'Old' lens advice needed.


fleaberto

Link Posted 23/10/2008 - 22:27
I bought an old 35mm SLR from a local charity shop, something to use to practice with as it's fully manual & i'm interested in taking shots on film as well as digital.
Now, it's a Phenix DC303K with a 50mm f1.7 lens on it. The whole outfit (with a case lol) cost me £10..yup, 10 of our english pounds. I've discovered (with a homer simpson style 'doh!') that the K in the name relates to 'k mount fit' - which means it should fit my K200D right? .. Fully manual with no 'A' , but seems to slot on ok? So i have to set Ap manually as well as focus manually but that's no drama as i'll use it as a portrait lens - 50mm 1.7 for just ten quid??? - a bargain or just leave it on the camera it came with?
Any experts out there gimme any advice/ideas?

Cheers
Lee
Fortune favours the brave.

Father Ted

Link Posted 23/10/2008 - 22:39
Well, I just paid £30 for an old K mount 50mm f1.7 lens for my *istDL.

But, I'm no expert.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

Mannesty

Link Posted 23/10/2008 - 22:41
What make is the lens?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Hardgravity

Link Posted 23/10/2008 - 22:52
I'm no expert, I suggest trying a few varied shots and seeing what the results are. I use an old Ziess M42 lens with an adaptor on my K200D from time to time, very nice. You could have a bargain, there again...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

hefty1

Link Posted 23/10/2008 - 23:51
The camera isn't actually all that old; the DC303K was only launched in 2005 and is still a current model! Phenix are the world's largest manufacturer of manual SLR cameras (it goes without saying that they're Chinese) and I'd expect quality to be on a par with other Chinese manufacturers like Seagull. I've got a Seagull angle finder and it's very good (Seagull also make Kodak digital cameras including their "Schneider" lenses under contract so they're no fools).

Like others have said, try the lens out and if it provides pleasing pictures then you have a bargain!

When you have don't forget to post some examples; there aren't many about and it's always interesting to see what these exotic lenses are capable of...
Joining the Q

gartmore

Link Posted 24/10/2008 - 00:02
hefty1 wrote:
The camera isn't actually all that old; the DC303K was only launched in 2005 and is still a current model! Phenix are the world's largest manufacturer of manual SLR cameras (it goes without saying that they're Chinese) and I'd expect quality to be on a par with other Chinese manufacturers like Seagull. I've got a Seagull angle finder and it's very good (Seagull also make Kodak digital cameras including their "Schneider" lenses under contract so they're no fools).

How do you know all this stuff, I'm always amazed?

Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

hefty1

Link Posted 24/10/2008 - 00:07
gartmore wrote:
hefty1 wrote:
The camera isn't actually all that old; the DC303K was only launched in 2005 and is still a current model! Phenix are the world's largest manufacturer of manual SLR cameras (it goes without saying that they're Chinese) and I'd expect quality to be on a par with other Chinese manufacturers like Seagull. I've got a Seagull angle finder and it's very good (Seagull also make Kodak digital cameras including their "Schneider" lenses under contract so they're no fools).

How do you know all this stuff, I'm always amazed?

Ken

The stuff about Phenix was via the wonder of Google (I confess I hadn't heard of them before but I just visited their web site and had a nose around - they make a silver 24/2.8 in K mount that would look like a good cosmetic match for my Limiteds ).

The stuff about Seagull I just remember reading in AP a few years ago when they were reviewing a Seagull TLR. It convinced me that the angle finder would be of more than acceptable quality and so it proved to be! Happy days!!
Joining the Q

fatspider

Link Posted 24/10/2008 - 00:24
If anyone is interested theres one on fleabay at the moment.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Hazza

Link Posted 24/10/2008 - 05:11
I just found 3 0n fleabay and one of them has a starting price of £100 Like that's going to sell.
The other two start at £22 and 99 pence, which is more realistic I would think.
Harry

Hardgravity

Link Posted 24/10/2008 - 08:14
I'd wait for a report back from Fleaberto about quality before bidding though. As for using manual focus lenses on the K200d, see page 111 in the handbook, if you follow these instructions then SLOWLY focus through the desired point the camera will take your shot for you (keep the shutter button fully pressed).
I use this method, it's easier than trying to change the focus screen!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 24/10/2008 - 08:14

fleaberto

Link Posted 24/10/2008 - 16:24
Wowzers, i didn't realise it was quite that new to be honest - looks and feels like something out of the '80s!!!
Anyway, the lens seems to fit ok. A tight turn to lock into place but locks on & camera asks for the focal length as per 'manual lenses' in the manual. So, all good from that respect.
There's no brand name on the lens so i'm suspecting it to be quite a cheapo in reality. Did 'Centon' make these things? Certainly looks a bit similar to ones ive seen on Ebay.
I'm definitely no expert so i'm probably not the one to report on the technicalities & quality of this lens. All i know, is, that ive taken a particularly lovely shot of my pint of stella on the table ...nicely 'in focus' pint with blurry background (shot it at 1.7) I'll try some more over the weekend, but so far so good i reckon.

Cheers guys
Lee
Fortune favours the brave.

hefty1

Link Posted 24/10/2008 - 20:56
I'd be suprised if the lens was made by anyone other than Phenix - they are an optical manufacturer after all...

As for whether you got a bargain I think you've now answered your own question - if you like the pictures it takes then a bargain was had!
Joining the Q

Hardgravity

Link Posted 24/10/2008 - 21:20
hefty1 wrote:
I'd be suprised if the lens was made by anyone other than Phenix - they are an optical manufacturer after all...

As for whether you got a bargain I think you've now answered your own question - if you like the pictures it takes then a bargain was had!

..and a posted pic or two would show us ...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 24/10/2008 - 21:21

fleaberto

Link Posted 27/10/2008 - 13:57
Hardgravity wrote:
hefty1 wrote:
I'd be suprised if the lens was made by anyone other than Phenix - they are an optical manufacturer after all...

As for whether you got a bargain I think you've now answered your own question - if you like the pictures it takes then a bargain was had!

..and a posted pic or two would show us ...

I know, sorry! I deleted the pic shortly after Must say, after 'techno-bores' attacking my picture attempts on other sites, i'm not confident enough to post pics lately (Again, not THIS site, another 'brand site') However, always genuine - & much appreciated replies to my dufusness on here so i'll soon chuck some in perhaps.
Yeah, i did like the picture that came up with that new/old lens - beautiful happy accident so i'll certainly stick with it.

thanks again guys
Lee
Fortune favours the brave.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 27/10/2008 - 15:58
Quote:
Yeah, i did like the picture that came up with that new/old lens - beautiful happy accident so i'll certainly stick with it.

That's what I like to hear, as for criticizing photos, I don't but do give praise where it's due...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.