Officers claim they don't need law to stop photographer taking pictures

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 11:03
Makes good reading AND viewing link
I love the part of him being a public hazard as a photographer or taking photographs of a police officer is a criminal offence.
I just love the way how he is defending his rights and the police is trying to twist what actually is going on.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

snappychappy

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 11:54
Pointless waste of the togs time arguing with the officer though. If he had moved on he would probably got more shot's.
My piccies.

womble

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 12:38
Personally I don't consider defending civil liberties and trying to prevent the UK becoming even more of a police state than it is already a waste of anyone's time.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Dangermouse

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 12:41
And the Police wonder why they're held in low regard in some areas...

It always seems to be the Met in these cases, and from what I read elsewhere they seem to be the most politicised force. The last government was intent on turning the Police into a means of controlling the populace rather than keeping the peace, and the Met seems to have been the worst affected. Most serving officers don't like it either and would like to get back to an impartial Police protecting the law-abiding public from genuine criminals.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

cabstar

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 12:46
old news believe the met apologised & the photographer sold a number of frames from the incident too....
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Oggy

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 12:51
womble wrote:
Personally I don't consider defending civil liberties and trying to prevent the UK becoming even more of a police state than it is already a waste of anyone's time.

K.

Head, nail etc. Well said.

Don

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 13:03
Oggy wrote:
womble wrote:

K.

Head, nail etc. Well said.

ditto
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

dougf8

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 13:24
I think we commented on this at the time but the video and soundtracks are interesting. The lad is excellent.

The legislators, who we vote in, don't look at every line in the law as drafted by the civil servants and the pressure groups, for example: ACPO. So when the police lobby for something like an ability to search anybody for no particular reason within a designated area within a specific time to prevent terrorism, it sounds like a good idea, The idea becomes law, and the police, for convenience just run the law all the time, making our civil liberties disappear.

Equally the law preventing photography of members of the armed forces and the police to identify them for terrorist purposes is twisted to mean you can't take a photo of any police or member of the armed forces (or Ex-).

Where these anomalies are exposed as being over the top or draconian, it is worth the 2nd class stamp, or email to your MP to highlight the fact that you feel your liberty is being encroached by the Police interpreting law (abusing) in a way far beyond what was intended by Parliament

Photography is something every family in the UK does. Every MP will understand the activity and it is NOT a party political issue. The liberty to take photos is an easy thing for every MP to support. The police/ACPO will always lobby to change laws to make their jobs easier. Photography is something that can be turned back on them and used against them. They see it as a threat where they can't control it.

While road wars/police camera action, night cops, etc etc are being broadcast as vetted unremittingly pro-police, the police can't claim not to have a still or video camera pointed in their direction.

protesting to your MP is easy. All it takes is to get a list of the incidents, jot them down with a sentence saying how much you feel your liberty is being curtailed by the action of a body meant to serve the public, and how you would like parliament to ensure your liberty to carry on using your camera without police interference.

Your MP will send you a nice letter of acknowledgement on lovely notepaper.
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 23/02/2011 - 13:28

Smeggypants

Link Posted 23/02/2011 - 15:57
womble wrote:

K.

[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.