Off to Italy hand luggage only...options on lenses please?

caj26

Link Posted 16/05/2015 - 17:50
Only going for three days two nights so taking my K3 18-135 should I squeeze in the 50 plastic prime. Any advice for night shot without a tripod!? Thanks.

McGregNi

Link Posted 16/05/2015 - 17:59
One of those gorilla -pod things? I certainly would try and take the 50 ... It's f1.8 isn't it? What's the max aperture of the zoom at 50mm .... Is it maybe f4.5... Quite a big difference ... You'll be able to get some nice creative close focus shots with blurry backgrounds with the 50 , handheld, that wouldn't work with the zoom.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

caj26

Link Posted 16/05/2015 - 19:36
Tried the SLR gorilla pod with the K511 it couldn't cope with the weight!! I have got a bean bag!
Thanks I will try and squeeze the 50 1.8 in!!!

doingthebobs

Link Posted 16/05/2015 - 19:39
How about a bean bag?
Use it to rest the camera for long exposures, using the self timer.
Bob

vic cross

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 08:34
x2 Use your beanbag.. There are now small beanbags for sale with a screw for fastening to your camera base. I'm not sure where to get them but I saw an advert for them so I'm sure you could find them if you looked hard enough. I'm going to look for one for my next holiday,
CHEERS Vic
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

johnriley

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 15:33
You don't need anything but the ability to improvise. The top of a wall, the side of a building or tree, wedging into some space as available, table tops, etc., all enhanced by a jacket or bag as an impromptu bean bag.

Having said that, a fast lens such as the 50mm f/1,8 plus a high ISO will mean hand held exposures are possible in the most amazingly unsuitable light.

Another option is to buy a cheap tripod when you arrive and leave it behind when you return home.
Best regards, John

50mpCMOS

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 19:29
A bit of Irony.

Considering how much I use LowePro rucksacks/gadget bags and all... The Gorilla pod line leaves a lot to be desired. I've seen quite the number of them fail completely, basically dumping both camera and lens to the surface. Also a majority (but not all) of the Gorilla pods do not have the wait capacity for such a camera and lens combo. Factor in , that's under ideal conditions, add the wind into that factor to tro to see how well all of it holds up?|

There's also the cheap tripod thing. Be sure to look at weight capacity (again, under ideal circumstances) very carefully. Be sure to check both the tripod capacity and also the possible tripod hear capacity

petrochemist

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 20:52
I'm off on a similar quick trip to Monaco this week.

My photographic kit will be somewhat more extensive as I usually need a long lens for motorsport (DA55-300 will have to do the Bigmos doesn't fit my camera bag) yet I also want a fast lens & a standard kit zoom for the rest of the time.

To make things awkward I want to do some IR on the flight (adding a second body but at least mines only a tiny micro4/3 job.)

I think all this will fit into my normal DSLR backpack. If I take out the DA10-17, teleconverters, Macro & off camera flash I might even have room for a change of clothes...
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr WPF Panoramio

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 21:00
I never take anything other than a standard zoom when I travel: it does nearly everything I want but, of course, you may take very different pictures to those favoured by others.

When I go to Spain next month I'll just rely on my MX-1 or EOS M. DSLRs plus bulky lenses take up so much room in hand baggage.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

K10D

Link Posted 17/05/2015 - 23:36
Hand luggage only.

I always wear a coat at check which has a lense in each pocket. These can be transfered to hand luggage after check in/security etc. To date, no restrictions on clothing.

Best regards
Last Edited by K10D on 17/05/2015 - 23:36

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 18/05/2015 - 06:51
K10D wrote:
Hand luggage only.

I always wear a coat at check which has a lense in each pocket. These can be transfered to hand luggage after check in/security etc. To date, no restrictions on clothing.

Best regards

One of the airport shops at Lulsgate has for sale a kind of WWII spive's coat with numerous poacher's pockets sewn in the lining. Try stuffing that in the over-head locker or under the seat in front.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

vic cross

Link Posted 18/05/2015 - 09:18
K10D wrote:
Hand luggage only.

I always wear a coat at check which has a lens in each pocket. These can be transferred to hand luggage after check in/security etc. To date, no restrictions on clothing.

Best regards

Been there. Done that. Great ploy.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

jeallen01

Link Posted 18/05/2015 - 09:56
vic cross wrote:
x2 Use your beanbag.. There are now small beanbags for sale with a screw for fastening to your camera base. I'm not sure where to get them but I saw an advert for them so I'm sure you could find them if you looked hard enough. I'm going to look for one for my next holiday,
CHEERS Vic

Something like the "Pod" range shown here - I have a small one, but relatively heavy for the size. However, they come filled with dry rice or similar, but have a zip so that they can be emptied and refilled as required.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

jeallen01

Link Posted 18/05/2015 - 10:00
bwlchmawr wrote:

One of the airport shops at Lulsgate has for sale a kind of WWII spive's coat with numerous poacher's pockets sewn in the lining. Try stuffing that in the over-head locker or under the seat in front.

You can buy poacher's jackets from camping stores and the like. I have a sleeveless one with lots of internal and external pockets, that can be worn under a normal outdoor coat - provided, of course, you don't fill all the pockets too full (and can remember what you put where!)
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

vic cross

Link Posted 18/05/2015 - 10:39
jeallen01 wrote:
vic cross wrote:
CHEERS Vic

Something like the "Pod" range shown here - I have a small one, but relatively heavy for the size. However, they come filled with dry rice or similar, but have a zip so that they can be emptied and refilled as required.

As yet it seems there is no UK dealer? I'm sure I've seen a different Ad. somewhere? I'll keep looking.
CHEERS Vic.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.