Ok Ok I know! 17-70 Vs 16-50

jules

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 23:35
George Lazarette wrote:
If you're such a good photographer that the only thing wrong with your pictures is purely their technical quality, then fair enough.

G

I don't think there is a Photographer on the Planet that in all reality falls into that bracket!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

George Lazarette

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 23:39
So you know what to do, then!

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

jules

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 23:47
vrapan wrote:
I have yet to try the DA* 16-50, I bought from here, properly in any way to make any judgement regarding its IQ. However I did try out the 17-70 and despite it being a nice light well constructed lens it does not hold a candle compared to the quality of the 16-50 and that is not before I even realised the fact that the 17-70 ring rotates.

To top that I value the 1 extra mm on the wide end more than I do the 20mm on the long end and the extra stop of brightness is huge. If you can get a s/h one the price difference is a lot smaller than if buying new.

Each to their own I guess but
I value the Extra 4mm at the wide end that the 12-24mm I am getting has over the 16-50, or maybe I'll get the Sigma 8-16mm? I really enjoyed that Lens on my D7000 but I feel that the 12-24 is better right across the frame than the Sigma but then it isn't 12mm EFOV on APSC either, Thats another thread topic though...
If I were only to own either the 16-50 or the 17-70 and no wide then I'd have to go for the 16-50, that may yet happen if I don't realise quite enough from the Sale of My Sony FF Kit...
Hopefully it'll be: K5/12-24/17-70/60-250.
As it is I may have to go down the second hand route for the 60-250 as well as the 12-24 I have lined up but I'd really like to buy the 60-250 new, best deal seems to be good old SRS AT £939, I'd rather pay a little less though...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams

jules

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 23:48
George Lazarette wrote:
So you know what to do, then!

G

He He
Practice Practice Practice...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

Mike-P

Link Posted 21/02/2012 - 09:26
jules wrote:

Emotional Rollercoaster...

And now there's the D800 .. have you seen the specifications for that camera. Looks a certain winner for Nikon.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 21/02/2012 - 09:27

jules

Link Posted 21/02/2012 - 11:25
Mike-P wrote:
jules wrote:

Emotional Rollercoaster...

And now there's the D800 .. have you seen the specifications for that camera. Looks a certain winner for Nikon.

Couldn't be less interested in what that bunch of so and so's pedal any longer , their holier than thou attitude has made me leave them for good, they can get stuffed.
Touchy? You bet!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

jules

Link Posted 21/02/2012 - 11:31
That came across a bit strong but you can take it I don't love Nikoff no more!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

jules

Link Posted 21/02/2012 - 11:49
A D7000 with a greasy sensor that needed cleaning every fifty shots
A D700 that needed the mount shimming brand new and eventually a chassis replacement.
A D3 with a misaligned viewfinder.
Then there's the Lenses, I shot NIKON for 25 Years bot semi pro and pro but no longer, there's only so much you can take.
Then there was capture N X...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

K10D

Link Posted 21/02/2012 - 13:09
jules wrote:
A D7000 with a greasy sensor that needed cleaning every fifty shots
A D700 that needed the mount shimming brand new and eventually a chassis replacement.
A D3 with a misaligned viewfinder.
Then there's the Lenses, I shot NIKON for 25 Years bot semi pro and pro but no longer, there's only so much you can take.
Then there was capture N X...

Did they see you coming or are you just naturally unlucky when buying cameras and lenses Jules? You have been through all of the leading brands and have now returned to Pentax.

I use three different systems, have yet to test or calibrate any lens on any digital body with focus adjust, have never had any camera I own disappoint, have only had broken equipment due to me dropping it or crashing it into solid objects and now feel that I must be blessed or very fortunate when it comes to kit selection and use.

Let's hope that you can find kit that you can settle with and performs to your requirements.

Best regards and good luck.

jules

Link Posted 21/02/2012 - 14:30
Here's hoping
I must be very unlucky,as I know people like yourself who have shot Nikon for a similar amount of time as myself but have never had a problem.
It's just that when you do have a problem, it's nice if the Company that is involved would acknowledge it too.
All of the above bodies mentioned went back to Nikon at Kingston On Thames and on every occasion I was told it was my fault and It must be something I'd done depite being a Nikon Professional Services Member, was treated with a very "Holier than thou" attitude, and each time I recieved less than wonderful service. In the end all were found to be Manufacturing faults. To balance when I had a 5DMKII and 7D from CANON I recieved wonderful service but it was just a shame I didn't like the Cameras very much I remeber emailing Canon UK with a problem at 8:00PM one night and recieving a reply at 8:01PM!
I think I'll get on ok with my Pentax as I have love for it already and will be prepared to put up with some little foibles should they arise, I simply cannot afford to keep switching any more
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 21/02/2012 - 14:32

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 21/02/2012 - 15:04
Was the D700 a used body? I read that using very large lenses, without due support, can sometimes cause the mount to come out of alignment and require shimming.

It just shows that no brand is without it's problems if you are unlucky.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

jules

Link Posted 21/02/2012 - 15:51
Nah they were all new, had they been second hand I could have understood Nikons attitiude but they were all bought new and also when serviced had less than a thousand shots on the clock, Yes the D700 did have problems with Long Lenses unsupported I seem to remember that but I only used to put the 200-400 on the D3, and I'm a bit of a sissy with my gear anyway, if you'd ever bought anything from me you'd know that, I look after my kit. Had I been in a Warzone with it I could have reconciled myself to their Demeanour but frankly I was a bit gobbsmacked at their service (Lack therof) but you put up a bit when you've been with the same firm for 25 Years, since however it kept happening, I've voted with my feet...
Anyway Nikon and Long Lenses is academic to me now As I simply couldn't carry them any more, not sure I'd want to either! Not quite sure how my back stood it all those years before going west on me
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

Mike-P

Link Posted 21/02/2012 - 15:59
jules wrote:
but I only used to put the 200-400 on the D3,

Yikes, you did spend a bit of money didn't you.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

jules

Link Posted 21/02/2012 - 16:43
Sure did Mike, waay too much

You could help Save me a little as I'm about to press the buy button on a 60-250 from SRS as we speak
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

jules

Link Posted 21/02/2012 - 16:58
Too late and I knew you wanted to save me too
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.