head will be rock solid, no creep or sag. It will have 3 axes of rotation but you can use pan and ignore the others. I've got a Manfrotto 410, good for 5Kg, it's what I use for macro at 1:1 and beyond. Their 405 carries 7.5Kg, 400 takes 10Kg. Other brands and models are available . How much are you willing to pay? Look and drool...
Steve
To get one of those, I might have to do a bank job!!
Posted 10/12/2022 - 23:43 - Helpful Comment
Link
Spad wrote:
That will not be steady enough... possibly nor could it even deal with the weight.
This is what will be mounted on it:

Plus with a body and up to a Sigma 150 500 or an 80mm Refractor Telescope mounted on it...
That will not be steady enough... possibly nor could it even deal with the weight.
This is what will be mounted on it:

Plus with a body and up to a Sigma 150 500 or an 80mm Refractor Telescope mounted on it...
I wouldn't be suprised if it was sturdy enough to hold that weight. It uses a hydrostatic mechanism to lock a rather large ball in place. When it's locked, it becomes rock solid. My set-up with the Gigapan/K3/150-450 is about eleven pounds. Unfortunately, the only way to know would be to try it.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 11/12/2022 - 00:40
Link
I've just read about it... it can hold loads up to 16kg!
How big is the platform?? The base of the Star Adventurer's Eq mount base is about 3in in diameter.
I have just weighed all the kit and fully loaded it will be between 7.5kg and 10kg depending which Telescope or big lens i use.
How big is the platform?? The base of the Star Adventurer's Eq mount base is about 3in in diameter.
I have just weighed all the kit and fully loaded it will be between 7.5kg and 10kg depending which Telescope or big lens i use.
Posted 11/12/2022 - 12:28
Link
All of these are great ideas but they're probably overcomplicating what I wanna do. I missed the next part out in my original post!!
The reason I want a pan only is becuase... As it stands at the minute I have to physically move the tripod with the star tracker mounted on it to point north. This so I can polar align it. So I went looking for a pan only head. So I can adjust it without having to move the entire set up!
The reason I want a pan only is becuase... As it stands at the minute I have to physically move the tripod with the star tracker mounted on it to point north. This so I can polar align it. So I went looking for a pan only head. So I can adjust it without having to move the entire set up!
Posted 11/12/2022 - 13:47 - Helpful Comment
Link
Novoflex do panning heads link although the bigger ones have an integrated quick release unit which may rule them out for you. Their stuff is very, very good (from personal experience of their macro gear). I'd be surprised if the weight of your gear is a problem as the head will always be horizontal. Buy in the UK via Speedgraphic.co.uk if you don't fancy buying direct from Germany.
Steve
Steve
Posted 11/12/2022 - 14:50
Link
Lubbyman wrote:
Novoflex do panning heads link although the bigger ones have an integrated quick release unit which may rule them out for you. Their stuff is very, very good (from personal experience of their macro gear). I'd be surprised if the weight of your gear is a problem as the head will always be horizontal. Buy in the UK via Speedgraphic.co.uk if you don't fancy buying direct from Germany.
Steve
Thanks for that Steve! Novoflex do panning heads link although the bigger ones have an integrated quick release unit which may rule them out for you. Their stuff is very, very good (from personal experience of their macro gear). I'd be surprised if the weight of your gear is a problem as the head will always be horizontal. Buy in the UK via Speedgraphic.co.uk if you don't fancy buying direct from Germany.
Steve
I am going to consider one of the Novoflex heads but I am also seriously considering this link
Posted 11/12/2022 - 17:53 - Helpful Comment
Link
[quote:3496ace15f="Spad"] How big is the platform?? The base of the Star Adventurer's Eq mount base is about 3in in diameter. [quote]
The base on mine is an Arca-Swiss compatible plate measuring about two inches and three quarters, buit they have different top plate like the RC4 which has a Manfrotto proprietary plate which is about 2 3/4" X 3 1/2"with a different quick release with a safety catch. I have this plate on my vedeo equipment and it works flawlessly.
I kind of like your set-up, but I'm not in astro photography. Hopefully, we'll see some of your pictures on this site,
The base on mine is an Arca-Swiss compatible plate measuring about two inches and three quarters, buit they have different top plate like the RC4 which has a Manfrotto proprietary plate which is about 2 3/4" X 3 1/2"with a different quick release with a safety catch. I have this plate on my vedeo equipment and it works flawlessly.
I kind of like your set-up, but I'm not in astro photography. Hopefully, we'll see some of your pictures on this site,
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 11/12/2022 - 18:46
Link
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



1375 posts
18 years
Thanks