Ok Ok I know! 17-70 Vs 16-50

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 21:56
Put a UV filter on it. The effect on performance is virtually nil, assuming the filter is good quality and you would not thank yourself if you scratch or damage the front element.

Regards
David
Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

es

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 22:01
davidstorm wrote:
Put a UV filter on it. The effect on performance is virtually nil, assuming the filter is good quality and you would not thank yourself if you scratch or damage the front element.

Regards
David

Thanks David, do you have any recommendations for a filter brand? it takes a 77mm size.

Regards Edward.

Mike-P

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 22:02
Yup, Spend the best part of £600 on a decent lens and then stick another layer of glass in front of it.

By all means buy a filter and use it when near salty water or if there is danger of the front element being damaged but otherwise leave it off.

I have a big pile of Hoya professional / B&W / Kenko filters in the cupboard from used lenses I have bought. They get taken off as soon as the lens arrives and never see daylight again.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

jules

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 22:15
Mike-P wrote:
Yup, Spend the best part of £600 on a decent lens and then stick another layer of glass in front of it.

By all means buy a filter and use it when near salty water or if there is danger of the front element being damaged but otherwise leave it off.

I have a big pile of Hoya professional / B&W / Kenko filters in the cupboard from used lenses I have bought. They get taken off as soon as the lens arrives and never see daylight again.

+1

I used to UV every Lens, now I only carry a few filters for emergencies
CPL/ND and a Clear protect but that may go due to the SP coating on the Pentax Lenses I intend to buy.
Put the hood on and you'll never damage the front element, and the lens coating takes care of the rest...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

es

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 22:21
jules wrote:
Mike-P wrote:

+1

CPL/ND and a Clear protect but that may go due to the SP coating on the Pentax Lenses I intend to buy.
Put the hood on and you'll never damage the front element, and the lens coating takes care of the rest...

jules wrote:
Mike-P wrote:

+1

es

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 22:26
Thank you All very much for your valuable comments, I think I will get a filter and use it when at the seaside or desert.. Will let you all know what I think of it once I have used it a few times....
Regards Edward

jules

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 22:33
Mikes right with the idea of sticking another element into the optical train, as I found out when I put a UVO on my Canon 100-400 and it threw the focus off by a mile rendering it unusable! Took me a good while to figure out what it was but it appears that particular model of Lens didn't like filters at that time, others didn't suffer the problem but quite a lot of fellow Canon users did, It caused a lot of forum arguments and name calling I can tell you! Just be aware of what your doing when you stick extra glass on but if it makes you feel more secure then go right ahead...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 22:38
I can't see why a UV filter would affect the focus of a lens - it does not affect mine. Circular polariser yes - these do not work well on some lenses but a decent UV filter should not alter the focal length of a lens unless the filter is doing something it's not designed to do.

Regards
David
Flickr

Mike-P

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 22:47
I bought a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 off ebay years ago and when it arrived the lens was absolute rubbish .. the focus wouldn't lock half the time and when it did the picture was always lacking detail. I was all ready to send the seller a snotty email asking for my money back but then thought I would take off the Hoya filter that it came with.

Like night and day ... honestly. It was a totally different lens.

Dunno if the filter was dodgy but I have never used a filter since.

Mike-P

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 22:48
jules wrote:
as I found out when I put a UVO on my Canon 100-400 and it threw the focus off by a mile rendering it unusable!

I will make sure I don't use one on mine then

davidstorm

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 22:52
I have had real problems with some polarisers that look clear / sharp when you look through them, but render focus impossible on the lens, but never with a UV and I've had a lot of these filters on a lot of lenses. I can understand that any filter, even a good UV one will have some effect on image quality, but I'd rather bear this than lose the lens. I've dropped a couple of lenses in my time that have only been saved because they had a UV filter attached which was smashed completely. Without this the front element would have been broken.

Regards
David
Flickr

Last Edited by davidstorm on 29/02/2012 - 23:06

Mike-P

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 23:01
davidstorm wrote:
I've gropped a couple of lenses in my time that have only been saved because they had a UV filter attached which was smashed completely. Without this the front element would have been broken.

And I have seen pictures of lenses that had a filter (and front cap) on that were dropped. The filter broke, had nowhere to go and so the bits of glass rattled around tearing the front element to ribbons.

Still .. down to personal preference at the end of the day

johnha

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 23:02
I use filters on all my lenses, primarily to protect the lens coating from the cleaning it would otherwise require. Before 'digital filters' were an option, optical filters were necessary for many different effects and lenses shouldn't be affected significantly when quality filters are fitted.

Manufacture tolerances of individual lenses and cameras are going to have a far greater effect than a decent filter.
PPG Flickr

jules

Link Posted 29/02/2012 - 23:21
A Lens Hood wins this rock paper scissors contest, just got to make sure it attaches securely which some don't of course
Again though it's down to how secure you feel about it, One mans goose is another mans gander, I guess.
I flogged all my filters on Ebay and made a tidy sum Mike
And finally!
A couple of Thom Hogan's whitticisms

Which filter should I buy to protect my new lens?
An insurance policy.

No, I mean what UV filter?
Your skin needs a UV filter more than your lens does. I particularly like Blue Lizard suntan lotion, since the bottle turns blue when exposed to UV, which is cool. Not too greasy and withstands some water immersion.

Stop kidding around. I need a filter to protect the front of my lens, what should I get?
If you're serious about getting a protective filter I suggest you go to your local camera store, find the salesperson with the least experience, and ask them. They'll know what to sell you.

Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

Stuey

Link Posted 01/03/2012 - 12:24
I bought a Pentax M 200mm F4 - it arrived with a uv filter attached and was awful - removed the filter and as with Mike's lens it was like night and day in terms of the difference
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.