Opening Times at special sites

Roscoe

Link Posted 03/08/2011 - 23:23
As I have mentioned in one of my replies, National Heritage,who control the Whitby abbey site, open it for admission at 10am and I believe(don't quote me), last admission is at 5.30pm.

The point of my topic is, as these times prevent early dawn,or sunset shots, of this most iconic ruin, has anyone else found restrictive opening times prevent them obtaining desired shots using natural ligting?

fatspider

Link Posted 03/08/2011 - 23:27
Many times, you just go with the flow, find something else to snap.

As for Whitby Abbey, with a long lens its possible to get some good sunrises from the West Cliff, not that I've ever been there early enough
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

greynolds999

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 09:33
I'm a member of Historic Scotland so have no hesitation sneaking into certain sites.

I'm sure they wouldn't be overly happy (mainly because of safety fears), but there are some shots you can only get at certain times.

You could try contacting the directly and ask if you can get in early. They may not be willing, or may charge, but there is no harm in asking.
My Photobucket

johnriley

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 10:28
Lots of photographic opportunties can be arranged by simply asking. For an example have a look at the images ADAPS members made in the John Rylands Library last month. Two years ago we did a similar thing at Manchester Town Hall.

www.adaps.org.uk

Go to the forum and look at the Images section.
Best regards, John

simonkit

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 10:33
Roscoe wrote:
As I have mentioned in one of my replies, National Heritage,who control the Whitby abbey site, open it for admission at 10am and I believe(don't quote me), last admission is at 5.30pm.

The point of my topic is, as these times prevent early dawn,or sunset shots, of this most iconic ruin, has anyone else found restrictive opening times prevent them obtaining desired shots using natural ligting?

I think it's pretty standards practice - everywhere I can think of here in North Wales closes at 6pm even during peak summer months, I'm sure if they were open a little later they would get visitors in but I guess it means extra staff hours etc.

Fortunately I find most of the best photo opportunities for me are from outside so never really had an issue

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link
Last Edited by simonkit on 04/08/2011 - 10:34

johnriley

Link Posted 04/08/2011 - 10:36
There are of course quite a few English Heritage properties that are open "any reasonable time" so these should be ideal places for dawn and dusk visits.

Others may be clearly visible from adjoining public footpaths.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.