Ok Ok I know! 17-70 Vs 16-50

simonkit

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 13:26
Being completely honest I hadn't really noticed the rotating focusing ring At least not so that I can ever remember it being an issue

The DA17-70 is a great lens, especially for landscapes, although I can't compare it to the 16-50 which I've never really considered, maybe I should

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link

MattMatic

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 13:46
This isn't going to help LBA, but a couple of shots may explain what I mean: f/2.8 at 43mm and f/2.8 but with PP.

Oh, and the DA*16-50 isn't as sharp as the DA*50-135 so it's advisable to carry both

As I said, for landscapes, the DA17-70 is superb (have a couple of shots on my wall in 18x12" glory).

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 20/02/2012 - 13:46

MattMatic

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 13:53
And just so the DA17-70 doesn't feel left out:
Wild Light, Jack & Jill, The Station Office, Clouds at Charmouth (on my wall!), Dandelion macro, Yorshire Light (on my wall!).

HTH!
Matt

Mike-P

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 14:00
The dandelion shot is gorgeous Matt.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

jules

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 14:12
I hink the consensus would be that I just get over it! Anyway the Product Manager of Pentax Japan hinted at a replacement for the 16-50 coming up Or maybe the 17-70 or maybe something else...?
http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/exclusive-pentax-interview-cp-2012.html

P.S. I agree Matt, that Dandelion shot is Priceless!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Last Edited by jules on 20/02/2012 - 14:13

Mike-P

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 14:15
Nice to see you haven't changed much in the 6 months you have been away Jules

So which cameras did you buy in that time?

So far I have seen a 7D, D7000, A77, A850
Last Edited by Mike-P on 20/02/2012 - 14:15

jules

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 15:13
Mike-P wrote:
Nice to see you haven't changed much in the 6 months you have been away Jules

So which cameras did you buy in that time?

So far I have seen a 7D, D7000, A77, A850

Is it only six months? I've changed a lot Mike, had to, had some knocks that, well are not for a place like this but I hope I'll eventually come out the other end better for it.

Yes all those, you can Add a 5DMKII and a Nikon D7000 to that little lot!
Pretty much Bankcrupt me, all for the stupid Obsession that Gear became well hopefully no more. I've come back to the only Camera that I have actually enjoyed in the last few years and I'll just have to get used to the fact that others may get more bells and whistles but that don't always make em better...

But I'll take an updated k5 whenever that comes
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams

MattMatic

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 15:59
Quote:
P.S. I agree Matt, that Dandelion shot is Priceless!

Thanks

Quote:
I hink the consensus would be that I just get over it!

Absolutely As I was trying to show, the DA17-70 is capable of superb results! Even in low light it was almost a match for the FA50/1.4 Certainly more versatile.

But, as I said, the DA*16-50 has different quality. Not everyone likes (or appreciates) the differences, so YMMV. It does look like there'll be some kind of DA* replacement in the future (from the Pentax lens roadmap).

If I were you, I'd just enjoy what you have and get back to taking great photos!

Matt

jules

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 17:25
Right that'll do me! Thanks Mike and Matt and all! I'lll keep the 17-70 not least because if I buy the 16-50 I'll have to let either the 12-24/Siggy 8-16 or the 60-250 drop from my plans and that would never do, I just need to work on Mike P a bit to get that Lens from his vice like grip!
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 20/02/2012 - 17:25

fritzthedog

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 18:59
I bought the Pentax 17-70 on Saturday (mainly due to Mike's recommendation) and spent all day Sunday using it as a walk about. Have to say - so far very impressed and no issue with focus - other than it being so fast and smooth I sometimes have to double check that it has actually focused!!!!!

I had the 16-45 and only kept it 2 weeks - did not like it at all. I have not owned the 16-50 so can not compare that one - but I know a member who bought one and is about to sell it as he is not at all impressed!

I bought the 17-70 as an upgrade to my Sigma 24-70 which I really liked but wanted it a bit wider - will be offering that one for sale soon - boxed - mint - anybody interested?

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

jules

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 21:24
Hi Carl, I love your'e Sig, that could just as well be about me
I'm Coming to the conclusion that of the Pentax Standard Zooms currently available this one will best fit my needs as I will aquire Lt'ds for any lowlight shooting I will do. So the bulkier F2.8 Zoom would be kinda redundant to me at least...
I've Got to stop chasing the greatest of everything, anyway and when it's good enough it'll do...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

Mike-P

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 21:25
jules wrote:

I've Got to stop chasing the greatest of everything, anyway and when it's good enough it'll do...

Trouble is it's never quite good enough is it

jules

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 22:37
Mike-P wrote:
jules wrote:

Trouble is it's never quite good enough is it

Emotional Rollercoaster...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
Last Edited by jules on 20/02/2012 - 22:38

George Lazarette

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 22:56
If you're such a good photographer that the only thing wrong with your pictures is purely their technical quality, then fair enough.

But if you're mortal, why not expend your energies on improving your technique and your compositions, and thereby save some money?

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

vrapan

Link Posted 20/02/2012 - 23:08
I have yet to try the DA* 16-50, I bought from here, properly in any way to make any judgement regarding its IQ. However I did try out the 17-70 and despite it being a nice light well constructed lens it does not hold a candle compared to the quality of the 16-50 and that is not before I even realised the fact that the 17-70 ring rotates.

To top that I value the 1 extra mm on the wide end more than I do the 20mm on the long end and the extra stop of brightness is huge. If you can get a s/h one the price difference is a lot smaller than if buying new.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.